What's on your feet? (Three-season hiking footwear)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's on your feet?

• Total voters

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious what you are wearing for footwear while hiking. In particular I am trying to decide if I want to switch to trail runners. I do want something lighter than my heavy LL Bean Crestas, which are nearing the end of their useful life (I slip a bit more than I would like.)

So, check one or more boxes, explain, and in particular if you are either strongly for or strongly against trail runners, I'd like to know if you are a road and/or trail runner on the side - besides being a hiker. For the sake of the poll, let's assume it's not for winter since I am quite happy with my insulated winter boots and I don't want to get into that right now. I'm primarily interested in going as light as possible for long day hikes in the Whites and New England.

Tim

Last edited:
Double plastics! (Oh, wait...never mind.)

If I'm doing a dayhike with a light pack (<20lb) I'll either wear trail runners (Vasque) or low hikers (Salomon).

I only go to "high-hikers" if I have a heavy pack or if I know I'll be on terrain where I need the additional kankle support.

What's that formula? An extra pound on your feet is like five pounds on your back...something like that.

Go light, yo. ;)

Mix of the first three:

I've been running roads and mixed trail / road in Nike Free 5.0 v4 and now Nike Free 3.0 v2 -- both great shoes, especially if you want to start with a "minimal" shoe but not go straight for the Five Fingers

Also been using Inov-8 (Roclite 295) which are great, minimal to a degree (0mm heal lift) and super grippy. Mostly for trails and mountain stuff.

Vibram Five Fingers KSO - roads / trails / mountains. They're versatile but I'm still learning what to do with them and working on making my feet tough enough to wear them in the mountains more.

I haven't used boots in years and I'm hoping to work out a system (similar to what Jason Ferris uses) to wear modified trail runners in winter.

I think minimal is the way to go: Even yesterday running out from West Bond to LW - tired, feet hurting - no falls, and even not a serious trip. I think being low to the ground you lose some comfort (so what?) but you gain 100x in terms of stability and mobility because you're able to feel the ground under you and you're able to make microadjustments in your step real fast. Also, wearing the Five Fingers I'm learning sort of "back to the basics" in terms of how to step on rock trails while utilizing your arch and toes (awesomely engineered!) and avoiding heal smashes. I haven't smashed my heal once and have suffered only a handful of toe stubs. I'm hoping I can somewhat retrain myself to be a better mountain runner that way.

-Dr. Wu

I only go to "high-hikers" if I have a heavy pack or if I know I'll be on terrain where I need the additional kankle support.
)
Try ditching the heavy shoes for the backpacking if you're already using trail runners for dayhiking. I switched to trail runners for backpacking and I'd never go back to boots when carrying a heavy pack. All the ankle support is already there...

-Dr. Wu

I'm using Merrell's that look almost like a sneaker. I don't want to use real sneakers when I hike, because I think they will wear out too quickly. But this is the lightest pair of boots I've ever worn.

I went to EMS yesterday and if memory serves, the footwear that is on my list includes:

Vasque Breeze GTX - full-height light-weight boot - some say it stinks on wet surfaces, some not, some say it is not at all water proof, some not - but all agree it is breathable which is important to me for warm weather

Garmont Flash III GTX - mid or ankle-height - primary review concerns include being on the warm side, not too breathable and questions of durability.

Merrell Moab GTX - low-cut hiking shoe

SALOMON Men's XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX - trail runners

I have notes at home. I will get crap from the CFO (SWMBO) if I go through these things too quickly and so I fear the trail runner for durability--the tread isn't much deeper than what's left on my LL Bean Cresta boots.

I tried on some other stuff too but didn't like it as much. The above list is in comfort order (so far). I fully admit no experience with trail runners but many here are quite vocal in their support. I'm not a runner and I've had knee problems so I want some stability and have come to appreciate green Superfeet insoles.

Tim

Last edited:
Vasque Velocity GTX...currently have a pair with 700 plus miles on them ... :)....but I retired them from hiking at 500 miles (350 would have been more realistic). Replacement pair is at about 220 miles and just starting to show toe tread wear and some slip.

Really like these, but REI isn't carrying them any more and they are getting tough to find. Next I may try Inov8 Roc Lites.

Saw a few hikers out this weekend in Four Fingers.

Currently in trail runners. Got rid of boots several years ago. I only wear boots in the winter. I'm firmly convinced that the "boots provide ankle support" theory is a complete myth. Both my wife and I twist our ankles far less frequently in trail runners than we used to in boots, whether we are running light or carrying heavy climbing or overnight packs. I think all that boots do is put a big lever under your foot to exacerbate twisting and increase injuries. The only time a boot actually prevents an ankle injury is when it's a cast (like a big plastic double), and you can't walk in that very well.

Currently for heavy packs and bushwhacks I'm in Scarpa Pursuit GTX. Lighter running is in La Sportiva Wildcat or La Sportiva Crosslite. I'm eyeing the VFF, but I just today picked up a pair of Huarache sandals from Invisibleshoe.com, and I'm going to give them some time next week. If they're cool, I may skip the VFFs.

TCD

Trail runners. Inov-8 318 GTX. The driest shoe I've ever owned. Made the switch from hiking boots to trail runners. I always felt that I needed the ankle support of boots but found I rolled my ankles no matter what. It's more of paying better attention to my foot-strike.

Also wear Vasque Velocity GTXs though I'm not sure what these are classified as.

Montrail or Vasque trail runners

I wear Montrail or Vasque trail runners. I had some mountaineering boots fitted several years ago. The bootfitter noticed that I had a narrow heel dimension and was wide in the ball/toe area. He stated that these two manufacturers consistantly make shoes on a last with a narrow heel and a wide ball/toe box. I subsequently found that I could wear these two brands for many miles without any foot discomfort.

I always wear gaitors which brings up another factor. I've worn some brands (Merrill in particlular) that have no step or groove to accomodate the strap that keeps the gaitor down low on the shoe. Hence the string or strap gets cut or wears through quickly, then the gaitor rides up and does not serve its purpose to keep stones out of my shoes.

Finally, I have a very high arch and instep. The boot fitter suggested a lacing sequence where I miss a few holes that cross the highest point on my instep. This reduced the pressure on my instep and I could still lace up tight in the areas where I wanted it most. Seeing the bootfitter was definately a good investment for me.

I've never once turned/sprained an ankle so the high boots thing is just not part of my reality.

Last edited:
Gaiters go hand-in-hand with my high boots because otherwise I stop every 5 minutes to dump crap out of the boots. I think a close fit like the trail runner eliminates the gaps (to a high degree anyway) and of course improves breath-ability. Anyone care to comment on years / miles that they will last? I know Sabrina did already...

Tim

Anyone care to comment on years / miles that they will last? I know Sabrina did already...

Tim
IIRC there was a thread a few years ago that discussed Vibram soles. Vibram comes in a few different varieties the chief difference is the hardness of the rubber. The harder ones last longer and protect the feet from sharp points better. The softer ones have better grip on rock surfaces but do not last as long. Beyond that personnal habits such as dragging your feet, twisting on the heel as you transfer weight and terrain were the major factors in how long a sole would last.

A sole worn by an a sole may be the topic for another thread. :rolleyes:

Here's another vote for the Inov8s. The company's sticky rubber compound is seriously the grippiest tread I've ever come across. I can literally walk down wet slabs of rock and feel confident that I'm not going to slip. Pretty cool stuff.

Plus, as Wu mentioned most of their footwear has a minimalistic feel - simple construction, lightweight, little/no heel lift. The one downside is that I do go through them rather quickly. I'm guessing I get about 350 miles per pair before I retire them from aggressive trail use.

My favorite model right now is the Roclite 275 GTX (which is women's-specific) - they are my go to shoe for both hiking and ultrarunning. I know a lot of folks shy away from goretex for trail runners. However, I've found that these shoes drain very well for me, even with the GTX. I've brought them out for 5 to 62 miles at a time, and never sustained a single blister!

I've also run in the Roclite 295s and 312 GTXs, both of which I'd recommend as well. The one issue I've noticed with the 312s, though, is that the mesh is not very durable; I tear through parts of it within a few hikes. However, the GTX liner still makes the shoes very wearable even when torn.

And of course, if you switch to trail runners be sure to pair them with a pair of Dirty Girls... ;)

Gaiters go hand-in-hand with my high boots because otherwise I stop every 5 minutes to dump crap out of the boots. I think a close fit like the trail runner eliminates the gaps (to a high degree anyway) and of course improves breath-ability. Anyone care to comment on years / miles that they will last? I know Sabrina did already...
I never use gaiters. Personal preference, I guess. Years / miles? I usually get 3+ seasons out of a trail runner. The Sasquatch will usually, if lucky, get 3+ weeks. :p
IIRC there was a thread a few years ago that discussed Vibram soles. Vibram comes in a few different varieties the chief difference is the hardness of the rubber. The harder ones last longer and protect the feet from sharp points better. The softer ones have better grip on rock surfaces but do not last as long. Beyond that personnal habits such as dragging your feet, twisting on the heel as you transfer weight and terrain were the major factors in how long a sole would last.
The VFF bottoms seem virtually indestructible. From what I have read and can tell, they typically fail in the uppers before the bottom part. The ones I have (KSO) are relatively soft on the bottom, have no real "grip" but I have not had any slipping and sliding problems at all on rocks and haven't even remotely worn out after trail running and road running so go figure. Only 3mm between you and the ground. And believe me, any bad habits go away quickly with the VFF's.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Here's another vote for the Inov8s. The company's sticky rubber compound is seriously the grippiest tread I've ever come across. I can literally walk down wet slabs of rock and feel confident that I'm not going to slip. Pretty cool stuff.
Slightly off topic -- ever try walking on wet slabs of rock completely barefoot? Traction is unreal compared to even Inov-8's.
Plus, as Wu mentioned most of their footwear has a minimalistic feel - simple construction, lightweight, little/no heel lift. The one downside is that I do go through them rather quickly. I'm guessing I get about 350 miles per pair before I retire them from aggressive trail use.
This is probably individual to individual. I've put ~400 fairly aggressive miles on my Roclite 295's -- all trails, no roads and they look pretty much new. They'll last me through winter this year and probably spring of next year. Rob, on the other hand, will probably get ~4 weeks out of his!
And of course, if you switch to trail runners be sure to pair them with a pair of Dirty Girls... ;)
Just got a pair for Jess!!

-Dr. Wu

Light supportive waterproof grippy boots

When I hike it is usually for trailwork, toting 20 lbs of tools plus the day pack. We move slow. I have found a boot that does all I'd ask of a boot: reasonably supportive on moderate/steep terrain with a 30-lb load, all leather, loops/eyelets in the right place to triple-lace across the instep, light enough that when I stumble I can be agile, yet just enough ankle support. Also has soft carbon rubber soles that are very grippy on rock, which I find to be absolutely necessary. If used onle for hiking, they last me about 2 years.
These boots are the Altitude, by Hi-Tech. They are sold at Super Shoes stores (formerly Dexters). Watch the flyers in the newspapers for the back-to-school sale soon, they'll be $20 off, or a sale price of only $50.

I'm with Paradox with the narrow heel, wide toe box thing and made the switch to ultra light Montrail gtx shoes a few years ago..they weigh nothing and have the grippiest sole..Shredded some of the exterior mesh on Presis last couple of weeks but current pair has a couple of hundred miles left I think

Have Inov8s as well..very light and grippy though my feet swim in them a bit..kind of like putting on a pair of slippers

it seems the only folks you see on the trails with foot issues are wearing leather boots

Last edited: