Baxter State Park, 30 Jul - 2 Aug

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
On our first full day in the park we paddled across Kidney Pond to the short trail to Lily Pad Pond and then canoed around that before returning to Kidney Pond. That evening we took the short walk over to Grassy Pond which was lovely in pre-sunset light.

On our second full day I climbed the Owl (third attempt, got stormed out on two previous efforts) while my sister stayed in the valley visiting ponds. Finally had great weather for the Owl and very few other hikers on it. That's a shame (sort of) because the views to the Klondike and into Witherle Ravine are excellent!

Pictures are here. Apologies that it is facebook, I'm in a hurry to get out on my next little adventure.
-vegematic

What beautiful photos!

I've read that the lungwort lichen is an indicator of a healthy ecosystem, so that's heartening amid all this talk of invasive pests, drought, and tick-borne nasties.

Great shot of the mergansers too.

Epic Pics!

I had my first visit to Baxter this year and loved it. It sounds like you had the full Baxter experience. Thanks for sharing.

Simply awesome photos! It has been many years ago since I was at Baxter. Your photos now make me wonder why I've let so much time pass by without making a return trip!

Nancy,

The Owl is a great hike. Love the scrambles near the top and the very picturesque summit.

I went up the Hunt Trail in late July. My pics include a couple views of the Owl from the south.

Last edited: