46-year-old hiker from Hinesburg dies on Hunger Mountain trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about this...
I hike group/solo about 50/50
Our friend and VFTTer Ray died on a hike two years ago - he had felt tired and wanted others to go ahead - they refused and stayed with Ray who soon collapsed. Nothing could have been done in my less than professional opinion to save Ray high up on a bushwhack. His two hiking companions were with him and did not leave him - they did CPR for a long time. Very sad day, very sad part of life. I can think of many times where I have been tired and turned around when I am alone - I think in a group situation I agree with everyone here - the smart thing to do is not leave anyone alone who is struggling. It could be sore legs and being winded - and it could be a heart attack. It is just a hike - it is not worth any goal to return down a mountain to a dead companion you could have stayed with.

When I was 25 I probably would have taken a friend at their word if they said they were tired and to go on without me. I'm almost 50 and I can't imagine going on without someone. I usually hike with my husband and we stay together. If I'm hiking with a friend we would generally have visual contact on a trail.

I grew up in the country running around in the woods following animal trails and eating berries and it's never been a place where I'm afraid, but as I get older I realize how fragile we all are. My biggest concern now is what to do if something happens to my husband who is twice my size. At what point do you make the decision to leave someone and get help?

My thought as a nurse is that his friends wouldn't have been able to help him if he had a MI, but they probably would have felt better in the long run if they were with him when he died.