can this area in NH be reached without trespassing?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
It is a rail bridge is located here (google maps):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...964,-71.662477&spn=0.005523,0.009645&t=h&z=17

I saw this bridge heading north on Rt 93, near the town of Thornton. I-93 and the rail bridge both cross the Pemigewasset River here, with the river running E-W and the bridges running N-S. It's in the general White Mountains area but the land is not actually in WMNF.

I'm just curious if anyone knows if this area is completely off-limits, or if it is okay to get to this place. I'm not even sure where I would park. The reason I want to get here is that I think it will make a fantastic photo at the right time of day. I'm mainly looking to get to a spot on the side of the river just east of I-93, with the rail bridge to the east of me.

Pemi River Campground is on the western side of the river right there. If you stay there, you can have all the access you want. The river is 10+ feet deep on the golf course side (Owl's Nest GC,) and knee deep on the campground side.

I've jumped the bridge a few times, and although the bridge itself is posted nobody seems to mind. Many people from the campground walk on the bridge. I accessed it from the golf course side, I work there so no problem. But for the general public there isn't anywhere to park if you're not there to golf.

I'm just curious if anyone knows if this area is completely off-limits, or if it is okay to get to this place.
As mentioned above the approaches are private property, but open to the public for suitable activities. The campground may have a day fee or even no fee if asked, and the golf course might allow access if asked particularly in the off season.

...or you could put in a canoe/kayak upstream, paddle to that point, and take out downstream on public land at Blair Bridge. If you needed to be dropped off, Baker River Excursions could arrange it for you and suggest access points.

I would call Owl’s Nest and explain what you want to do and ask if it is ok to walk the course very early in the morning to take your photo. As long as you do not interfere with any golfers, they might say it is ok. Or play the front 9 very early and carry your camera.

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the information previously. I contacted the campground and they were very friendly... They had no problem with the two of us driving in and wading out into the river for the shots I was aiming for. In fact, when we showed up, the guy at the desk didn't even really understand why I was bothering to tell him we were going in.

It turned out to be pretty nice around sunset there and I got a lot of decent photos... here's one of them:

In fact, when we showed up, the guy at the desk didn't even really understand why I was bothering to tell him we were going in.

Beautiful shot. He probably didn't care because in NH you have implied rights to use any non-posted land for recreation.