Hennessy Hammocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I worked for a distributor trying to get their tentacles into the outdoor market, they picked up the Grand Trunk line for a short time and I got myself one of the Skeeter Beeter Hammocks super cheap. As it is, they're only 8 bucks more than the one without mosquito netting on Campmor, and I use it with a silnylon tarp that's big enough for two other guys to sleep on the ground below if necessary (not that I'd WANT to sleep directly below MY derriere...) I love my hammock, but one major difference between this one and the Hennessy hammocks is that in the Hennessy models, it's easier to roll onto your side or stomach because of the asymmetrical construction. It's possible in the Skeeter Beeter, but not its intended purpose.

I know everyone gushed about them, but it is always nice to have decisions justified even before the purchase. :D
Haha.. yeah. Exactly. And it has!

I think I may drop the big bucks on this one and get the Hennessy.. I'm a side sleeper and it sounds like their design would be more comfortable.

Now all I need to do is rig up for big-wall climbing. ;)

I think I may drop the big bucks on this one and get the Hennessy.. I'm a side sleeper and it sounds like their design would be more comfortable.

Nah...a hammock is much too simple a solution for big walls. Why would you want to miss out on the opportunity to spend the time/effort/energy to set up and stabilize a Portalege 1,500' up? (in the dark...)

;)

I love my hammock, but one major difference between this one and the Hennessy hammocks is that in the Hennessy models, it's easier to roll onto your side or stomach because of the asymmetrical construction.
The asymmetry is not necessary for you to sleep on your side.

Think of body of the hammock as a canoe shaped piece of fabric (ie the length on the longitudinal centerline is longer than the length along the sides). This canoe shape is why you aren't likely to fall out. (Hammocks with spreader bars are less stable and more likely to dump you on the ground.)

The body of my Speer hammock is made from an ~8ft by ~4.5ft rectangle* of fabric (the sides are shortened by pulling more of them into the knots that secure the ends). It is the width of this fabric that enables one to sleep on the diagonal which allows one to sleep with ones backbone reasonably straight and turn on one's side or front.

The asymmetry comes about by deciding that you will sleep with your head at only one end and on only one diagonal and thus can remove some fabric to save weight. (The Speer design is symmetric which allows you to sleep with your head at either end and/or on either diagonal.)

* I believe the original Mayan hammocks are even wider--if it is wide enough, you can even sleep at right angles to the centerline.

Doug

To use a camping hammock on a big wall, you will need two points of support at the same height and the proper distance apart which, as you can imagine, isn't always easy to obtain.

Single-point hammocks were used for a while but were very uncomfortable.

Thus the porta-ledge... (single point of support and a flat floor)

Doug

Hey Doug,

Judging from a quick search and inquire mission online, it looks like the Speer hammocks are a little more generous in the fabric than the Grand Trunk (Travel Hammock) Skeeter Beeter that I have, which would make laying across the axis a little easier. (I also like the Pea Pods!)

I have slept on my stomach with my head to one side and my feet to the other, but the default of the hammock seems to be to slide me to the middle especially if I'm in a sleeping bag with no pad underneath. Thus, I end up with the back of my head pointed toward my heels for a little while which is great for yoga, but not for sleeping. Either way, the only major drawback to sleeping on my back in the middle is that I snore like a wookie gargling roofing tar and my throat hurts for a little while in the morning; on my stomach, hardly a sound.

Hey Doug,

Judging from a quick search and inquire mission online, it looks like the Speer hammocks are a little more generous in the fabric than the Grand Trunk (Travel Hammock) Skeeter Beeter that I have, which would make laying across the axis a little easier. (I also like the Pea Pods!)
Interesting. Sounds like the designers have different opinions... As noted earlier, I believe some Mayan hammocks are wide enough (ie 5-6 ft) to sleep at right angles to the axis.

I have slept on my stomach with my head to one side and my feet to the other, but the default of the hammock seems to be to slide me to the middle especially if I'm in a sleeping bag with no pad underneath. Thus, I end up with the back of my head pointed toward my heels for a little while which is great for yoga, but not for sleeping. Either way, the only major drawback to sleeping on my back in the middle is that I snore like a wookie gargling roofing tar and my throat hurts for a little while in the morning; on my stomach, hardly a sound.
I sleep on my back or side in my hammock. For some strange reason, I have this need to keep my face clear enough of the hammock body to be able to breath... :) Probably wouldn't be a problem in a net hammock--but then I'd need full wrap-around bug netting to keep the bugs at bay.

BTW, here is a picture of DebW's (modified Speer) hammock in winter: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/895/cat/500/ppuser/37/sl/d The sleeping bag fits around the hammock so you do not need a pad. (The Speer bug netting is removable so it doesn't interfere with this arrangement.)

Doug