How long to hike Cadillac Mt in Acadia?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
In about a week I will be waking at an unreasonable hour at the Blackwoods Campground and making the hike up the ridgeline to Cadillac Mountain. I am aiming to be there about 1/2 hour before sunrise. How long does this hike take normally? I know the elevation gain isn't all that much but I suspect the trail is pretty rugged. And I have no experience hiking in the darkness.

Someone else can comment on the time it takes. I hiked it a few years ago, but can't remember exactly how long it took. The Acadia mountains are tiny. I remember the trail like a nature trail, built staircases and all, like a park walk if you're used to ADK trails.

Not having hiked at night before will make it fun. Take an extra headlamp. They're so light these days that "the best place to keep your extra batteries is in your extra headlamp." Also take a couple extra layers, like long pants, a sweater and a windshell. Depending on the day, it can be A LOT cooler and breezier at night, especially if you are hanging out for 1/2 hour. Even though it's summer, I'll bet you'll love having a thermos of hot coffee or hot chocolate in your pack, too. Also consider using poles; they are handy on a groomed trail at night, when you step on something that rolls or shifts, that you didn't quite see.

After you get to a comfortable spot, kill the light and close your eyes for a couple minutes to improve the view.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Last month we hiked from Rt. 3 up the South Ridge Trail to Cadillac's summit in 2 hours (3.5 miles). It's an additional .7 from the Campground. It's not a difficult trail.
Once you reach Eagle Crag (2.0 miles) you come out onto open ledges at an easy grade. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Donna:)

Last month we hiked from Rt. 3 up the South Ridge Trail to Cadillac's summit in 2 hours (3.5 miles). It's an additional .7 from the Campground. It's not a difficult trail.
Once you reach Eagle Crag (2.0 miles) you come out onto open ledges at an easy grade. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Donna:)

I agree. 2 hours sounds about right anytime I've hiked that trail from Rt 3. I'm not sure how much additional time hiking it at night might add, but I love your idea of watching the sun rise from the summit. Enjoy! :)