What's on your feet? (Three-season hiking footwear)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's on your feet?

• Total voters
I started hiking in full uppers, then switched to trail runners (New Balance, as they were one of the few shoes wide enough for my feet), even with a full pack I'll use trail runners, I find I don't need the ankle support as much when I have more flexibility in my foot.

Recently I've been using the Vibram Five Fingers, my girlfriend (who also loves them) and I have hiked the Moats and King Ravine, Monadnock, Nancy and she did Huntington ravine recently (maybe a couple others too) and so far they've been great. I recently upgraded from the KSO to the Trek, largely for the thicker rubber (I find I occasionally step on small rocks the wrong way and there isn't quite enough protection with the KSO for my taste, I hope the Trek will be better), I should get to try them this weekend. I find the traction outstanding, but they do take a lot of getting used to as far as building foot strength. I'm going to be sad when fall comes and I'll have to change back to clunkers for the warmth.

I guess it just depends on your hiking style

I started hiking in full uppers, then switched to trail runners (New Balance, as they were one of the few shoes wide enough for my feet), even with a full pack I'll use trail runners, I find I don't need the ankle support as much when I have more flexibility in my foot.
Bingo! That's why I keep telling people I love the minimal shoes.... the Vibram Five Fingers are several steps up from trail runners even in terms of stability. Despite the fact that they have no tread and almost no grip, I feel completely stable with them (ankles), don't have any slips/falls that I would normally even occasionally have with trail runners. Forget about boots, I used to fall all the time. The thing about the VFF's is you feel everything underneath you so it's easy to make microadjustments to keep yourself stable and not falling. It also retrains you to take full advantage of your toes and arches which are awesome springs / shock absorbers. And I feel like I've been able to completely re-evaluate my running/walking mechanics, stop heal striking, focus on movement based on how our legs/feet are built. The biggest problem so far is you sacrifice comfort (although, you'll be surprised how strong and resilient the soft under parts of your feet are -- no blisters, hot spots, red spots, cuts, gashes -- they look great) -- it hurts to run on rocks (but not hike -- hiking in the VFF's is fairly comfortable) but maybe it's a matter of de-wimping me feet after years of wearing so much padding. The VFF's don't even look so stupid anymore since they're becoming fairly recognizable -- I'm not completely embarrassed to wear them anymore.

-Dr. Wu

Used trail runners for years but I now have a pair of custom made full grain leather boots. I actually prefer the rigid sole of my boots over the softer trail runner soles. My boots feel like slippers and my feel are no longer tired at the end of the day.

Keen Low Hikers

My experience is that the new balance 800 series has gotten lighter with better ventilation but unfortunately less durable over the years, the 801's that I started with lasted a lot longer (except for the toe cap) than more recent models. I tend to shred a pair in a year

Ditto.

I really liked the early models of these (8-10 years back). My partner and I used them for 3/4 of our thruhike (got maybe 600 miles a pair) and since then on alot on NH/Maine NEHH and bushwhacking (added gaiters). Personally I don't like the recent models and don't find them comfortable anymore (for my feet...)

I'm pretty impressed with the pair of Keen low cut hiking shoes I have now. Waterproof, and comfortable. They have almost a mocassin feel to them but with a solid arch and sole) With high arches and plantar fascitiitis, I needed inserts in other shoes. I haven't used them since I got these. I've got maybe 50-55 trail miles on them (hiking, not running - Bonds, Twins, Carters, Willey Range, etc.) with little wear showing and still comfortable. Can't say I've gotten them wet enough to really test them.

I would also love to know the age and fitness level of the people who hike long distances in sneakers or anything less than a boot. More and more I see young people scampering by in tennis shoes, but I just cannot imagine hiking something like the Presis in anything less than a full-on boot (not necessarily full leather--although I love leather boots).

But I am middle-aged, fat and slow, so there you go.

I would also love to know the age and fitness level of the people who hike long distances in sneakers or anything less than a boot. More and more I see young people scampering by in tennis shoes, but I just cannot imagine hiking something like the Presis in anything less than a full-on boot (not necessarily full leather--although I love leather boots).

But I am middle-aged, fat and slow, so there you go.

Don't feel bad. You have lots of company. I am "young" old age but can relate. As long as we keep moving that's what counts regardless of what we have on our feet. Ever onward! :)

I would also love to know the age and fitness level of the people who hike long distances in sneakers or anything less than a boot.

I started wearing the low cut trail shoes exclusively in my early 50's and continue to do so. At 55 I did a S-N Presi Traverse plus Isolation (30+ miles) with low shoes. Feet were fine. All my regular hiking partners all wear low shoes. None are 20-somethings. We are all fitter than most our age.

JohnL

I've recently tried switching to trail shoes - currently a low-cut version of the Vasque Breeze. The soles are stiff enough to provide good support and I'm happy with the traction.

I definitely appreciate the lighter shoe, but on the downhill, my foot tends to slide forward a bit and my toes start to feel banged up after awhile. Anyone else have this problem? The shoes seem to fit well otherwise.

(also somewhat fat and slow :) )

I've recently tried switching to trail shoes - currently a low-cut version of the Vasque Breeze. The soles are stiff enough to provide good support and I'm happy with the traction.

I definitely appreciate the lighter shoe, but on the downhill, my foot tends to slide forward a bit and my toes start to feel banged up after awhile. Anyone else have this problem? The shoes seem to fit well otherwise.

(also somewhat fat and slow :) )

I noticed that when I wore my Merrill hiking shoes to do some trail work that did not require a long hike in. That was one reason I haven't worn them again--they don't hold my foot in place. Serious toe bang and blisters and I wasn't out all that long. But I am sure there are better trail show options.

Even when I was younger, my ankles were my Achilles heel (so to speak) and I've often dealt with some ankle pain.

I'm not at all knocking folks who go lighter. I just find it mystifying as I can't imagine it for myself on rocky trails. :)

Vasque Velocity GTX....

Very similar (newer)to my Vasque Kota GTX...Almost time for a change..I'll have to check 'em out:D..Backpacking or real rough terrain I wear Kayland Contacts

Last edited:
The lighter the better.

I don't believe in the concept of "weak ankles". Rather, I suspect weak ankles are no more than slow reflexes. A few sessions on a balance board should cure that.

The trouble with conventional boots is that in diminishing ankle mobility they increase stress on the knees. It's a case of choose yer poison.

I don't believe in the concept of "weak ankles". Rather, I suspect weak ankles are no more than slow reflexes. A few sessions on a balance board should cure that.

Ah. So we should ALL be wearing the lightest possible boots. One size fits all.

Some people's hot
Some people's cold
Some people's not very
Swift to behold
Some people do it
Some see right through it
Some wear pyjamas
If only they knew it

The pyjamas people are boring me to pieces
They make me feel like I am wasting my time
They all got flannel up 'n down 'em
A little trap-door back aroun' 'em
An' some cozy little footies on their mind

I should probably stop posting in this very important thread.

I'm not at all knocking folks who go lighter. I just find it mystifying as I can't imagine it for myself on rocky trails. :)

I agree. I can purchase some comfortable mid-length boots that only weigh 2 pounds total and just as light as trail running shoes. It seems to me I'm getting better ankle support and preventing SAR situation if I severely sprain and/or break them. No matter how strong your ankles are, we have rocky trails that can easily sprain them. It's not worth the risk for me.

I agree. I can purchase some comfortable mid-length boots that only weigh 2 pounds total and just as light as trail running shoes. It seems to me I'm getting better ankle support and preventing SAR situation if I severely sprain and/or break them. No matter how strong your ankles are, we have rocky trails that can easily sprain them. It's not worth the risk for me.

i have twisted/sprained way more ankles wearing boots.

since making the switch to trail runners , dare i say, no twisted/sprained ankles. yikes......

i hate the thought of boots these days, ill save them only for the extreme winter.

FWIW - I have a pair of Crestas, and I consider them light hikers. Use them on mostly even, non-rocky trails. They don't provide much protection to the sides of my feet if I'm doing rocky scrambles/navigating talus slopes.

Update

I spent a good part of the afternoon shoe shopping in Concord. First up was Joe King Shoes, the closest retailer of the Inov-8 brand (highly recommended by LRiz and Bob Hayes) but alas their inventory contained one size 13 (too small, which is helpful, since they are known to run small) and nothing else bigger than 8.5. I tried on a few other shoes and walked out after 45 minutes.

I decided to try the Concord EMS and get their opinion. I spent probably 90 minutes with Garrett (of the Kayak/paddling fame on Facebook.) He was the only one to actually measure my feet and brought out a bunch of things to try.

The best-fitting thing I tried on yet was the Scarpa Kailash GTX, which was a Backpacking Editor's Choice. It's lighter than the Cresta (1.58 pounds versus 2.02 - neither with the insoles) but a trailrunner it is not... apparently the hiking shoe departments are not as on board with the move to trailrunners. I didn't buy anything at EMS either, but I could see purchasing these boots - they fit great, looked great, were pretty comfy after 10-15 minutes, come highly-rated, and appeared (and were reviewed) as very durable...

Another takeaway was that it would be nearly impossible to get a boot of any kind w/o Gortex and which is much more breathable than what I currently have.

Anyone have these boot that might want to comment?

Still no decision / no purchase,
Tim