Rain pants/winter shell pants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umsaskis

Reaction score
I realize that this kind of topic has been discussed before, but I've looked at old threads, and I've been around and around on the internet, and haven't found exactly what I need:

Both of my existing pairs of Gore-tex rain pants have been demolished over the years and I need a new pair. However, I am having a lot of trouble finding pants with the following requirements: Gore-tex, full side zip, for women (oh yes, there are lots of options for men's pants!) And I do think I want Gore-tex; it has done well for me in the past and I don't want to pay more for Event or some other material. It's the full side zip that is hard to find. Both my old pants were EMS, but unless I'm missing something, they don't have them with the full side zip anymore for under $200. I'm actually not sure they even have them for over $200. Any ideas?

I think you'll find that current-generation Gore-Tex pants are often more geared toward winter pursuits (i.e., skiing, alpine climbing, etc.) as they tend to be built heavier and more burly. Rain pants these days seem to be made of lighter DWR fabrics like eVent and Marmot's PreCip stuff.

A couple women's specific models you may want to check out would be the MH Lyra and the Millet Aerial Max. Worst case, if you find a pair of pants that you like that only has ankle zips, you can order a long zipper from an apparel supply company and have a local tailor sew it in for you. Most pants are constructed with a seam up the outside of the leg, so it's not a big deal to pop it open and sew in a zipper.

So then (yes, it's obvious that I haven't bought outerwear in a while since what I had sufficed for so long), I keep hearing about the Precips, but I also thought I read something on one of these threads about their durability not being so great. I tend to beat up clothes pretty well. Since I'd be using whatever I get as a summer rain pant, a winter shell pant, and for bushwhacking, how would the precips do and is there anything better, still for under $200 and still with the full side zips? (The on-sale MH Lyra only is available in one size at EMS, bummer.)