Trek to a Prehistoric NH Volcano, and to a Pond with a Prehistoric Feel (July 2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Over the past few weeks, I've done some bushwhacking (surprise!).
It's all been interesting to me, but to many folks, maybe not so much!:) Below are a few words and a few photos about two of my recent adventures.

Cape Horn (Groveton, NH):

If New Hampshire has a geologic claim to fame, then it is probably related to ring dikes. As I understand it, these are remnants of ancient volcanoes. When seen on a topographic map the dikes are conspicuous formations with a circular outline. Although there are several ring dike locations throughout NH, it's my understanding that the most complete ring dike is in the Ossipees. Cape Horn (located in Groveton NH) is classified as ring dike, but all that remains today of the once circular formation is a crescent shaped mountain.

Much of Cape Horn resides on public land within the boundaries of the Cape Horn State Forest. As far as I know, there are no official hiking trails, but there is one small section of this State Forest that abuts Lost Nation Road. From there, a hike/bushwhack can be launched. There are some corridors that can be helpful. I don't know if they are old logging roads, snowmobile trails, or whatever.

There's an excellent online scientific report about the geology, and flora of the Cape Horn State Forest (click HERE). Among other things, this report contains some really nice photos of wildflowers and other flora located within this forest area.

Below are a few snapshots that I took.

View Southward (In foreground, note forested rim of ring-dike curving from center of photo to right side)
CapeHorn_SouthwardVu.JPG

View Northward (note Percy Peaks in center of photo)
CapeHorn_NorthwardVu.JPG

Ledge Areas at Top of the Ring Dike
ViewofTopOfRingDike.JPG
--------------------------------------------------------------
Duck Pond:

Duck Pond is another spot that I recently visited. There are no trails, and so this was a bushwhack. I launched this trek from a point off the Nancy Pond Trail in the vicinity of Nancy Pond itself. It was not one of the easier whacks I've done, and if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably launch the whack from the Signal Ridge Trail and follow the Whiteface Brook corridor.

Although Duck Pond doesn't have the same mystic of an ancient volcano (such as Cape Horn), nonetheless it does have sort of a prehistoric feel to it. The shoreline is generally swampy and I spotted a number of amphibians (frogs) and reptiles (snakes). Also, carnivorous plants (Purple Pitcher plants to be exact) were spotted along the shoreline. I think there is something wonderfully prehistoric about carnivorous plants. They can conjure up images of dinosaurs lurking about!:eek:

Below is a collage of photos of the carnivorous Purple Pitcher plants which were taken from different vantage points.

Purple Pitcher Plant
PitcherPlantCollage.jpg

And, the photo below shows a view of the Duck Pond itself. It was taken from the eastern shore looking westward toward the col between Mt. Lowell and Mt. Anderson. Although the pond isn't all that large, I couldn't find a vantage point where I could capture an image of the entire pond. Perhaps if I wasn't being consumed by carnivorous insects, then I might have taken more time to try to find an all encompassing vantage point!:(

Duck Pond (looking westward toward col between Mt. Lowell and Mt. Anderson)

Westward_Vu_Toward_Lowell_Anderson_Col.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Nice adventures (and pictures) as usual. So are the Balfaces, Whiteface Bowl and Jobilunk Ravine by Moosliaukee former volacanoes too?

Duck Pond is a tough whack from the North too, but the trip up the brook from Signal Ridge is no picnic either. It's a long boulder hopping run for several miles. I was hoping the East path would have been easier.

On the other hand, difficult whacks mean less crowds.

Looks awesome up there! I've never heard of the Cape Horn Forest, but it looks really neat.

But I have heard of Duck Pond, and wanted to check it out some day. I still do...your pic of it is beautiful. The pemi is full of everything amazing.

Thanks for posting these. Don't ever think we won't find it interesting. I guarantee you I will anyways!

John, that ledge on the brim of Cape Horn looks like a jewel of a place to visit! You did indeed have quite a prehistoric adventure! :)

Cool! We recently moved to Maidstone VT, just past Guildhall, and we have a nice view of Cape Horn. I've been wanting to go explore up there, but I just haven't had the time.

Cape Horn

Very interesting as always...another so called "volcano" is located in Milan NH at the end of Chickwolnepy Road consisting of Big Bald Mt and Little Bald Mt.. they can be viewed good from the Success area..a geologist stated that at one time Bald Mt. was pretty massive, but when it blew, it collapsed on itself forming the two present mountains..to the west is Little Cambridge and to the north is Cambridge Black (firetower peak, I have seen the old timbers but could not find them the last time i was up there)..I was up on Cambridge Black in winter and that has an awesome view..Little Cambridge has an interesting
"ravine" on its east side viewed from Rt. 16..there are gravel roads that lead from Dummer off the Blake Road that will lead you to Success Pond and/or Rt. 26 in Upton Me...heavily wooded mts though, couple of small ledges on the Balds..great area for foliage..pine forest summit is very similar to one of your as always great photos..regards, Lefty E

Last edited:
Thanks, Happy! I've had this pond in mind for so long and once I started toward it from Nancy Pond but abandoned mission due to high difficulty and low energy.

Excellent TR and nice pics, especially the Pitcher Plant images. Thanks for sharing. You da man!

happy trails :)

Thanks everyone!

Mahony: Thanks for your kind words. Also, thanks for your insight about bushwhacking to Duck Pond via Whiteface Brook off the Signal Ridge Trail. Hmmm! It sounds like there's simply no easy approach to this pond.

PeterM: Thanks for the reminder. Yup . . . Pawtuckaway is yet another spot in NH where one can have a ring-dike hiking experience!

Grouseking: Phil . . .glad you enjoyed the report. Both destinations were fun hikes. I hope you can get to one or both of them. Cape Horn hike is definitely an easier trek than Duck Pond. So, if you're ever up in the "north" North Country in the Groveton area, you should give it a try.

NeoAkela: Chris . . . thanks for your reply. As you said, Cape Horn is "a jewel of a place to visit". It is worth a return visit since I didn't have the time to fully explore it when I was there.

Nutosa: Glad you liked the report. And, since you have a view of Cape Horn from your new home in Maidstone, VT, then you definitely have to go there! It is an easy hike from Lost Nation Road, and very worthwhile!

Lefty E: Thanks for your kind words, and also thanks for the interesting comments about Bald Mountain, and Little Bald Mountain up there in Milan. New Hampshire is just filled with an unending supply of places to explore!

Forestgnome: Patrick . . . your nice words are much appreciated. But you know what . . . I really think that "you da man"!!:cool:

I believe there is some discussion as to whether or not Jobildunc Ravine is a glacial cirque....not sure about the others....

Pretty sure that Jobildunc Ravine is a glacial cirque, I used to have an old research article saying it was, when I did a report on glacial cirques and tarns of the white mtns back in college.

I don't remember reading about the Baldfaces, but perhaps?? I thought I read something sating it was cirque-like. But I also read something saying it was a cirque. Whiteface bowl, from what I remember, is an old glacial cirque.

As for former volcanoes, what about Welch and Dickey?

grouseking

Last edited:
Pretty sure that Jobildunc Ravine is a glacial cirque, I used to have an old research article saying it was, when I did a report on glacial cirques and tarns of the white mtns back in college.

I don't remember reading about the Baldfaces, but perhaps?? I thought I read something sating it was cirque-like. But I also read something saying it was a cirque. Whiteface bowl, from what I remember, is an old glacial cirque.

As for former volcanoes, what about Welch and Dickey?

grouseking

Not sure whether all of these are cirques, although I followed George Haselton's AMC Appalachia 1975 (?) article by including Jobildunc as a cirque in my GpQ 1999 article.

Welch and Dickey were definitely not volcanoes, for the reason noted by DougPaul.

Welch and Dickey were definitely not volcanoes, for the reason noted by DougPaul.

I have heard that Little Rattlesnake in Raymond is a volcanic neck made of lava that didn't get to the surface, being harder than surrounding material it didn't erode as fast
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.00440,-71.18917&z=15&t=T&marker0=43.03620,-71.18340

I also heard that when a developer wanted to build in the area, a local said that if this neck was blasted away then lava would rise up from the center of the earth and destroy the whole town - when the developer was speechless the planning board voted it down

I also heard that when a developer wanted to build in the area, a local said that if this neck was blasted away then lava would rise up from the center of the earth and destroy the whole town - when the developer was speechless the planning board voted it down
Pseudo-science lives yet again!

Doug

I have heard that Little Rattlesnake in Raymond is a volcanic neck made of lava that didn't get to the surface, being harder than surrounding material it didn't erode as fast
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.00440,-71.18917&z=15&t=T&marker0=43.03620,-71.18340

I think that that Little Rattlesnake Mountain in NH is underlain by Massabesic gneiss......no comment on science education in New Hampshire. :(

Last edited: