2010: year of the deer fly?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst I remember in the cats. The bug racket works well, the dog waits til I zap the ones tormenting her, then bites them.
I have also seen several deer running full speed thru large open fields to escape them.

I don't know how it is throughout the Northeast, but the deerflies in Northeast Massachusetts have been unreal the past couple of weeks. Below are some highlights:

This morning when I walked 40 feet to get the newspaper, I was instantly attacked. I killed two that landed on my helipad (i.e., bald cranium), yet still had three others dive bombing me.

Last night I went for a bike ride on the local roads. I was constantly being chased by them, getting bit 5 times in the back and legs. I also had two that got inside my bike helmet, which royally sucked.

When I drive down our driveway into the garage, there are 15 of them buzzing all around my truck. On a normal year, I might have 2 to 3 doing this.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed an above normal deer fly population this year. :confused::mad::(

Marty

I encountered two on a hike a few weeks ago. I left them lying in the trail wingless and I haven't seen one since. Thanks for keeping them busy for me. :D

Hoping the electric bug racket gets a favorable review.

The results of a completely scientific test are:

Small wasp, stuck in the grid and incinerated.

Large wasp, not sure it got a complete charge, incapacitated for 10-15 seconds, then flew alway.

Deer files, 4 zapped - one moved it's legs for a little while, but all toasted.

Horse flies, no data-none encountered.

Lazy teenagers, no data yet-my wife is still in the house:rolleyes:

Final Review = Works for me! Lazy teenager results soon!

Glad to hear it worked for you. My fear with that method is that I will instinctively swat at a deer fly and get my hand stuck to the fly tape. Did that happen to you?

No, however, I did lose my cap a couple of times. When I would bend down, it kept sticking to the taller plants.

Maybe I'll just shave my head and put the patches right on my scalp . . . cleanup would be tricky though :D

The results of a completely scientific test are:

Small wasp, stuck in the grid and incinerated.

Large wasp, not sure it got a complete charge, incapacitated for 10-15 seconds, then flew alway.

Deer files, 4 zapped - one moved it's legs for a little while, but all toasted.

Horse flies, no data-none encountered.

Lazy teenagers, no data yet-my wife is still in the house:rolleyes:

Final Review = Works for me! Lazy teenager results soon!

I used one while doing trailwork yesterday. There were a few Black Flies swarming around my face when I sat down for lunch. A couple passes of the Job Lot Bug Zapper racket and they were toast (smelled like burnt toast). :cool: I found it satisying in a strange way esp. after the torture they inflcited on me last Friday.

Deer Flies weren't a problem higher up on the trail but down lower near the water crossings, they were out in force. Again, the Lot Bug Zapper racket paid for itself. It wasn't as impressive as it was earlier with the Back Flies but I still sent about 6 or 7 to Davy Jones Locker (Little River style).

I think it will be one of my essential pieces of equipment in the Spring/Summer.

Glenn

Agree with OP...it's been the talk around here as well. I don't remember such prolific numbers of them. At my brother's house in downest Maine it was also crazy. Hope they go away soon :rolleyes:

They are awful this year. Everywhere we go they are bad.

I was wondering if their increased population has anything to do with the wet early summer of 2009. Perhaps more of their eggs survived.

One other idea is it is a F&G plot to help reduce the number of SAR rescues. Somehow the government has to be behind this outbreak!!

This morning I headed off to Pleasant Mt. (ME) to try and get a hike in before the rain. (We didn't quite make it.) As we pulled into The Ledges trailhead, the deer flies swarmed around the car.

When we started out the flies swarmed around us and Lauky looked like a bee hive, because of the way they were swarming around him. I pulled out the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus and sprayed him with it. It was incredible. The flies disappeared and I didn't see one again.

As for myself, I sprayed on some picaridin it also seemed to work pretty well.

Would I look crazy if I hiked with a Zap Racket?? :D

Also, I remember some years ago being at Nauset Beach on the Cape, getting harassed by biting flies. A stranger noticed my group's dilemma and came over with a bottle of Skin-So-Soft and said, "Here, try this." Worked like a charm...

Last edited:
They're horrendous here in the Berkshires! They are all over our black lab, so perhaps being attracted to dark colors has some merit?

I'm also wondering if this is direct result of the die-off of brown bats that's diminished the population in the Northeast? I haven't seen one bat yet this year at dusk. Usually they're all over the place.

Deer flies are worse than usual in SoVT.

We've lost hundreds of thousands of bats to white nose syndrome in the last few years so I suspect that we will soon see a proliferation of nocturnal bugs as well.

Now that you mention it... the deer flies were kinda thick Thursday evening on my owl survey (Fredericton, New Brunswick).

Worst I ever saw though was in '95 at Fort Drum, NY. We decided to run the trails in by the medical facility on the north side of the base. It was the only time Maj Gould ever beat me on a run.... I figure he had a couple hundred flies all over his back as he high-tailed it out of the woods! I think all of us lost a couple pints of vampire smoothie on that run.

I doubt it is a bat problem. More likely a mild winter allowing lot's of eggs to survive. Though the bat issue is very troubling... I like those little guys.

Yeah, I'm in the northeast kingdom and they're terrible this year. I think hot summer weather early on makes the problem worse. The last year I can remember them being this bad was when I thru-hiked in '91, which was a hot, dry summer. They were awful that year from northern Virginia clear up to Caratunk.