Hennessy Hammocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm about the click 'purchase' at rei.com and get myself the Hennessy Scout Hammock.. but before I do that, just seeing if anyone who uses one has any pro/con wisdom. They seem awesome and a good light alternative shelter for backpacking.

Thanks!

http://www.rei.com/product/799604

id love to help you out but there isn't a single tree on this damn island and the sheep won't stand still long enough to set one up either. sorry

In most instances, its the best way to sleep ever. I have used mine where ever there are trees to use. I have not used it below freezing but right near freezing mark with a 3/4 air mattress under me with a sleeping bag of course. The entry is a little odd but works well when you get use to it. It is generally my first choice to use when camping now and FARMER it can be setup on the ground kind of like a tent if your sheep won't always cooperate.

Oh yeah, snakeskins, don't leave home without them. Great little invention, worth the money.

Keith

Last edited:
I bought a Hennessy hammock, returned it, and bought a Speer hammock after a bit of testing. IMO, while the Hennessy is a bit lighter, the Speer is a more practical design. (Speer has a book describing the design--you can buy the whole thing, build it yourself, or a combination. http://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Campi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280412048&sr=8-1 ) The Speer is a symmetrical design allowing you to sleep on either diagonal. http://www.speerhammocks.com/

I have used my hammock for several nights and have found it to be very practical and comfortable. If there are no trees, you can set it up as a tarp. (The Speer hammock uses an 8x10 ft silnylon tarp as a fly.)

I have done a backyard test to ~20F and DebW (who has made several Speers and has some modified designs) has done a backyard test to -5F).

The details have been discussed a number of times--search on "Speer" or "Hennessy".

Doug

Last edited:
ahhh. thanks. i was hoping it would be something more exciting.. but it does sound very useful! and thanks for the info thus far as i'm too lazy to research myself. ;)

ahhh. thanks. i was hoping it would be something more exciting.. but it does sound very useful! and thanks for the info thus far as i'm too lazy to research myself. ;)
It wouldn't have taken much effort--all you had to do was google "hammock snakeskin".

I suggest that you at least summon the energy to check out the Speer hammock before clicking on it or the Hennessy. :)

While I have my preference, there are happy users of both designs.

Doug

But then I wouldn't have the pleasure of conversing with you Mr. Paul!

But then I wouldn't have the pleasure of conversing with you Mr. Paul!
You will get that opportunity next Wednesday at the Tiki Bar, with or without the questions... :)

(I even invited DebW (the real expert), but I suspect that she won't show up. Maybe if I tell her that you are interested in hammocks...)

I can bring my Speer if you want to take a look--in any case, we can discuss the issue in as much detail you wish.

Doug

Last edited:
I love my Hennessy. I have the larger model of the Asym, and it has served me very well. Up in the Bigelow Col, while my companions squeezed onto the platform, I easily tied off to two trees next to the platform and had a very pleasant night. At (the former) Spruce Brook Shelter, I curled up inside with the (at the time) latest Harry Potter while it poured all night. I stayed warm and dry using the matching siltarp, pulled low, plus good tension on the hammock side tie-offs to keep it from swaying out from under the tarp. My gear stayed over in the shelter, but would have been fine directly under the hammock.

Getting in and out is easy once you're used to it. You basically stand up under the hammock, poking your body through the velcro opening, then sit. Draw your legs up and in, and the opening will close itself up. The tough part for me was maneuvering once inside, as when I first sat, sleeping bag (and anything else) slid down and was now stuck under me. You're so much smaller than me, though, that shouldn't be an issue for you. And once you're "in position" the thing is incredibly comfortable. You can tie the tarp low if you expect rain or wind, or leave it higher up (or off) and get a view right out from your cocoon.

One limitation is the amount of gear you can bring inside with you. Anything in the main space is going to slide down and end up under your body as you sleep. The little mesh pocket that hangs from the "roof" line is good for glasses & headlamp but not much more. Also, you're limited in what sleeping positions you can use, due to the shape and slight sag to the hammock. If you lie on your back in the "right" position, and have tied off at the right heights to the trees, the hammock will go almost rigid and close to level. Practice to learn just how much difference between the height of the tie-off of the foot and the head.

The most important limitation is as Ryan noted - it does not work with sheep. You have to have trees available, and at approximately the right distance apart. It's a gamble at campsites with platforms, and at campgrounds. Backpacking it's wonderful, though. No worries about setting up with a root or rock poking into your back. Watch where you put the stabilizer lines, though: if someone walks into them while you're inside, you're going for a ride.

ps - don't tie it off incorrectly, it hurts like hell to get inside and have it fall down.

I left the ground for a Hennessy 8 years ago, and will never go back. It has given me the flexibility to set up my very comfortable bed pretty much anywhere I please, on steep slopes, in swamps, over rocks or thick brush, you name it. Finding suitably spaced trees has never been a problem. Of course I tend to camp in primitive areas so a hammock is ideal for this. I've had more trouble finding suitable trees in well used campsites than anyplace else (trying to avoid expanding the occupied perimeter) - luckily I don't much care for those places anyway. There have been times when I used to scan the brushy shoreline of wilderness ponds for an hour or more looking for even a tiny flat open spot for a solo tent. Now I can find a hammock site within a couple minutes of anywhere I happen to land.

I am a side sleeper and have no problem comfortably sleeping on either side in my hammock. Interestingly, I never sleep on my back in a bed, but often find myself very comfortable sleeping on my back in a hammock.

hmm, the sheep thing does concern me.. but i know a few sturdy mountain goats.

sweet. this all sounds good! thanks for the input.

Gee, this is perfect timing. I am planning on picking up a Hennessey soon also (Deluxe since me be a big ol' lad ye know ;) ). I know everyone gushed about them, but it is always nice to have decisions justified even before the purchase. :D Since I sleep HORRIBLY when camping (I have yet to get a real honest good nights sleep outdoors) I am hoping that going for the ultimate in comfort will help fix that problem.

Brian

For those on a budget (like me) This Hammock is extremely comfortable and if rain is forecast I use an inexpensive plastic tarp($8) and I'm good to go. Very light and inexpensive! I used to use a cheaper string hammock, but upgraded to this "luxury model".