Highpoint: Iowa. Hawkeye Point (1670 ft). July 22, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Copied from http://www.trishalexsage.com
Accompanying pictures can be found there.

Iowa! Land of clear skies and zero precipitation! Well, at least for the 24 hours we were there. Three weeks before we arrived in Sibley, a small town in Iowa's extreme northwest, a huge tornado (F4) ripped through the area, coming within two miles of the highpoint. Luckily, there were no human fatalities. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/?n=tor2010jun25

We arrived at the "peak" just before sunset.

The summit area houses a variety of interesting structures. The owners, past and present, have done a beautiful job creating a lovely, peaceful environment.

The girls and I spent about an hour admiring our surroundings before heading to the local Super 8. Here's the highpoint from a slight distance; Alex took the photo as we drove away.

Next stop: Minnesota.

Yes, cute little green keychains that said "Hawkeye Point." I use mine for my car keys. They must have run out. :(

Yes, cute little green keychains that said "Hawkeye Point." I use mine for my car keys. They must have run out. :(

Are you serious? I can't tell if you're pulling my leg. :p

The long-term owners died a few years ago. They bequeathed the highpoint and the immediate land around it to the state. The state is turning the area into a park -- construction is ongoing. Eventually there'll be a couple of restrooms and an info desk, something like that.

When you were there, did you meet the previous owners? Did one of them give you the keychain? (If you're not pulling my leg, that is).

Loved the report as usual. Did you know there actually is a ski slope in Iowa. I was in Boone Iowa about 12 years ago, (Birthplace of Mamie Eisenhower by the way) and came on a "hill" with a tow rope and a tractor that ran the rope. Boone Iowa also lays claim to the longest train trestle in the USA. For a state that can only be described as flat, flat, flat, I found that very interesting.

Did you know there actually is a ski slope in Iowa. For a state that can only be described as flat, flat, flat,

Have to stick up for Iowa as I was born there, it actually has a few ski areas, the largest being Sundown.

While Iowa appears to be flat, flat flat, if you get off the main highways, the terain can be very rolling with lots of minor ups and downs.

Stinkyfeet, please accept my apologies -- I thought you might be kidding me (in a very good-natured way).

Unfortunately, we didn't receive a keychain. :( However, we visited late in the day, just before sunset, so perhaps our timing had something to do with the lack of souvenier. Or maybe they just don't give them out anymore.

Regardless, it was an enjoyable visit. :)

No need to apologize! My keychain is just like Poison Ivy's, only it's green instead of blue. :)

Looking forward to reading about your adventures re: navigating the back roads to Mt. Arvon... :D