Phelps Brook Shelter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster and happy to be part of this Great Site!!!

Question: I notice in the USGS topo maps that there is a shelter just off the Van Hoevenberg Trail between Marcy Dam and the trail to Phelps Summit (on Phelps Brook). However, I don't see this listed on the ADK map or referenced anywhere else.

Is there still a shelter there? If so, Is it a leanto?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Welcome aboard!

As for the Lean-to. It is long gone. There is a designated tent site around the spot of the old lean-to though. Stayed there this summer. Quiet, quaint, and did the trick.

I think the USGS maps are from an old survey, which is why they are really only good for contours and such. Trails are hit or miss on them... even more so than the ADK maps!

The site is also quite large and flat, located just across the trail from a nice stream. Great location, but still a bit too close to Marcy Dam bears. This is the only site I have had a bear (mother and cubs) visit. Stupid me, I accidentally left a small bag of gorp in my pack. I have left the outside pocket shredded as a permanent reminder.

Tony