Question about my First Aid Kit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker

Reaction score
Massassachusetts Avatar: It looks easy on t
I'm one of those guys you see on the trail with a pack stuffed with stuff I never ( or almost never) use. One of these items is a fully packed First Aid Kit. I carry the basics; Band-Aids of different sizes, gloves, an assortment of low level pain meds (chewable aspirin, Tylenol 3, and "Aleve" ( NSAID ). I also carry Antibiotic wipes and ointments.

My Question is...How often should I rotate these items out and replace with new?

I know we have some highly skilled EMT/ Paramedics on the board, so I know my query will be answered.

Thanks

See you on the trail....Walker

I believe most of that stuff should have an expiration date on it. Due to the facts that I hate throwing useful stuff away, and that a lot of expiration dates are not an indication of decreased/impaired efficacy of the product, I don't tend to replace expired stuff right away.

Sometimes I'll add a few fresh doses of, ie, benadryl, but then when I develop a need, I use up the older stuff first, figuring I can just take the newer stuff too if it doesn't work. Never had to do that, though.

For more years than I can remember my hiking first aid kit has included:

+ Bandaids of assorted sizes.

+ Gauze pads of assorted sizes, up to at least 4” x 4”.

+ Small roll of gauze bandage material.

+ Small roll of surgical bandage tape.

+ Small supply of moleskin for blisters.

+ Small vial of antseptic or tube of antibiotic ointment.

+ A few alcohol wipes.

+ Rolled elastic bandage (Ace bandage).

+ A few safety pins.

+ A few antihistamine tabs.

+ Ibuprofen 200 tabs.

+ Small supply of doc-prescribed painkiller.

+ Clean bandana handkerchief.

All this fits in a small stuff stack. Each and every item actually has been used over the years.

My general kit always includes a small two-bladed pocketknife (max blade = 3”), kept very sharp, which serves perfectly for any cutting jobs that go along with first aid procedures.

Periodically, as appropriate, replenish/replace worn or outdated items.

G.

To answer your original question....As an professional I clean out my kit and restock with new stuff when ever the expiration date gets close. These replaced items never hit the trash. They go home with me and get tossed into my home med kit for use when needed. The manufactures expiration dates are very conservative. If something is say years out of date I would chuck it in the dumpster but other wise it will get used by me.

Now working off this list of stuff

+ Bandaids of assorted sizes.

This is fine ...sort of:rolleyes: when was the last time you actually used a band aid?:confused:
Band aids are for mental health(great for little kids) and nothing more. They don't actually stay on especially when hiking and sweating.

Bands aids can be replaced with duct tape and a small piece of guaze pad or even most wounds can be sealed up and protected very well by Crazy or clear nail polish(or any color for that matter) Both crazy glue and Nail polish are chemically almost identical to Bio Glue....please dont give me any BS about Bio Glu having anitbiotics in it. No bacteria will grow in either product

+ Gauze pads of assorted sizes, up to at least 4” x 4”.

Perfect No problems here, can be cut and used for multiple size wound and as wipes also make a hand fire starter in a pinch.

+ Small roll of gauze bandage material.

see above answer

+ Small roll of surgical bandage tape.

ditch this you have duct tape;)

+ Small supply of moleskin for blisters.

Ditch this too. you have duct tape and clear nail polish/crazy glue painting a layer of nail polish over a hot spot BEFORE it becomes a blister will prevent it from getting any worse. Add to that a strip of duct tape and you have a 20 mile fix.:)

+ Small vial of antseptic or tube of antibiotic ointment.

Another feel good useless remedy. Get a small bottle of Iodine. again this has multiple uses. Mixed with water until the water takes on a reddish brownish tint it is a perfect solution for cleaning wounds. Also use as directed when dressing the wound. Also makes for a great emergency water purification in a pinch if you don't mind the taste:rolleyes:

+ A few alcohol wipes.

Great fire starter and glasses cleaner not much other use.

+ Rolled elastic bandage (Ace bandage).

Not a bad idea for wrapping a twisted ankle/knee

+ A few safety pins.

minimal weight take up zero room. I say why not, but also see duct tape.

+ A few antihistamine tabs.

Great idea. I would suggest you switch to the self dissolving strips(like the listerine breathe strips) They get into the system much quicker than a tablet.
plus no need to actually swallow. Which can be critical for a less than conscious patient suffering from anaphylactic reaction to bee sting , peanut . etc. Again another medicine that is not so tasty:eek:

+ Ibuprofen 200 tabs.

Vitamin I .......also put some in your car's glove box no need to rummage through your pack on the ride home:D

+ Small supply of doc-prescribed painkiller.

As long as you bring enough for every body:D

+ Clean bandana handkerchief.

Again nice multiple use item. plus in the event of emergency you must look good:D

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

-Tom

Last edited:
Get a small bottle of Iodine. again this has multiple uses. Mixed with water until the water takes on a reddish brownish tint it is a perfect solution for cleaning wounds. Also use as directed when dressing the wound. Also makes for a great emergency water purification in a pinch if you don't mind the taste:rolleyes:
You don't mention the form of iodine: The above is true for USP tincture of iodine, but not providone-iodine (eg Betadine).
* Tincture of iodine
- stings in wounds (contains alcohol)
- water purification at 4-8 ppm (~4-8 drops/liter H2O)
* Providone iodine
- doesn't hurt in wounds
- useless for water purification

FWIW, I routinely carry tincture for water treatment. (See "Medicine for Mountaineering".)

Doug

Last edited: