Stupid Scree Wall on Mt. Bond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
There is a 3' high scree wall, reinforced by dead trees (!) that blocks off the entire southern section of the small alpine zone on Mt. Bond. Anyone that has ever hiked Mt. Bond knows there there was always a tiny little divider there already -- this new one is large, ugly and very confrontational. There are no signs there that indicate why the wall is there and frankly, I imagine that people are going to knock it down and this will be seen as another page in the ongoing battle with rangers in the Pemigewasset Region over these things.

First of all, I don't understand what the scree wall is trying to accomplish. Mt Bond has a tiny alpine zone ~1/10 of an acre, and in the area that is blocked off not much is growing there. Is this an attempt to "re-vegetate" the area? Why? It's an incredibly small area what "rare" plants and such could possibly benefit, realistically, in such a tiny space?

Second, Mt. Bond has one of the most underrated views in all the Whites -- in my opinion its view is better than Bondcliff and West Bond, especially in the southern - and now closed - part to a large extent. Why don't the rangers build little paths like they do on Mt. Marcy and such in the Adirondacks? I realize they're not perfect (but neither is the scree wall, there were people walking around in the area beyond the wall yesterday) but at least they'd give people some access to the Southern part of that alpine zone -- where the really awesome views are -- while allowing some regrowth in that area.

Third: a sign or some notice would help. They Forest Service (edit: Guyot Caretaker?) has gone to town with putting signs about the "Bridge" that they removed all over the freaking place -- why not let people know what the deal is on Mt. Bond. If there's some sort of bird nesting there (which I doubt) at least have the sense to let people know that there is a purpose in their design. Just putting a wall comes across as confrontational and insulting -- like the Forest Service has disdain for the hikers that go to Mt. Bond and are going put a barrier with no explanation to stop them. I find it insulting to say the least -- especially because we all pay federal taxes as well as the parking fees.

Fourth is my own personal opinion. I can understand "managing" the alpine areas like they do on Franconia Ridge and Mt. Eisenhower -- places where paths are effective; not 100% -- people do walk around on the sensitive flora but, in general, the plant life seems to be thriving up there. Mt. Bond is different, it's a tiny little nothing of an alpine zone surrounded by fairly healthy looking spruce. Why are they aggressively managing such a small area? For a few square feet of "Alpine Plants" -- seems like a waste of resources and it's going to push people a bit too far. If you want people to respect these areas, don't go overboard. What's next? Close all the summits that have alpine zones? It's ridiculous, people should be able to and are going to walk around in these alpine zones, at best create a balance between being there and managing it for the plants and other stuff. A huge, ugly scree wall is just going to prompt people to climb over it, tear it down, or walk on the plants on either side to access the area and then they're going to walk around and stomp on things. It is very poorly done, poorly constructed and poorly thought out.

Hey, I say step lightly -- I'm not a plant lover or anything but I like to see the thriving and unusual plant life in these areas, but I also want access to them -- especially areas that we've always had access too. I'm not advocating cutting trails to more "secret" alpine zones on mountains such as Mt. Bond, but why try feebly and foolishly to cut off an area that people have been accessing for a long time. It makes no sense. I didn't get a chance to talk to the rangers yesterday but I will next time I'm up there and I hope that other people do as well. Maybe if a more sensible solution is enacted people won't start start knocking the wall down because I think eventually it'll be a lose-lose situation for the alpine zone, the rangers, and ultimately hikers. I'm prepared to fight the good fight but it seems like things are getting ugly in the Pemi...

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
My son and I went thru there on Saturday. I have to agree, this is stupid. It has to be the most crude attempt of it's kind I've ever seen.

The scree wall was built (or was being built) by the Guyot caretaker. He was in the process on 7/4/10 when I went through with Bob and Geri Hayes. His goal was to keep people off the fragile and expanding part of the summit, and to turn them towards Bondcliff. At the time, it was just a 10' long, 2' high rock/scree wall. While we were there, someone came up from West Bond direction and walked right over the wall, looking to go to Bondcliff.

I'm not sure who has authority or what authorization the caretaker has/had to build that. I read on Facebook this weekend that he has moved the cairns on Bondcliff to keep traffic off some other fragile areas.

If there is a case for protecting the resources, maybe a sign would be a much better alternative - and far less offensive even in Wilderness.

Tim

Any pictures of this? Shouldn't the building of this have the same logic applied to it as the cairns on Owl's head that the rangers take down?

The scree wall was built (or was being built) by the Guyot caretaker. He was in the process on 7/4/10 when I went through with Bob and Geri Hayes. His goal was to keep people off the fragile and expanding part of the summit, and to turn them towards Bondcliff. At the time, it was just a 10' long, 2' high rock/scree wall. While we were there, someone came up from West Bond direction and walked right over the wall, looking to go to Bondcliff.

I'm not sure who has authority or what authorization the caretaker has/had to build that. I read on Facebook this weekend that he has moved the cairns on Bondcliff to keep traffic off some other fragile areas.

If there is a case for protecting the resources, maybe a sign would be a much better alternative - and far less offensive even in Wilderness.

Tim
Hey, thanks for that info.

I think a path and a small sign would be 100% more effective. Even Giggy would respect it. :p

If it is the Guyot caretaker, certainly the forest service has noticed the wall and would do something about it.

-Dr. Wu

Having been around a while, I’ve seen before and after in respect to what the summit vegetation preservation-restoration effort has accomplished in many locations. I am pleased by the result. Yeah, some of the “guidance” structures, etc., seem a little too-too and even intrusive at times. But I would guess there probably are many things far more worthwhile criticizing and griping about that overdone scree walls serving as a reminders to be responsible hikers and walk on the rocks.

I agree with Tim that a little discrete and appropriate signage explaining what is going on with these summits would be useful, and not especially out of place. As a supplement to, more than a replacement for other guidance structures, though.

G.

Image from Gary Tompkin's Facebook album

39774_1522403776745_1134115597_1507279_5052163_n.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
I wonder what a lightning strike would do to that brush pile.

Looking at the photo I have to agree that is one ugly piece of business. The wall isn't too offensive, to my eye. But the brush gives the scene a trash heap look, which isn't good and seems counterproductive.

G.

The brush is clearly there to say "this isn't a wind break, and please do not step over it." My first question to the caretaker was "are you building a windbreak or shelter?"

Remember that we were sitting there when someone came up and walked right over the wall...

Tim

I have an ugly mess like that in my backyard that I was going to clean up next weekend, now instead I'll just tell my wife I am leaving it there as a deterrent......

The brush is clearly there to say "this isn't a wind break, and please do not step over it." My first question to the caretaker was "are you building a windbreak or shelter?"

Remember that we were sitting there when someone came up and walked right over the wall...

Tim

There always will be goofuses who haven't yet got the message about alpine environment and its fragility -- scree wall violators. I think signage would help. The brush is ugly and careless looking, which invites abuse.

G.

Stone walls can be a thing of beauty when artfully created. Hopefully the harshness of winter will help. Or the next caretaker with too much time on his hands.

There always will be goofuses who haven't yet got the message about alpine environment and its fragility -- scree wall violators. I think signage would help. The brush is ugly and careless looking, which invites abuse..
It could certainly be managed better. Instead of the scree wall (forget about the ugly brush) a little path could lead to some view points. That would probably keep 99% of the people off the alpine vegetation (of which there is nearly none right now).

-Dr. Wu

Wu mentioned the Adirondacks in the first post. I am pretty pleased with the way that's handled over here in the Adirondacks. We typically have small stone designated paths and little string barriers to indicate areas to stay of. Importantly, we have signage at the trail head, and signage at the summits "Please keep off revegetation area" to explain these things to those who may not be aware of them (maybe half the visitors to someplace like Marcy have never heard of the alpine vegetation situation). Best of all, we've funded Summit Stewards who are up there every day in the high season. One of their main jobs is to politely explain the vegetation to visitors.

I haven't been to Bond, but I agree that building a big ugly wall, without a word of communication, is basically the same as saying "hikers are stupid and not worth talking to." Shame.

TCD

Wu mentioned the Adirondacks in the first post. I am pretty pleased with the way that's handled over here in the Adirondacks. We typically have small stone designated paths and little string barriers to indicate areas to stay of. Importantly, we have signage at the trail head, and signage at the summits "Please keep off revegetation area" to explain these things to those who may not be aware of them (maybe half the visitors to someplace like Marcy have never heard of the alpine vegetation situation). Best of all, we've funded Summit Stewards who are up there every day in the high season. One of their main jobs is to politely explain the vegetation to visitors.

I haven't been to Bond, but I agree that building a big ugly wall, without a word of communication, is basically the same as saying "hikers are stupid and not worth talking to." Shame.
I'd skip the summit steward for Mt. Bond -- such a tiny area. But a few paths and a little sign is a lot more diplomatic and effective. It'll give the illusion that the Forest Service (even though it seems like the Guyot caretaker (AMC) made the wall the Forest Service certainly is aware of it) is working with hikers and not against them which will probably go a long way. This is a small issue but it's part of a larger picture (in my opinion) of forest service vs. hikers and worth looking into.

-Dr. Wu

Signs don't seem to work! I think the rock wall is a good idea but loose the sticks! I saw people lounging all over the alpine vegetation on Eisenhower this weekend and there is a sign just before the alpine zone asking people not to do this! I think a caretaker with a taser gun might be a bit better altogether ;) You step off the trail and bam you get tasered!

It certainly looks intrusive. Any work of this kind *should* have been planned and approved by the USFS.