Seems More Like a Cliff than a Slide (Devil's Slide in Stark, NH): 06-Aug-2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Anyone who has been to Stark, NH could not help but notice the huge cliff that dominates the area of the village near the covered bridge. Below is a snapshot for those who might not have been there.

P1060560.JPG

As I indicated in the title, this spot is named "Devil's Slide". However, in no way does this spot remotely resemble a slide. It's a definite cliff! Probably there is a fascinating history behind this name. Perhaps some VFTT person can shed some light?:confused:

There is a very interesting book about Stark, NH written by Allen V. Koop. It's entitled: "Stark Decency: German Prisoners of War in a New England Village". Contained in this book is the following sentence which aptly describes the Devil's Slide.

"Above Stark's weather-beaten, white-painted covered bridge and little white church, the 750-foot dark granite cliff of Devil's Slide forms an imposing, even ominous backdrop for the quite town."

For quite some time, it's been in the back of my mind to hike to the top of this cliff. I knew that this would not be a long hike, and so I knew I'd choose a day when I didn't have long to hike. It's a very short 45 minute (or less) drive from my home in Bethlehem to Stark. And so, I also knew I could easily drive up there whenever circumstances were right. Well, today (06-Aug), things seem to all come together. I had a short time to hike and the weather looked promising.

Did I just say that the weather looked promising? Almost immediately upon my arrival in Stark, it started to rain!
It rained for a good 20 minutes!

Anyway, before continuing with this Trip Report, I'd like to interject that I always try to be sensitive to NOT posting a hike when I feel that there might be some potential for upsetting the "locals". If I'm bushwhacking to a trailless destination and I come across a herd path/bootleg trail, then in most cases I'll not post the hike for fear of getting someone in trouble, and/or revealing a favorite destination that is used primarily by the local community.

In this particular case, I did not come across anything that resembled a trail until I reached the top of Devil's Slide where there is a definite path that runs along the edge of the cliff. And so, if there is a herd path/bootleg trail leading to the top of Devil's Slide, then the secret is still safe! I don't know where it is, or from where it originates! I bushwhacked to the top using a route that only involved public land. I also parked on public land (as confirmed with a nearby landowner).

Okay, I frequently don't know if I'm the only person on earth who has NOT visited a particular spot. So, the photos below are for anyone who hasn't been to the top of Devil's Slide and who might be curious as to what can be seen from there.

As you might suspect, there's a very nice view of picturesque Stark village.

P1060562.JPG

Below is a zoomed shot of a portion of this quintessential New England village.

P1060565.JPG

And lastly, the snapshot below looks eastward across the cliff face of Devil's Slide.

P1060567.JPG

This trek is definitely something that won't fill your entire day. It's something to do in combination with something else, or when you happen to be nearby to Stark and have about 2 hours worth of time to fill in.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
FYI -- The long rambling building right beside the covered bridge (on the shore opposite the church) is the Stark Village Inn which is run by Nancy Spaulding. She is a big supporter of the Cohos Trail and is willing to accept mail drops for Cohos Trail hikers. She will also shuttle you back to the trail or do any number of shuttle options. Rates are very reasonable. I highly recommend the Inn.

http://www.whitemtridgerunners.com/gtb/news/starkinn.htm

FYI -- The long rambling building right beside the covered bridge (on the shore opposite the church) is the Stark Village Inn which is run by Nancy Spaulding. She is a big supporter of the Cohos Trail and is willing to accept mail drops for Cohos Trail hikers. She will also shuttle you back to the trail or do any number of shuttle options. Rates are very reasonable. I highly recommend the Inn.

http://www.whitemtridgerunners.com/gtb/news/starkinn.htm
Thanks for replying with some very useful information!
There are so many folks in the North Country who are simply amazing (and I mean that in the positive sense)!

And it looks like you got Mill Mt. front left (2517) North Peak middle (2804), backside of Rogers Ledge (2965) in back of North Peak, and Square Mt. left back (2735)..wonder if there are any ledges for views up there?? thanks again for hitting up north!! Lefty E

And it looks like you got Mill Mt. front left (2517) North Peak middle (2804), backside of Rogers Ledge (2965) in back of North Peak, and Square Mt. left back (2735)..wonder if there are any ledges for views up there?? thanks again for hitting up north!! Lefty E
Hey Lefty . . . thanks for the reply and for adding the "peak ID" info! Wasn't sure if you were serious about asking if there are views from Square Mtn? Regardless, below are a couple of snapshots taken from the top of Square Mtn a couple of summers ago.
%21SE_JerichoLake.JPG
%21PercyPeaks1.JPG
-----------------------------------------------------
That is a cool view...might be worth returning in autumn!
Jim, you are soooo right! I've already got it on my calendar to make a return visit to Devil's Slide during fall-foliage season!;)

So thats what the view looks like from up there! I've wondered each time I have driven past that place! Great report and photos as usual, John!

Thanks John for the pics from Square Mt., I have not been there before and would now like to go...looks like a good camping spot up there....Lefty E

So thats what the view looks like from up there! I've wondered each time I have driven past that place! Great report and photos as usual, John!
Chris . . . glad you liked the report.
As I indicated in that report, it's a short whack, and so it's something that you'd want to combine with another hike of some sort . . . like maybe Cape Horn in Groveton, or Bald Mountain (the one that's in the same general proximity) . . . or whatever.
Thanks John for the pics from Square Mt., I have not been there before and would now like to go...looks like a good camping spot up there....Lefty E
Lefty . . . yes . . . Square Mountain is a definitely worth whacking to, and also . . . yes . . . I think you'd find good camping up there.
John,
I did my homework and found this information as to the origin of the name Devil's Slide. Great photos of the town of Stark.
http://www.nh.searchroots.com/documents/coos-history/History_Stark_NH.txt
Donna: Hey . . . how can I thank you enough for taking the time to do some research on the derivation of the name "Devil's Slide".
Very interesting! Mega-thanks!

Ahh, yet another great trip from you John....

That is a part of NH I have yet to explore, for whatever reason. And as usual, you remind of why I need to get up there!

grouseking