Bridge out on Arlington-Stratton Rd in VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedxing

Reaction score
Going from Stratton along the Arlington Stratton Road to the Kelley Stand Rd. trail crossing we found the bridge was out entirely. This can be bypassed by taking Newell Hill Rd from Route 100 (just a little north of Arlington-Stratton road).

I can't say I know for sure. When we passed through on the 18th, it looked like it was an established site - there was no bridge in place and it looked like they were putting in supports. It didn't look like something thrown together in a few days.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's useful info in case Kelley Stand is the rendezvous point when my wife meets me for my SOBO LT hike in August. Do you know when the start date was?

Going from Stratton along the Arlington Stratton Road to the Kelley Stand Rd. trail crossing we found the bridge was out entirely. This can be bypassed by taking Newell Hill Rd from Route 100 (just a little north of Arlington-Stratton road).

Haven't been up there in a while,is there any impact coming up from
Arlington-Kelly Stand Rd. reaching the trailhead?

Last edited:
The only impact is coming from the east (Wardsboro/Stratton and Rt 100) - and the bypass doesn't add much time if you have planned your route or can consult a detailed map like DeLorme on the spot. From the West (Arlington - Rt. 7) the road was clear.

Also in that are there are construction delays between Bennington and the LT/AT trail head during construction hours (we waited maybe 20 minutes to a half hour shortly after 8AM - but that is probably worst case as we waited for some construction work and then traffic coming the other way).

Stop by and chat with the resident engineer - he is a former GMC official and fire tower enthusiast

The only impact is coming from the east (Wardsboro/Stratton and Rt 100) - and the bypass doesn't add much time if you have planned your route or can consult a detailed map like DeLorme on the spot. From the West (Arlington - Rt. 7) the road was clear.

Also in that are there are construction delays between Bennington and the LT/AT trail head during construction hours (we waited maybe 20 minutes to a half hour shortly after 8AM - but that is probably worst case as we waited for some construction work and then traffic coming the other way).

Do I understand this correctly? The problem in not on the Arlington Westwardsboro Road (Kelly Stand) but on Rt 100 coming from Stratton. Or is it on the narrow back road that comes from Stratton to Kelly stand?

If you are coming from Mt Snow to Kelly Stand is there a problem? Sounds to me like the Kelly Stand road is intact.
Sorry, I cannot get a visual on exactly what you are referring to.

The bypass that you are referring to is that off route 100? Is that the narrow windy road that comes from Stratton to Kelly Stand?
Sorry for the confusion.

If you turn from route 100 onto the Arlington-Stratton Road you will come to the bridge which is being rebuilt and will not be able to cross. This isn't a huge problem because taking Newell Hill Road to W. Jamaica Road will get you back to the road (this turn off is just a little north of Arlington-Stratton Road).

Part of the confusion is the variability in what the road is called. There is one long road coming from Rt. 100 in West Wardsboro which crosses the LT/AT and makes it almost to Route 7. The road has 3 different names: Arlington-Stratton Rd, Kelley Stand Road, and Stratton-Arlington Road. It seems like the name change comes at different places on different maps.

If you turn from route 100 onto the Arlington-Stratton Road you will come to the bridge which is being rebuilt and will not be able to cross. This isn't a huge problem because taking Newell Hill Road to W. Jamaica Road will get you back to the road (this turn off is just a little north of Arlington-Stratton Road).

Part of the confusion is the variability in what the road is called. There is one long road coming from Rt. 100 in West Wardsboro which crosses the LT/AT and makes it almost to Route 7. The road has 3 different names: Arlington-Stratton Rd, Kelley Stand Road, and Stratton-Arlington Road. It seems like the name change comes at different places on different maps.

Thanks! I was planning on going up there and this is very helpful.

Detour if northbound on Rt 100

Led a trail maintenance trip this past weekend on the Long Trail between the bridge at Black Brook and Story Spring Shelter. Bridge is still out.

But, starting at intersection of Rts 9 and 100:

Go north on Rt 100 for 11.5 mis.
Turn left on Penny Ave.
Drive 1.1 mis to T intersection at Pike Hollow Rd.
Turn right and drive 0.5 mis to Stratton/Arlington Rd.
Turn left and continue as you wish.

From the resident engineer:

> Bridge opened last Thursday at 5:30 P.M. Problem no longer exists!!!!!

Does anyone know the bridge is still there? Was planning on hiking long trail this weekend starting there.

I have been told in sept that you can get to the AT/LT parking lot from the east, aka the town of stratton. I suspect the route from bennington area is still closed though....

You can try to call/ask the Green Mountain Club who I believe told me back in early sept of the access to that trailhead. I believe it was mentioned the road was in somewhat rough shape but passable. This is of course, before the snow and stuff..

Jay

Kelly Stand was most definitely not accessible from the west. I was told that it was not accessible from the either, but did not check. We drove north and did the 5th division instead.

I am going up there this week but approaching it from West Wardsboro. Spoke to the District Ranger today and should have not problem parking near the LT.
I plan on walking that road toward Arlington and he told me to just watch my footing in certain areas.
The repairs are almost finished on the 71 side.

Let me know if you can get through. When we drove in from Wardsboro the road was so blocked it did not look like it was possible to even walk through.

Let me know if you can get through. When we drove in from Wardsboro the road was so blocked it did not look like it was possible to even walk through.

Went up there yesterday and parked on the road at Kelly Stand Parking area near Grout Pond Rd. I did not expect the snow because when I had checked they mentioned "rain". I changed my plans and hiked in to the Grout Pond area. It was also predicted to be sunny and it was cold, and overcast. Had not brought my big down parka and did not want to venture where footing might be "unstable" as the ranger had warned me.

I can tell you that I did see one hunter drive his truck a "short" distance beyond Kelly Stand but he came back out in record time and drove off. The ranger did tell me there were a few brave souls driving it, but he certainly was not encouraging it. If fact on the sign ROAD CLOSED IN WINTER, THE "IN WINTER" WAS BLACKED OUT. It appeared to me that the road was "officially closed" and not only "in winter." :) The ranger had also told me he did not expect that road to be repaired until spring, but 71 end was almost finished and would be accessible soon.

A Suburu Outback drove down toward Grout Pond and got stuck several times when he attempted to turn back in the area of the cabin. Needed a push. Maybe his tires were not great.

Sure was pretty out there and very few people. One hiker as I was leaving and a few hunters who left soon after I arrived.

Hope this helps.