Cold weather sleeping bag question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Back to the same question, down or synthetic? I use a 0F synthetic and not happy with it. It takes up almost my whole pack. Just wanted some input,, thx .. any opinions about Northface, only asking because my wife is vf corp employee and i have been buying gear from them at 1/2 price and wondered if i should spend more from other companies for better product. thx

Stuff

If you have chosen synthetic for it's added safety in potentially wet situations, you are not alone. I like my TNF delta synthetic bags (I have three: +35F, +20F, and -20F).

There is no reason a synthetic 0F (snowshoe?) bag should be filling your pack. Use a compression sack and you will get its packed volume under control. And do not judge the actual volume of a TNF bag by the size of the stuff sack that it comes with. Stuff it, you'll see.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Al,

I'm using the nf goliath o F bag... It came with a compression sack but it really does take up at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the pack.. pack is nf minuteman.. maybe i need a better compression sack.. i brought it to the store and they squashed the hell out of it and it was hard to get out of the pack, the other way was not compressing it and just spread it out inside the pack,, either way it was a pain... i bought my son the -20 for scouts and maybe i should have bought that.. the goliath's girth is 66in and i like that, i felt tight in the -20 and -40 but now i think i should have bought that..

i got a real nice discount on a mtn hardware bag last spring, the big bang, -15 bag, down, waterproof/breathable shell. it compresses pretty small, easily fits in sleeping bag compartment of pack, with the sack it came with. looking forward to using it this winter, seems like a great bag.

Tramper Al, this is off topic but how old is your baby. I have a 9 week old. Have you taken your baby hiking yet? I have been doing short ones with mine. I will start doing longer ones once she fits in the Kelty pack. Congrates

Coldfeet -- I have two TNF synthetic bags - the Cat Walk & the Snowshoe. I've been very pleased with both -- I tend to be a cold sleeper and they are warm enough to within about 10 degrees of their rating. That's a heck of a lot better than prior bags I've used.

Maybe you have a bag with some extra loft? I don't use a stuff sack for my sleeping bag -- I just shove it in the bottom of my pack... that way it can fill up the extra space and my gear kind of packs it down. Even the snowshoe fits in a Gregory Reality with all my extra winter hiking gear that way. But I'm not familiar with your pack, so maybe the Reality is a bit bigger.

- Ivy

I prefer down. That's not to say synthetic is bad, it us just bulkier, and heavier. I would go for it if you can get a north face bag for half price. If you try it, and don't like it, you can always ebay it and make all your money back.

-percious

Volume

coldfeet said:
Al,
I'm using the nf goliath o F bag... It came with a compression sack but it really does take up at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the pack..
Ah, I see. I have only used the 'aspenglow'(?) series fo TNF bags, which are I think a bit skinnier and thus pack a little better.
Someone I winter hike with once in a while actually uses the -40F synthetic, the Dark Star, so maybe she will have some stuffing tips for you.

I use a 65L pack (smaller than most I think), and when I take my -20F bag, my RidgeRest is forced to the outside, with the snowshoes and crampons. So, that works.

Last edited:
thx

I think I'll go for the down -40 nf bag.. just wish it was 66 inch girth and not 64 inch... I was told they cut them tight to keep warm, i'm just a very light sleeper who wiggles all night. I figure i should buy now, you never know when the employee discount ends... hope i can make that winter trip that's being planned, i went to the bbq in August and everyone was so nice to me and my son....ps.. taking scout class tonight for cold weather backpacking and regular backpacking... 6 classes over the next 6-7 months.. required outings during winter probably in catskills during feb vacation.. can't wait.. got the bug... i gotta teach now or i'm in trouble!

I have backpacked in past winters with my TNF Darkstar and since my winter pack for overnighters is a Kelty RedCloud 6000, I can fit near everything into it. I compress the Darkstar which is a -40 degree bag and weighs 5 pounds and it takes up a little under a 1/4 of my pack, which isn't bad for a -40 degree synthetic. I have only onwed synthetics in the past, 3 TNF bags, a Cat's Meow, a Snowshoe and a Darkstar and the Cat's Meow and the Snowshoe both work pretty well but I haven't been pleased with my Darkstar, it didn't work below -10 degrees.

Having said all that about my synthetics I must say that I bought a Western Mountaineering Highlite, a down bad rated to 40 degrees above 0 and I used it on the Long Trail and I am a WM convert. It is one sweet bag and kept me warm actually toasty warm at the tent platforms outside Cooper Lodge which is almost at 4000 feet without a tent and without extra clothing. I LOVE that bag and it squishes down to the size of a football. I am going to sell 3 of my 4 other sleeping bags and invest in 2 more WM bags. I am going to keep my TNF Snowshoe because I really love that bag.

I say go with down unless you have something against down. I used to be worried about the down and wetness thing but after numerous torrential down pours on the LT followed by cool nights, I am convinced that careful packing can avoid wet sleeping bags. Anyway, totally a personal choice, it has taken me years of backpacking before I switched and I am a down bag convert now.

sli74

Hey Seema, I think the Highlite is somewhat similar to my WM Iroqouis which is a +38° down bag. I love it too, it is comfy for me about down to freezing and I use a coolmax liner to make it a full 3-season bag. I'm not sure but WM doesn't make the Iroquois anymore but it in their line of lite bags so perhaps the Highlite is the replacement.

Anyway, I'd love to get a WM down winter bag when I do more winter camping but the prices are just too much. Try to wait for next spring to find closeouts...

I have one Synthetic Marmot Wizard +20deg and although it is a nice bag, I think I'm a down convert myself and will only buy another down bag, especially with the next waterresistant fabrics.

Jay

i got an EMS -5 down bag a couple years ago. i think the weight is 4-5lbs real light weight for the warmth. it compresses real well and fits into the bottom compart with ease..

the outer fabric is not water proof but i have not been in a situation where water/moisture has been an issue.

the loft has held up for the past 4-5 years and when compressed it usually comes back quickly.

at around the same time my buddy bought a systhetic bag that was rated for 0 degrees and weighed 4-5lbs.. his lost it's loft within two years actually seem to gain weight through use. he has since bought a down bag...

you can't really go wrong with down, if you worried about moisture and wetness you can simply purchase a gore-tex bivy liner and your issue will be no more....

if my bag does get wet, usualy because of extended camping use, i just simply open the bag up and hang it in the lean-to or tree to air dry...never had an issue..

good luck with finding a bag

really confused

Thx for everyone's help.. to many options... get an xtra down insert, silk liner, stay home, sleep in the car... get a hairy dog, wonder if i can rent a dog from ems? thx..

I dont think there is a rule that says you cant strap your bulky winter bag to the outside of your pack. It works for me, but I did invest in a very large rain cover for those in-between days.

Basically, I got tired of compressing my TNF Darkstar down to a rock-lump to get into the bag compartment of my 5500 cu in pack. Its probably not good for the bag anyway.

Opinions, please. And what do you do if you are skiing and balance is much more important?

Wish i could help but due to bad knees i'm not a skier. ps, what type of picture is that? looks underwater

Before down bags I just scrunched them down into ruin and then they would fit my pack...

.. I'll second the recommendation of a well made down bag, it is a long lasting piece of gear. If you choose wisely you can build a layered system: a light synthetic inner type bag, a roomy down bag and a bivy. If you're not going to be backpacking in the winter from point to point, the extra weight isn't too bad and you could build it to something like -10 or so.

Jay, the highlight is an ultralight version of the Iroquois, the shell is lighter, with a half zipper and somewhat tighter fit. It's an amazing bag...

And there's nothing wrong with putting the bag on the outside but I tend to view my sleeping bag as my final refuge. In the winter on the outside it's like asking for it to get wet.

Coldfeet: Get a down bag. They smash down smaller and loft right back up and they generally weigh less too. Compressing a synthetic eventually ruins it. Over time the longevity of down makes it a better buy. Most quality down bags these days also have a water-repelling fabric so condensation is not a big issue either. Only reasons to buy synthetic is entry price or cause yer really tough on gear.

As an avid winter climber, it has always been my opinion that the sleeping bag is your main accommodation for comfort for the long hour of darkness that winter brings. Saying that, weight and comfort becomes your main concern. A synthetic bag is normally more comfortable and covers all conditions, dry and wet. Unfortunately a synthetic bag will weigh more and takes up too much room in the pack. The synthetic bag will have a shorter life span. Every compression does permanent damage to the fibers that will shorten its life.

A good down bag will last many years longer, but also costs many dollars more. Some concerns with down are the susceptibility to wetness. This I have found to be untrue. I have used a nylon shell with 3 of my down bags (+20, +5 and –20f North Face Bags) with no appreciable wetness problems. This experience is over a 22 year career in tents and lean-tos. I suggest that you consider spending the extra bucks now, which will ensure a good investment over the years. Although I have several North Face bags I have discovered Feathered Friends products which I feel are superior for weight and compression. Beware, they cost even more. However, many companies offer great down products from which to choose, including Mountain Hardware, The North Face just name name a couple.

Hey Jay,

I think Warren is right about the Highlite being the "replacement" for the Iroquois . . .

I bought the TNF Darkstar because the price was right (well, more right than the WM bags) and I was in grad school at the time. Now with the new job starting in November I am already looking at winter bags in the hopes I can justify the purchase. I am thinking I will get the WM Antelope and then when it gets too cold for that, I can use my Highlite inside the Antelope and then put my emergency bivy over the bags and get another 10-20 degrees. And if I can sell my synthetic bags then I might even invest in one of the -20 degree WM Pumas but the thought of spending that much money on 1 piece of gear just freaks me out but hey you get what you pay for I guess . . .

I am a down convert but my synthetic bags did serve me well for many years so I am not "down" on synthetics (pun intended)

sli74