Catskill questions.........

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Hi, I have vague plans for more extensive exploration of the Catskills and was wondering if any of the trail less peaks under 3500 have canisters. Not that it's that important, but if they're there I'll keep a look out for them.

I'm also wondering if anyone has a list of plane crash sites in the Catskills. Thanks, Fred

I would guess that the folks doing the NY 3,000 footers would have put cannisters on them. Dennis C. and John S. can answer more authoritatively since they are the guilty ones :) :)

I have only been on 10 of the sub-3500 trailless 3Ks. To the best of my knowledge no sub-3500 Catskill peak has a canister. If they are on forest preserve land within one of the Wild Forest or Wilderness Areas a canister would be nonconforming. Only the 3500 canisters have been granted exceptions. Of course many of the 3Ks are on private land and/or are outside the jurisdiction of UMPs. I agree that John and Dennis would know.

You can get a list of plane crashes in the Catskills from the 3500 club yahoo group site. Someone mentioned did a list of most of the wrecks and there was a good amount. This was mentioned a few months ago. Here is the site I tried to do a search but only came across the crash site for Friday/BC you might want to ask someone on their as well.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3500club/?yguid=136010569