Newfoundland

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see...Tablelands, Tuckamore, Ten-Mile Island...sounds like a bushwhack of the Long Range Mountains in Gros Morne, Newfoundland...

Newfoundland & Labrador and the Canadian Maritime are all just awesome! Earlier this year I visited the interior and coastal regions of New Brunswick for the first time. Next year I'm hoping to get up into the area you visited.

Thanks for posting your trip!

Alltogether we did 4 different hikes. Those are wild sheep you see in one of the pictures. They are the descendants of a sheep herd that people once let graze there.

The first picture is of Tablelands which entailed a 2000 foot vertical easy scramble onto an area of roughly 25 square miles of flat uplifted Earth's mantle composed of Perodotite, an iron rich rock. I traversed 5 miles of it and crossed something called the Moho or the Mohorovičić discontinuity, the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle. In this case the crust was oceanic crust which is a rare thing to find up at 2000 feet elevation. The demarcation was abrupt and obvious.

The best hike was a 4 day traverse of a small part of the Long Range that began with a 10 mile boat ride. There is a herd path the whole way but on one day we mis-read things and followed a moose trail way off course, thinking it would make a turn back on course and when it simply ended we spent 5-6 hours off trail going up and down. It was my favorite hiking day but Sylvie thought 12 hours was a bit too much.

The black flies were pretty intense and Sylvie wore a bug shirt and hood most of the way. I alternated between a head net and a kerchief plus occasional applications of DEET. It made me think of my favorite book of the bible: Deeteronomy.