Vanderwhacker trail access

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Anyone been on the road from 28N to the trailhead? Did it a few years ago & no problem with the Forester but this year the family is going & we will be in a mini-van.

Passable with care? Or do we have a road walk?

Thanks

Last summer I did it with an Acura MDX. I recall it being OK, but CARE is the operative word. Some washout spots where you straddled:eek: the higher road points.

Anyone been on the road from 28N to the trailhead? Did it a few years ago & no problem with the Forester but this year the family is going & we will be in a mini-van.

Passable with care? Or do we have a road walk?

Thanks

We did it in our Subaru last year with a friend who had a car with less clearance (can't remember what car he had). Both of us made it with no trouble. I'm not sure about the mini-van's clearance, but my sense of the road is that it is doable as long as you go VERY slowly, as we did, and resign yourself to devoting lots of time to drive in. There is a short rise at the end to the lot which you may not want to attempt, and you could park along the side.

There is a short rise at the end to the lot which you may not want to attempt, and you could park along the side.
I banged my Ford Focus for the first time getting into the lot, there was only one good spot outside and it was taken :-(

Thanks, If I have to drop off the family & then go back a little bit to park, I could do that.

It's been three years since I've been, trying to think how far the flat area near the stream is from the trailhead. (I just recall cooling off post hike there) The road is not on google maps.

I was there last weekend in a CRV which had no problems. I spoke with the driver of a Prius who went very slowly and said they didn't bottom out. There was also an Acura and a Minivan at the trailheard. Take your time and you'll be OK.

I believe the stream is about 1/2 way up the road, but didn't actually measure.

vander whacker

I was there recently in a Toyota Corolla. Had to use care on the last twenty feet. You could park just before the trailhead. Just drive slow.