Steve Smith completes red lining of White Mountain trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I could not find a previous posting, and not sure if this is the best section in which to report this achievement on VftT. But, the next time that you stop by the Mountain Wanderer Books and Maps shop in Lincoln, NH, congratulate the proprietor Steve Smith for finishing the 1460+ miles in the White Mountain trail guidebook. As far as we know, Steve is the fourth to complete this red lining extravaganza, following David Govatski (USFS emeritus), Larry Garland (AMC guidebook cartographer), and Tony Federer (USFS emeritus). Steve saved "the best for last" with the Mahoosuc Notch section of the AT. Given that Steve is editor for the AMC White Mountain and southern New Hampshire trail guides, it is appropriate that he "evens the score" between the USFS and the AMC. :)

... the next time that you stop by the Mountain Wanderer Books and Maps shop in Lincoln, NH, congratulate the proprietor Steve Smith for finishing the 1460+ miles in the White Mountain trail guidebook.
Since I won't be in Lincoln for another two weeks let me congratulate Steve remotely for now. He actually saved a lot of the unpleasantness (Northern Presis) for this summer ... lots of trails that he will be happy never to hike again :D

Congratulations Steve!! Great job. Way to make for a grand finish with Mahoosuc Notch and then Mahoosuc Arm. Lots of fun right there.

I believe Steve is now the fifth person to accomplish this. The first woman to complete the trails and fourth finisher was Jadwiga Rosenthal who finished in 2009.

Great to see you the other day Steve and Congrats !!

Awesome finish!

He is one helluva guy! Congrats to him! Last year when I totaled up my red lined miles it came to just over 400 miles. I figure I will have tacked on another 50 by the end of this year, and this will make about 5 years (a little more than 5 actually). So it is indeed a lot of dedication that gets red lining done. :D

Brian

Only a handful of others have done what Steve just did, and there is no one who has completed the redlining PLUS all the other achievements that Steve has accomplished, such as authoring multiple books, countless off-trail explorations to places that others have not visited, member of the PVSART search & rescue team, member of several hiking-related committees, etc, etc.

Congratulations Steve!

Last edited:
Congratulations Steve!! Great job. Way to make for a grand finish with Mahoosuc Notch and then Mahoosuc Arm. Lots of fun right there.

I believe Steve is now the fifth person to accomplish this. The first woman to complete the trails and fourth finisher was Jadwiga Rosenthal who finished in 2009.

Thanks, John. And, Jane Gibbons (age 73) should finish this year to become the sixth Whites red line completer and second woman behind Jadwiga.

I also have learned that Cath Goodwin and Pam Bales accompanied Steve on his Mahoosuc hike, which apparently included some comical episodes, such as Pam filling up half of her 14 oz pack with blueberry cake for the occasion. Perhaps Cath will chime in here.

Congrats Steve! Incredible accomplishment, in addition to everything else he's done.
Amazing that I know all 4 people that have accomplished this, and only knew it about 2 of them!

Now I am totaly daunted. I just bought a map to redline. Ihave so so far to go. This is a an amzing feat.

Another note about Steve and some of the other reliners mentioned. They did contrivbute to the last Bird Breeding Atlas of New Hampshire...consider it a remote bushwack to census every bird.

Congrats Steve!
Not only are you a great red liner, but a really nice guy to visit in the store. :)