Goose Eye Via The Wright Trail, 8/1/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Zippy and I hiked Goose Eye Mountain, in Maine via the Wright Trail. The Wright Trail has sustained damage, hence the North Fork of the trail is closed. The campsite at the North Fork-South Fork junction is also closed until mid-August 2010. We hiked up the South Fork and and emerged onto open ledge at about 3150 ft. The trail follows the ridgeline over two minor peaks to the junction of the AT. The views are frequent and wonderful for the final 1.3 miles to the summit.

Pictures and GPS track on Wikiloc

This is #99 on the NEHH list for me. The remaining mountain is Mansfield. I will wait for a bluebird day in August or September.

Last edited:
One of the best peaks, and hikes, out there. Congrats on #99!!!

The Wright Trail has sustained damage, hence the North Fork of the trail is closed.

Nice one John! And, congratulations on #99!

So regarding the situation at the North-Fork/South-Fork junction, let me see if I understand. Due to the closure of the North Fork, it isn't right to go right on Wright. So for the time-being, Wright is only left?:confused::D

Last edited:

So regarding the situation at the North-Fork/South-Fork junction, let me see if I understand. Due to the closure of the North Fork, it isn't right to go right on Wright. So for the time-being, Wright is only left?:confused::D
Right, only the left is left if you want to be right on Wright. :rolleyes:

The reopening of the north fork of the trail was a major effort by the Outward Bound group that is/was based on the Sunday River road. I wouldnt be surprised if it will take awhile to reopen as this could be a maintenance intensive trail. Part of it runs through winter time avalanche paths.

That's right. Ahem. As Spencer Tracey said in "The Mountain" when he was climbing a chimney in the Alps with his brother, "Ya gotta start out with your left or you won't come out right."