Camp at old Desolation Shelter site?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHIKER

Reaction score
good afternoon;

Does anyone know if it is ok to camp at the old Desoltation Shelter site near Stillwater Jct in the pemi? I stayed there years ago and liked it. I was thinking of going in on Tuesday and staying there over night? Anyone know?

Gordon "Renaissance Man" Ripley

Pretty sure that site is off limits because of over use years ago, and if you are still planning on heading in there the suspension bridge over the east branch of the pemi on the wilderness trail has been removed. Not sure how that crossing would be this time of the year!

The whole Desolation area is pretty open and there are tons of old logging roads and camping areas and stuff -- you can find a lot campsites in that area. the bridge being out is irrelevant because you can hike in via. East Side Trail to Wilderness Trail from Lincoln Woods.

-Dr. Wu

The latest backcountry camping rules no longer mention the site of the old Desolation Shelter. Since they used to, I'd say it has been removed as a no camping zone. But check with the rangers to be sure.
I don't recall seeing signs or anything there. But, that entire area is wide open and there are lots of great camping spots on both sides of the stream there.

-Dr. Wu

I was there 4th of July weekend (hiked in via Carrigain Notch). I don't remember seeing any signs indicating any prohibitions against camping around that site. There are plenty of places to throw down a tent or two.

The latest backcountry camping rules no longer mention the site of the old Desolation Shelter. Since they used to, I'd say it has been removed as a no camping zone. But check with the rangers to be sure.

It may not be a special zone, but you are still not allowed to camp within 200' of the trail which I think the shelter site is. However there are plenty of legal flat sites in the Pemi, with a lot more firewood than former shelter sites.