Great Gulf Campsites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
any info on campsites appreciated - have not been out there (beyond Madison Gulf) in over a decade - I recall some sights as you approach the Six Husbands/Wamsutta area - are there many beyond that point before Spaulding Lake? Did I read that there is one on the Wamsutta close to the junction?

Thanks for any info!

Last I was through, there were a couple at the Six Husbands Wamsutta junction, and a few more within a quarter-mile towards Spaulding Lake. That is it, if I recall.

I was only on Wamsutta once, and do not recall seeing one.

I seem to recall the Wamsutta site was closed due to a fir wave.

was out in the gulf for the first time in about 5 years a few weeks ago and learned that bear/camper problems have escalated over the last few years. lots of signage at the trailheads and i noted bear boxes at the bluff site and at osgood tentsite. don't know if the sites you are inquiring about farther up the great gulf trail have been outfitted with them as well as i diverged at madison gulf trail. something to consider in you planning.
have fun.

bryan

I was up there July, 09. Sites are at "The Bluff" near the Madison Gulf junction, Clam Rock, the old shelter site just past Wamsutta Tr.(on the left,) then one ~50 yards past that on the right (we stayed here, nice access to the river below,) these are all on GG trail.

There are also sites up Six Husbands trail at the Buttress junction. The former sites on Wamsutta have been closed per a ranger we spoke with. I did not notice anything past the former GG shelter area up to Spaulding Lake. There were no bear boxes at any of these sites as of 7/09, I think the problems around Osgood can be attributed to thru-hikers not storing food properly.

Enjoy the GG area, it is fantastic hiking.

I stayed at the old shelter site past wamsutta two weeks ago. Nice site along with the other that tdawg mentions 50 yards past on the right. I've always passed clamshell by, never found it very appealing. We did take a look around clamshell and there is a new bear box. There was also the remains of a food bag hung in a tree. It was shredded. I wonder what happened?:eek:

I would agree that hanging food anywhere in the GG and the lower east slopes is a must. At Osgood a couple weeks ago we had an encounter with a fully-habituated and very determined bear. We had to chase it off 3 times. Hang your food if you're in the back country!