Man Seriously Injured at Silver Cascade (Crawford Notch): 04-Aug-2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Just happened to be driving down the Crawford Notch yesterday and witnessed a portion of the emergency activity that was taking place at the scene.
Click HERE for a link to an article about this accident.

Is there a trail there? WMUR said the man was on a trail. Maybe a herd path? It's the second rescue story I've read recently of men falling there.

Is there a trail there? WMUR said the man was on a trail. Maybe a herd path? It's the second rescue story I've read recently of men falling there.

I don't believe it's an official trail, but a herd path for sightseers to the falls and for technical climbers headed up the cliffs

Silver Cascade is a small steep gully with a (usually roaring) stream coming down it located right beside Rte 302. I've heard of people ice climbing it in winter, but haven't heard of people climbing it in summer.

IIRC, climbing it in summer would be a scramble up a steep, narrow, wet, and rocky ravine. Given that it is right beside the road, I suspect that it attracts climbers both with and without experience...

Doug

I don't believe it's an official trail, but a herd path for sightseers to the falls and for technical climbers headed up the cliffs

I have been involved in one rescue there myself. And correct. Usually people with flip-flops, not in particularly good physical shape heading up the herd path with roots and wet rock. Not a surprise that there are some accidents there. Usually though it is lower leg injuries. Not only involved in the rescue but also the communications because no ones cell phone worked there, at the time. But the amateur radio I had at the time did. It helped facilitate the rescue.

And I agree. It sounds like the people on the scene did a great job with this person.

Keith

Last edited:
Many people climb a hundred or two hundred feet up to the right side of the falls for more intimate viewpoints & for photos of individual sections of falls. It's quite dangerous in many places.

Just based on observation over the years, it seems more and more people are walking up the side of the cascade rather than just viewing it from the road. I am not surprised that there was an injury, although I would have thought it more probable that someone would be injured in an auto-pedestrian collision. People often walk across the road without paying any attention to traffic.