Hiker rescued off Knife Edge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csprague

Reaction score
The hiker was a member of a news team (WLBZ-2 in Bangor, their NBC affiliate) who fell 10-12 feet sustaining head injuries, and was evacuated by an ANG Blackhawk Medivac helicopter.

From the article:

The fall was reported at 12:30 p.m. by Jackie Ward, another member of the hiking party and employee of WLBZ News. A ranger was dispatched to the scene. Park rangers then notified the 126th Army National Guard Medivac Unit in Bangor, who arrived in a Blackhawk Medivac Helicopter, according to the park.

WLBZ television news anchor Chris Faccini, who at one time was an anchor for WCSH in Lewiston, was also in the hiking group. According to the press release, the three were hiking the trail on assignment for WLBZ.

I wonder if they got any video of it? A friend of mine who used to work at WLBZ informs me that the injured hiker was one of their camera men, so perhaps not.

http://www.sunjournal.com/approved/story/878880

What a shame. It sounds like a great assignment, too bad it had to end up the way it did. Nice work by the rescue team. This guy is fortunate to be alive. Hopefully he's getting the best of medical care.

I'm guessing it was in the col between Pamola and Chimney Peak. Could he have been trying to negotiate that while carrying a camera?

When people ask me about the Knife Edge and danger, I tell them that, aside from that col, it's just rock hopping. If you fall, it's just for three or four feet.

When people ask me about the Knife Edge and danger, I tell them that, aside from that col, it's just rock hopping. If you fall, it's just for three or four feet.
Unless you fall over the side...

I recall some spots where one could go a long way down a chute. (From my winter traverse of the ridge--snow and ice might have smoothed the way...)

Doug