NH State Parks in Decline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Reaction score
I spent the weekend camping a Moose Brook State Park and found it to be a good example of how the state parks are in decline. We were in the tenting sites area and the bathrooms have malfunctioned so we had to drive across the street to use the bathrooms available there. We were told maybe next year they will get fixed. The parking area for the day use swimming area is now a lawn, probably because the bathhouse is closed for who knows how long.

A state that once had an outstanding park system is now in the process of collapsing with state parks it can no longer afford to maintain. We’re told that we have no choice, that basic government functions — essential services that have been provided for generations — are no longer affordable. And it’s true that state and local governments, hit hard by the recession, are cash-strapped. But they wouldn’t be quite as cash-strapped if their politicians were willing to consider at least some tax increases and willing to support our state park system. :eek: State parks are good for tourism and local economies.

Too bad, but it's probably a trend. A private operator, like the Woodstock KOA, can immediately understand and appreciate the need for clean, working, comfortable facilities. A State operator, not so much. I'm sure at some level "they" understand better facilities = more tourism dollars, but if the money's not available they're stuck. Years ago State parks and campgrounds didn't charge anything, or almost nothing, and the facilities were great. As a "non-essential" service, most of these State facilities will probably be privatized or closed. I think the problem with raising taxes is the dilution that occurs between the tax being charged and the money that actually makes it to the facility. Probably 10 cents on the dollar.

I thought the state parks are entirely self-funded now? I.e., they get all revenue from fees and no help from the state and taxes. I agree it's not good for a tourism economy but I also heard that 2009 was an exceptionally poor year for tourism and that 2010 was doing much better. In fact it was just this morning on NHPR but I turned the radio on part-way through the story and didn't catch it all - but something like the average per-visitor-per-day spending went up from $73.xx to $76.xx. I can't find a reference on www.nhpr.org at this time, but they often repeat stories and maybe I'll catch it again.

Tim

I thought the state parks are entirely self-funded now?
Tim

The NH state parks are. This is just more mounting evidence that this does not work and the state has to use tax revenue to make up the shortfall. State parks are good for jobs, the economy and tourism. All the sites were taken at this campground this weekend.

I don't know, because I'm not in NH. But look very closely - are the parks REALLY self funded? Or is there a user fee, and you are being TOLD that the parks are self funded...but in reality the user fee is being siphoned off for other government spending. (This is the standard model when user fees are added to existing facilities that used to be general fund supported.) If you're interested, ask the Land Manager (whatever agency) to document user fee income vs. funds allocated to maintain the facilities, year over year. Can they SHOW you that the fees are REALLY "self funding" the parks?

Stayed at Moose Brook last summer. Same issues then, so I don't think the estimate for having it fixed next year is great either. Bath house was broken, service was awful (employee was texting while we asked ?'s) and BIG RV was put right next to us because of overflow. Nothing like the sound of a generator going for some peaceful "whitenoise".
There are many wonderful things about my state but the tax formula is not one of them in MHO. Don't want to get political.
I now use other camping options.
Live free or die!

Stayed at Moose Brook last summer. Same issues then, so I don't think the estimate for having it fixed next year is great either. Bath house was broken, service was awful (employee was texting while we asked ?'s) and BIG RV was put right next to us because of overflow. Nothing like the sound of a generator going for some peaceful "whitenoise".
There are many wonderful things about my state but the tax formula is not one of them in MHO. Don't want to get political.
I now use other camping options.
Live free or die![/QUOTE

Are we sure it's not "Live Free And Die?"
This is very sad indeed.

NHPR had a discussions awhile back with the head of the state parks and various politicians that support the system. They generally cover their operating costs to run the facilities with the fees they collect but any capital or major repair expenditures have to come through the legislature. Many of the "state parks" have no revenue base yet require some resources that have to be funded by the ones that do generate revenue. The legislature is famous for buying parcels of land to be added to the system with no revenue stream.

The new OHRV park in Berlin is an example, although OHRV's are not my interest, the state has added a 7000 acre facility which does require an active presence by state employees, yet put in place no way to fund it. The city of Berlin donated Jericho lake and the associated remnants of a campground for the state to take over, but there is no money to put in the needed facilities to operate as a campground. There is discussion of handing it off to a private vendor to operate, but generally the terms requested of the vendors makes it unattractive to a private developer. Molligewock campground and Umbagog Lake campground has suffered similiar issues, the state takes it over from a private owner with significant capital needs required to operate it as a going entity, but inevitably doesnt assign any capital.

Cannon Mountain is a special case, there is a constant drumbeat to privatize the mountain (like Sunapee), but there is also strong support to keep it in the state's hands and therefore capital is spent when neccessary to keep it afloat (or at least minimize its losses). I havent researched it but I have heard second hand that the average state employee at Cannon mountain has better pay and benefits that someone at a private resort.

I'm going to try to say this without crossing the (justifiable) line here on politics.

Growing up in Minnesota, I had no idea how good we had it. It wasn't until I started seeing state parks in other states that I first understood how little the legislatures there cared for the common good.

If it weren't for the WMNF, I'd have been gone from this Granite-Headed State long ago.

The area Rolling Rock and KRobi are talking about are the "P" campsites, which stands for picnic area. This was never meant to be a camping area and was pressed into service as campsites due to high demand, so this is a major reason that there is not a reasonable toilet facility present that can be left open 24/7. The bath house was repeatedly vandalised over the prior 2 years forcing closure, plus a new roof is needed.

The manager of the park always tries to move people with reservations for this area up into the campground, and has placed alerts on the camping reservation web pages that the picnic area does not have toilets.

I was just at Mt Cardigan State Park/Forest (one sign wisely just says Cardigan :) and it was in top shape.

There was a new outhouse plus the old one was still in operation, wonder how the state finds money to pay for these at a non-fee park yet lets high-paying campers suffer.

The trails are of course maintained by a volunteer group and the WMNF should die of envy, maybe NH Parks should try harder to recruit more such friends groups.

Right on

You hit the nail on the head Roy.
The State Parks should be pushing a lot more for groups such as the Cardigan highlanders at other parks. Kearsarge comes to mind real fast and needs a group like them. A lot can be said for more parks doing the same. Maybe a letter or two to the Head of Parks would help.

Barlow

I sent Gerry G an email on conditions that i observed last saturday and he scheduled a work day for tuesday.Anyone wanting to help can contact him at G, Gerry
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Also the Winslow needs help even though there is an adopter but not active.Craig and myself with a Highlander or two have been working on Fridays recently due to lack of maint.issues. Next day tomorrow.

The Rollins also has a missing adopter and needs work too.
Both trails need a dedicated small group that will give them TLC on a regular basis,as there is so much to do,just as you mentioned about the need in Parks.