Katahdin and Sue's NE67 Finish - Our Day #3 at Baxter Bash 2010, 8/6/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
August 6, 2010: Mount Katahdin – Pamola, The Chimney, Knife Edge, South Peak, Baxter Peak, and Hamlin Peak

Trails: Chimney Pond Trail, Dudley Trail, Knife Edge Trail, Saddle Trail, Northwest Basin Trail, Hamlin Peak Cutoff, Hamlin Ridge Trail, North Basin Trail

Summits: Baxter Peak, Hamlin Peak

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Wendy, Mike, and me

This was the big day of the week. We planned a loop hike that went to Chimney Pond, ascended Dudley Trail to Pamola, crossed Knife Edge to South Peak, continued to Baxter Peak, then Hamlin Peak, and finally descend back to the Chimney Pond area for our exit hike the same way we hiked in. This was not only a big day because of a big hike. More importantly it was a big day because it was Sue’s completion of the New England Four Thousand Footers (NE67). What a day we had!

As planned we made our way to the trailhead with Wendy and Mike for an 8:00am start from Roaring Brook Campground. We had great hiking conditions with generally clear sky, cool temperature, and little wind. The trail for our initial climb was Chimney Pond Trail. This trail was a straight shot to Dudley Trail for our ascent of Katahdin and Hamlin Ridge Trail for our descent from Katahdin on our exit hike. The Chimney Pond Trail is a busy place. It seems this must be one of the most popular approaches to Katahdin. There were a number of groups we leapfrogged with and others that simply went flying past never to be seen again. In what seemed like a very short period of time we covered the 3.3 miles to Chimney Pond, the Ranger Station, and the trailhead for Dudley Trail.

At Chimney Pond I filtered some water to make a quart of Gatorade and admired the sight of what was waiting. Chimney Pond is surrounded on three sides by Katahdin. On the left is Pamola. Continuing around the ridge in a clockwise direction we could see The Chimney, South Peak, Baxter Peak, and finally Hamlin Peak, which is also Sue’s NE67 finishing peak. It was also quite a surprise for Mike to bump into some of his students and their mother at Chimney Pond enjoying the day – small world!

After a short break we were heading for Pamola via Dudley Trail. I expected a difficult climb since there is really only one good arm to help in climbing – my right arm is only helpful for balance. As we worked our way along Dudley Trail the conditions became more difficult. The higher we climbed, the more difficult things became – but there were never any real problems. We moved slowly and where necessary I stopped to think about my approach to a difficult section. Eventually, we broke above the trees. The climbing was still difficult but there were incredible views to enjoy, which can always make things more enjoyable. Roughly half way between the treeline and Pamola we stopped for a quick refreshment. Soon we were back into the climb anxious to reach Pamola. A few minutes after noon we reached Pamola, admired the incredible views, gazed into The Chimney, and started to feel the excitement of Knife Edge.

We’re having fun now!

First things first – we needed to get past The Chimney. The first half of the exercise, our descent from Pamola was quick and straight-forward. With the amount of traffic coming from the opposite direction we lost quite a bit of time waiting to take our turn through the climb to Knife Edge. While we waited we also watched. We wanted to see how others were approaching the rock wall and get some ideas on what to do, and not do on our ascent. Finally it was our turn and we were able to sail through the test with no trouble at all. We re-grouped at the top of The Chimney before continuing across Knife Edge.

There were others from the Baxter Bash group that had planned on hiking the area but via a different approach. We had no way of knowing if they had already passed through or were perhaps still on their climb. Back together again after The Chimney, we all set off across Knife Edge heading for South Peak. What an interesting section. Crossing this narrow one-mile long spine of rocks with a significant drop on both sides for much of the distance makes for a memorable experience. I think we all enjoyed the crossing – I know I did, and I’m sure Sue did too. I was able to take lots of pictures along the way and hoped some of them came out good enough to post. A little over an hour after we left The Chimney we were standing on South Peak looking back across Knife Edge. Our next objective was Baxter Peak – the summit of Mount Katahdin. The walk from South Peak to Baxter Peak is a relatively short one but over a very rough section of trail. Essentially, we were rock-hopping all the way. We reached Baxter Peak to find the others already there and waiting. They arrived roughly fifteen minutes before us. We all got together for some group pictures, briefly visited, and were soon on our way as a large group headed for Hamlin Peak.

The exit from Baxter Peak is very mild compared to everything we had been through since Chimney Pond. Sue was in the lead and flying. I was happy to try and stay with her but eventually we all became fairly spread out. Before reaching the Saddle – Northwest Basin trails junction we stopped to re-group. Russ, Steve, and MichaelJ were up ahead and we eventually re-grouped with them at the trails junction. There we again stopped for a quick break. After the break all of the others decided to head out via Saddle Trail. We said our goodbye and all set off in different directions.

Sue and I continued on to Hamlin Peak and her finish of the NE67. Northwest Basin Trail led to Hamlin Peak Cutoff, which finally led to the summit of Hamlin Peak and the Hamlin Ridge Trail. We quietly hiked along toward Hamlin Peak. I was wondering to myself how Sue must feel with such an accomplishment. I was also enjoying a great feeling for being with her on the final peak of this quest. This was also the last Four Thousand Footer Peak in New England that both Sue and I could each hike for the first time, together. The closer we got the more emotional it became. What a wonderful day to be in the mountains with Sue.

Eventually we arrived, the wind had come up a little, there were a few more clouds than earlier, but we still enjoyed terrific views. We stopped for the usual summit pictures, a hug, and we were soon on our descent via Hamlin Ridge Trail trying to beat the rain that was slowly moving in.

The Hamlin Ridge Trail is fairly rough all of the way down from Hamlin. We were both very concerned with the footing if the huge rocks became wet. Consequently we pressed hard to reach the treeline and better footing it we had wet conditions. Fortunately, the rain stopped as fast as it started and we didn’t have any problems on our descent. Soon after dropping into the trees we came to the Hamlin Ridge – North Basin trails junction, made the turn and headed for the Chimney Pond Trail and our final exit.

The hike to Chimney Pond Trail was a short one and we started our final exit hike. The trail was still busy but not nearly like it was earlier in the day. Roughly half-way out Sue heard some noise just off the trail and saw a bear cub. I suggested we both keep our eyes open for the mother, which was most likely very near by. We kept moving and kept watching and were soon away from the area and away from the concerns.

The remainder of the hike was quiet and uneventful. We reached the trailhead before darkness set in, Sue signed us out, and we retrieved the truck for our ride back to the campground.

Thanks Sue, for an amazing day on Katahdin and for sharing your NE67 completion. Hiking Hamlin with you was definitely one of the main reasons I wanted to be part of Baxter Bash this year. I guess Knife Edge was also part of it too.

That’s three down and one to go. I have a feeling we’ll have some fun with #4.

Pictures will follow.

:D

Last edited: