2010: year of the deer fly?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Empirical evidence shows they can keep up with me to about 8 or 9 MPH on my bike (steep uphill climbing speed) but above that they get dropped.

Tim

Wow, I thought you were faster than that, Tim. Now I don't feel so bad. ;)

I smashed at least a half dozen on my backside this morning while cycling out to Jaffery. I don't recall any on the return trip, but that may just be because I was so tired that I didn't notice them. Either that or they're hitchhiking in a southwesterly direction.... :rolleyes:

Roxi

We were harassed by them all week as well. They were worst on Twinway while headin to Bonds and the next day using Twinway to Zealand and exiting same. They hung in there and followed us greater distances than ever before. I pleasantly killed at least six of the offending buggers from Zealand Col to the top of Zealand.

Posed the following question via email to Thom Smith, resident Nature guru at the Berkshire Museum;

The Deer flies up in the hills are over bearing this year! Do you think this a result of weather (hot or cold), or is this a result of the decline in the brown bat population? I haven't seen a single bat at dusk this year. Usually they're flying all over the place!

My guess, from all I have heard is that it is probably due to weather. Deer flied are not nocturnal so bats or no bats would have little effect on population.
Thom

Thanks for the link - I couldn't resist ordering them. I'll be on the Long Trail soon and from reports - if these things are any good at all, carrying a few will be well worth it.
Just to see what would happen, I put a piece of duct tape on my hat on an evening walk at Great Brook Farm (Carlisle, MA) yesterday. We weren't attacked by any deer flies, but I did catch a fly that looked like a large house fly. Had to squish it on a tree to silence the annoying buzzing that was following me around.

I suppose I could try putting some permethrin on the tape to "auto silence" the buzzers...

Doug

And I, just to see what would happen, wrapped painter's masking tape, blue, sticky-side-out around a cup ... and I caught nothing, but two or three deer flies did swarm it.

Tim

And I, just to see what would happen, wrapped painter's masking tape, blue, sticky-side-out around a cup ... and I caught nothing, but two or three deer flies did swarm it.

Tim

I would think they would be more interested in the warmth from someone's head then in a cup.

They seem to attack the highest point, ignoring the warmth. The swarm the car on the way out of the garage in the AM, and it's not any warmer than the ambient air temp (and probably cooler from being in the garage.) This jives with the ambush predator statement made above.

And they do go for the high point - just put a stick up higher than your head and they won't usually bite you.

Tim

They seem to attack the highest point, ignoring the warmth. The swarm the car on the way out of the garage in the AM, and it's not any warmer than the ambient air temp (and probably cooler from being in the garage.) This jives with the ambush predator statement made above.

And they do go for the high point - just put a stick up higher than your head and they won't usually bite you.

Tim

Would they be attracted to the carbon dioxide from the car? Or the car itself? If it's the highest point on my body, I wonder why they would rather go for my face, arms, etc. and not my hat, or something sticking above my head, if temperature is not a factor? I've read that deer flies are attracted to movement, shiny surfaces, carbon dioxide, and warmth, and the color blue. Lots of variables.

Tim

I wouldn't think that painter's tape would be sticky enough to catch deer flies.

Guess it's time for another experiment!

Another unscientific experiment

Since some of the earlier posters talked about a bright blue color being an attractant, I decided to give it a try. Went on a one hour bike ride last Thursday evening before dusk with a bright blue t-shirt. The results were four bites and swarms of deer flies in 80 degrees and humid conditions.

I wore a white shirt last evening on a one hour ride in similar conditions. The results were two bites and about half the deer flies. Both evenings were very active for deer flies, as evidenced by the swarms that attacked my Toyota Tacoma.

In my case, a bright blue shirt attracted more of those heinous little critters than a white shirt. Based on this, I am going to toss my bright blue t-shirt deep into the closet until deer fly season is over. :)

Marty

All things deer flies

More ideas for thwarting flies from the New York Outdoors Blog:
http://newyorkoutdoors.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/are-deer-flies-bugging-you/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+NewYorkOutdoorsBlog+(New+York+Outdoors+Blog)

Patches do seem to work - see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Dc3W_gIVM 24 trapped in a four minute walk!

And:

The bright light at the end of the tunnel: the deer flies will start dying off in early August and outdoor activities will be much more enjoyable.

They are around, but I don't see more than usual... at least not in my experience. For instance, I didn't see any around Franconia Notch. But I am swarmed by them on the local trails that are near water.

That reminds me of some funny deer fly anecdotes from this summer:

1) I ride my bike through some woods paths and dirt roads. The deer flies provide plenty of incentive to keep up the pace. If you ride fast enough, the rough little buggers bounce off your arms, legs, and face. Thud. Thud. It's almost satisfying... until one of them bites through your lycra and into your butt. Ouch.

Anyway, I was riding up a dirt road as fast as my body could take me, swatting the little things off my posterior when I glanced behind me. There were a cloud of deer flies drafting me! I kept moving fast until I got onto pavement, and kicked up the speed a notch or two. There were still deer flies behind me. Some had taken to landing on my bike (handlebars, seat post, rack, etc...).

While flailing at these little hitchhikers, I kept accelerating. Eventually I got to a downhill section and lost them. Nasty, and tenacious, little buggers!

2) While on one of these mad dashes through the deer fly badlands, I saw movement ahead. Running towards me was a guy jogging. Shorts. No shirt. No hat. I didn't notice any swatting. The guy must have been superman, or had just taken a bath in DEET.

3) Once I stopped to fix my bike in the middle of these deer fly infested wetlands. I stopped and they immediately clouded out the sun (well, it was low by then anyway). Swatting like a madman, I put some thought into somehow harnessing the flies to get me home instead of pedal power. Then as I focused on the bike, the flies went away. When I was done, I started riding and was instantly surrounded by them, the ride punctuated by the thud, thud of flies bouncing off me.

My takeaway - it seems like they are attracted to motion.

Anyway, I'll take deer flies over deer ticks any day.

Last edited:
It's effective, but you'll definitely get some looks from passersby :D

Probably the same kind of looks that I got when I hiked on Sunday with my "tennis racket" (bug zapper racket) strapped to the side of my belt back.

Strange looks, chukles, "where's the tennis count?" comments, and two "Wow, that's smart. Where can I get one" comments.

We had deerflies chasing the car down Nash Stream Road yesterday. Seriously. We looked out both sides through the closed windows and they were right there, within a few inches of the glass, flying right alongside. Vicious, vengeful little suckers!

I brought my deer fly patches with me for a short hike up to Stratton mountain late Sunday afternoon and for a hike from Route 9 to Kelley Stand Road today. I did not encounter any deer flies, so did not take out the patches. Obviously, they are so powerful - they reply deer flies at a great distance, even when buried deep inside the pack.