Northville-Lake Placid Trail 10/4-8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazdarovye

Reaction score
Avatar: Castle Peak, CA; Home: Bay Area, Californi
I'm planning to hike the Northville - Tirrell Pond portion of the NLP trail the week of October 4th.

I'd like to do this section in four days, and hike out to Blue Mountain Lake and the Adirondack Museum via the Blue Mountain trail at the north end of Tirrell Pond. (I did the other section, Averyville Rd. - Tirrell Pond, in three days last fall and did the same hike out.)

I'm somewhat flexible on days; I travel light and fast, but could slow down for good company :). Though I'm from out of state, I'll have my car and could do a shuttle.

Anyone interested in joining up?

- Steve

sli74 said:
Paige had some really awesome pictures of our JMT trip also, you should take a peek at those if you haven't already seen them.

Yeah - she took some fantastic pictures - looks like it was a beautiful trip!

I was up in the same area around then, too - we hiked the High Sierra Trail to where it meets the John Muir Trail, then headed over Forester pass to Bubbs Creek and out that way. Pictures are here:

Pics of High Sierra/John Muir Trail Trek

- Steve

Last edited:
Steve since you have been there as of this writting perhaps you can answer a question. The map included with the 2004 edition of ADK's Central Region guide indicates the trail from Terill Pond to Blue Mt Lake is closed to the public. The trail is not included in the guide either. I have not been there though thinking of using that trail next spring. Thanks.

As of the end of August - my last thru-hike - all trails to and from Tirrell Pond were open. I can't imagine this would have changed.

I think you may be referring to the trail from Blue Mountain to Stephens Pond.

This trail is also open. However, there is a closure from McCanes old property - now Macalusco's property - "up" to Stephens Pond. But the trail from Blue Mt "down" to Stephens is still open.

The closed section of trail is still open to thru-hikers.

More info here: NP Trail Closure

and here: Schenectady ADK

Steve - I hope your hike went well!

Last edited:
It's actually marked on the map in that Central guide. The Terill to Blue Mt Lake. I believe it is a mistake there is no mention in the guide at all. Look at the map if you have an opportunity to see that guide.

No kidding! Thats one heck of an error. Do they even mention the 'real' trail closure?

I didn't even realize the new Central guide was out. I just bought a new bike and plan on riding it down to the Harvard EMS - I'll have to pick it up.

Thanks for the extra heads up on the Tirrell-BML trail, everyone.

Work issues caused me to postpone my hike to next week, and I'm probably just going to go from Piseco to Tirrell Pond, Wed. - Sat., hiking out Sunday to Blue Mountain Lake (that is, if possible!)

I'll try to get more information on the trail closure before I finalize plans. Last year (Oct. 2003) the trail was still there and in good shape, with no indication that it was closed.

- Steve

I am beginning to think it is just an error on the map. This guide has included a symbol drawn on the map that indicates trail closed to public. I saw that and questioned if that is true as there is no notice about it in the book.

Drat - The Harvard EMS didnt have the Central guide....

But it is definitely an error, as this trail was open and in fine condition in late August of this year.

They must have meant to mark the McCanes to Stephens trail as closed to public and just goofed.