What Do You Call Someone Who Hikes Nearly 11 Miles to See a Waterfall? (17-Jul-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
So, what DO you call someone who hikes nearly 11 miles to see a waterfall? Well, in this case, I'd call this person a friend! I'm guessing that there are not many folks (other than a friend) who would be willing to indulge me by agreeing to hike 10.8 miles round trip to see a waterfall.:)

My friend Zman agreed to join me on a trek to satisfy what many would consider to be a warped desire to visit Dry River Falls. And although it's a long hike, there's nothing particularly difficult about it. It doesn't even involve a bushwhack!:D It's just a straight shot up, and then back down, the Dry River Trail.

I don't consider myself as a "bagger" of any sort, i.e. not a peak-bagger, nor a pond-bagger, nor a waterfall-bagger. However, it is sometimes nice to complete a set of something (like in a card game, etc). Dry River Falls was the only named waterfall in the Crawford Notch that I'd never visited. So, for that reason I wanted to visit this waterfall, plus I was intrigued by photos that I'd seen of this place.

As anyone knows who has hiked the Dry River Trail for any significant distance, there are some roller-coaster PUDs along the way. Although PUD stands for "pointless ups & downs", perhaps in this case the word "pointless" isn't completely appropriate.

As I understand it, the original trail was a smoother trek since it followed the old logging railroad bed. However, to maintain a gentle gradient up the valley, the railroad crossed the Dry River 13 times to take advantage of whichever bank of the river provided the smoothest & flattest corridor to lay the tracks. For a hiking trail to cross a river 13 times is inviting problems. After several hiker drownings in the 1970s, the trail was relocated to eliminate the multiple crossings. This relocation resulted in the trail running along terrain that is more undulating than the original trail, but it's now a much safer corridor for hikers.

Okay . . . I got off-track (no pun intended) about our trek to Dry River Falls. Even with the PUDs that are interspersed here & there, there are still many long stretches of trail that follow the old railroad grade, and therefore you can make pretty good time. After deducting the time taken for various stops along the way (and for a long lunch break at the waterfall), the total actual hiking time was just under 5.5 hrs for the nearly 11 mile journey.

We were both impressed with the beauty of Dry River Falls. Many folks on this Forum have been to this spot and likely have their own photos. Nonetheless, shown below are a few snapshots of the falls taken from a few different viewing locations.

Approaching the Falls from the Spur Path off the Dry River Trail

P1060170.JPG

Frontal View of Falls

P1060196.JPG

Side View of Falls

P1060174.JPG

As said earlier, this trek is a bit on the long-side. However, it's not like you're walking through a bleak and barren landscape! The trail takes you through the very heart of the Presidential Dry River Wilderness. There's plenty of natural beauty to keep you entertained. For one thing, the river is in view for most of the journey. And besides the vast forest all around you, there are numerous vignettes of plant life on a much smaller scale. Scattered here & there along the trail are little groupings of vegetation such as shown in the snapshot below.

P1060201.JPG

And so, this was a nice trek to a nice spot, and even nicer yet was that Zman opted to join me on this waterfall escapade!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
full disclosure

Yes, I am a friend and I was not forced to do this hike-

I did it for the beer..that is, the coefficient of beer : the longer you walk on a hot day the better the beer tastes at the end of the day (sorry, no pics of the Corona):):):)

Also: I got to see the new bridge:)

938931387_BRNcA-M.jpg

Walking along the river for 5 miles provided a very cool breeze

And: the splash and mist from the falls was totally refreshing
938931482_8WTFG-M.jpg
:)

I think Dry River falls is one of the most beautiful in NH. Good fishing up there too, chilly for a dip though!

Yes, I am a friend and I was not forced to do this hike-
Marty . . . thanks for posting the full disclosure that you were not "forced to do this hike"!;)

I think Dry River falls is one of the most beautiful in NH.
You know Matt . . . I had the same thought! And, it's simply super that it's so far back in there. If it was a short & easy hike such as Arethusa or Ripley, then it would surely be overran with tourist hikers!

Ah - I would call them a crazy person! :D;)
Great photos, John - I haven't been to this one yet. Nice to see some good shots of this faraway beauty! :)
Chris . . . glad you liked the snapshots! But granted . . . perhaps it might be considered as being a bit eccentric to hike that far for an H20 destination!:eek::)

I remember missing a few days of school to go swimming there! It was one of our favorite spots as teenagers to hang out at. Upper falls was always way to crowded for us, we needed a bit more privacy.

I like it... will add this to my ever-long to-do list of hikes! Looks def worth it. Thanks.

I remember missing a few days of school to go swimming there! It was one of our favorite spots as teenagers to hang out at. Upper falls was always way to crowded for us, we needed a bit more privacy.
That is cool (and I'll bet it was!:D) Did you guys mostly go swimming in the pool at the base of the main waterfall? Or, maybe you also swam in that huge pothole pool of water shown in the photo below. (This is the place you can reach by scrambling up to the top of the falls and heading upstream just a short distance).
I like it... will add this to my ever-long to-do list of hikes! Looks def worth it. Thanks.
Glad you liked reading about this rather remote spot. Although it's somewhat of a long trek, I think it's definitely a list-worthy destination.

And if you're up for swimming in cool mountain water, then you can follow in Bandana4me's footsteps! You've got your choice of two pools, the one at the base of the falls (shown at beginning of this report), or the pothole pool (shown below) which is located above the main waterfall.

P1060190.JPG

Last edited:
I'm guessing that there are not many folks (other than a friend) who would be willing to indulge me by agreeing to hike 10.8 miles round trip to see a waterfall.:)
I'm not sure why that's wackier than doing a probably steeper and rougher 11 miles to a peak :)

After several hiker drownings in the 1970s, the trail was relocated to eliminate the multiple crossings. This relocation resulted in the trail running along terrain that is more undulating than the original trail, but it's now a much safer corridor for hikers.
I think only one hiker ever drowned (after a hurricane) but it was certainly more convenient to have fewer crossings. The original relo still stayed muchly on the RR but there was a later round of relo to bypass muddy spots that like much recent FS trailwork had more up-and-down than was necessary.

I'm guessing that there are not many folks (other than a friend) who would be willing to indulge me by agreeing to hike 10.8 miles round trip to see a waterfall.:)
I'm not sure why that's wackier than doing a probably steeper and rougher 11 miles to a peak :)
Roy, if you're saying what I think you're saying then I'm in agreement with you about this! To me, a destination is a destination!:)

There have been times when I've hiked a trail that leads to a peak, but I've not gone all the way to the top since my destination on that particular day was to some other point along the trail which was of particular interest to me.

So, to do a 10.8 (round-trip) hike along the Dry River Trail to go to a waterfall is really no big deal to me. As you said: "I'm not sure why that's wackier than doing a probably steeper and rougher 11 miles to a peak". And, even if others might feel differently about this, that's okay. All that really matters is that you enjoy the hikes you do, regardless of how you do them, and regardless of what you call a destination!

After several hiker drownings in the 1970s, the trail was relocated to eliminate the multiple crossings. This relocation resulted in the trail running along terrain that is more undulating than the original trail, but it's now a much safer corridor for hikers.
I think only one hiker ever drowned (after a hurricane) but it was certainly more convenient to have fewer crossings. The original relo still stayed muchly on the RR but there was a later round of relo to bypass muddy spots that like much recent FS trailwork had more up-and-down than was necessary.
I very much respect your historic knowledge about the Whites. Therefore, chances are good that you're right about there being just one death. And, I do know that just because something gets perpetuated in print does not make it true. However, there are statements in references such as Bolnick's book (Waterfalls of the White Mountains) where multiple deaths are implied by the statement: "The Dry River is not just tricky; it has killed hikers trying to cross in high water.":confused:

Last edited:
So, to do a 10.8 (round-trip) hike along the Dry River Trail to go to a waterfall is really no big deal to me. As you said: "I'm not sure why that's wackier than doing a probably steeper and rougher 11 miles to a peak".
And, I do know that just because something gets perpetuated in print does not make it true.
About a third of my hikes go to no summits - I used to like to visit waterfalls in the rain due to high flow but then I'm not big into photography

The Mt Washington Observatory highlights the Dry River incident but lists only 6 deaths by drowning in the entire range - at least one was in the Great Gulf as noted in Not Without Peril
http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/surviving.php

Sweet

Happy,

I have decided that I no longer need guidebooks. I just review your trail reports and then I can plan some awesome hikes. Your pictures show me the details I really care about....I see two swimmin' holes with rock ledges on the sides...now that's worth 11 miles (or more)!

The Mt Washington Observatory highlights the Dry River incident but lists only 6 deaths by drowning in the entire range - at least one was in the Great Gulf as noted in Not Without Peril
http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/surviving.php
Thanks Roy for the additional info!
---------------------------------

HockeyPuck; DougPaul; Mahony: I'm 1FlatteredHiker by your thoughtful replies.

My short response is simply 'thank you', and my longer response is 'thank you very much'!:)

So, what DO you call someone who hikes nearly 11 miles to see a waterfall?
The "fall guy"? After all you are a bit of a landscape goat. You never shy away from doing your own stunt / leg work to produce great photos -- which is perhaps the only crime of which you are guilty.

As usual an enjoyable TR with beautiful eye candy photos.

Just noticed this now. Awesome!

I've been wanting to get in there for some time, but I wasn't sure of the trail conditions because it is a wilderness area. Looks like there is nothing for me to worry about (except for the high water crossings after heavy rains of course).

Thanks for sharing (again).