A Journey to Redrock Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoAkela

Reaction score
I’ve long been intrigued by a small tarn named Bear Pond, or Redrock Pond to others, nestled in a small glacial cirque in the middle of the Pemi Wilderness. It is about as remote a place as you can get in the Pemi, being almost ten miles from any trailhead, and with some of those miles off-trail. I first saw this little gem of a place several years ago from the top of West Bond.

So, with our destination in mind, my faithful hiking dog Kirby and I started down the Lincoln Woods trail at 10 AM on a sunny Tuesday. We were armed with a map, compass, and an old copy of a popular hiking book which described a route to the remote pond via a logging spur and old roads. I wondered if the information, now several decades old, would still serve today.

The Lincoln Woods trail was its usual crowded, arrow-straight self, and in no time at all we were on the Franconia Brook trail headed north. This trail, like Lincoln Woods, also follows an old railroad grade, but I enjoy it more due to its relative remoteness and woodsy beauty.

Red001.jpg

Along the way, the trail passes several attractive beaver ponds and meadows.

Red002.jpg

At times it comes out in the open to let the sunshine in. Late summer flowers paint the meadows and the trees take turns from spruce to birches, and then back again.

Red003.jpg

After crossing Hellgate Brook, we traveled further on until we reached Redrock Brook. At this point, the old guide says to travel further onward towards 13 Falls until you find the old railroad grade that went up to Camp 14 back in the old logging days. I was tempted to bushwhack straight up the ravine from the brook, but instead we followed the main trail for another 15 minutes or so until I could make out the old railroad coming up alongside the trail. Once we were on the grade heading back around the arm of the ravine, it was extremely easy to follow, though it did not look like anyone had been out this way recently.

Red004.jpg

The old railroad bed wrapped its way around the side of the mountain in a slow, easy ascent. Along the way we saw some evidence of past railroad days.

Red005.jpg

As we got further and further into the ravine, the blowdowns got more and more frequent, but the grade was still fairly easy to follow. Eventually, the path came to an end as it met up with the brook. We climbed up the bank a little ways where we met an old overgrown road leading further in. Again, this was fairly easy to follow and there was a somewhat beaten path that we walked along. Soon, the path intersected the brook, where it was fairly easy to see how it got the name Redrock.

Red006.jpg

The small cascades along the brook were a pleasant accompaniment to our trek.

Red007.jpg

The road vanished after a while, so we were left to walk along a faint path that sidehilled on the north side of the brook. The water flow faded until we were walking alongside a dry brook bed, though we could still hear water flowing underneath the rocks. The brook split many times but we kept to the north each time.

After a while, there was a break in the forest at a lovely birch and fern glade. Could this be the site of Camp 14? It was in the right general area, and there were no clearings to be seen anywhere else. I looked around for a while for relics to confirm this, but found none.

Red014.jpg

The brook bed got narrower and narrower, and soon we broke out into a talus field at the bottom of the cirque. We headed straight across and into the woods beyond, turning to the right. This was a mistake, as we soon realized the pond was to the left (west) of where we were. Angling over to hit the pond, we thrashed through a horrible, blowdown-infested spruce nightmare. Kirby was somewhere underneath me as I clambered over broken, rotting logs, unable to see the ground. Finally, we burst out of the mess and onto a beautiful scene.

Words just cannot aptly describe this glass-still body of water, encased on three sides by a beautiful natural amphitheater. Vast slides, cliffs, and talus slopes rose up on every side. Green flowing grasses topped with white flowers in full bloom ringed the shore, where rocks and sand merged gently into the murky pool. I almost was afraid to walk along the edge, as I did not want to trample any of the fragile vegetation. This was truly a sublime location, a relic of times past when journeys into the wilderness were explorations of undiscovered wonder.

Red013.jpg

We spent several hours exploring the talus fields above the pond and walking along the shore.

Red012.jpg

The upper slopes of West Bond were clearly visible from my perch on the talus slope. I wondered if someone high above wondered about the little red speck moving about the ravine.

All too soon, it was time to head back. I took one last look back across the pond before plunging back into the spruce, making a promise to return someday soon. Hours later we passed mile twenty-two at the end of the long march back to the car, where I pondered not for the first time about the lives of the lumbermen who worked in these woods so many years ago.

Such a fascinating and rich history, and one that will always be appreciated by this backwoods wanderer.

Red010.jpg

Beautiful pictures of what looked like a great trip! Good boy, Kirby!

Thanks for posting.

Absolutely spectacular trip report, and pictures to go along with it. You made it look so darn easy....

That pond and the surrounding mountainside almost looks like something out of the Rockies. So great!

grouseking

I used to have Daniel Doan's guides, "50 Hikes in New Hampshire" and "50 More Hikes in New Hampshire." You've made this one sound so appetizing, just like he did. Thanks.
Great photos, especially the brook!

Super!

You've created a superp collection of narrative and photos of very special area I've always wanted to visit. What a great job!

It's been so dry. I'm surprised Red Rock Brook appears to have a healthy flow. Seems like the prettiest brooks and waterfalls are all looking anemic this summer. Maybe it's a testimony to your photographic talents.

Such a fascinating and rich history, and one that will always be appreciated by this backwoods wanderer.
Kudos to you Mr. " backwoods wanderer"!

Your explorations are unique, the quality of your photographic documentation is beyond awesome, and your narrative descriptions are just simply superb! Any reports that I might file on VFTT in the future will be done with a certain sense of inadequacy, knowing that nothing I can report upon will measure up to the high standard you have created.

Last edited:
That first picture of Redrock Brook, with the cascades in the backgroup, is postcard quality. Just incredible.

Loved the whole story and this is still on my list to get to at some point....

Amazing!

Simply amazing! What an inspiring report made even better with the superb pics! I've been curious about the pond for awhile but now I know I have to visit.

Beautiful, top 5 most impressive places in the Whites. Did you get to the spot where Red Rock brook goes underground? It is incredible, one minute it flowing heavily, then it just vanishes into some moss covered rocks.

What a unique TR. Thanks for sharing.

On the subject of brooks, according to the WaterWatch site (http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=nh), the northern half of the state is within the normal percentile range while the southern half is very, very low. Baboosic Brook, which I drive or ride over on the way to work, is not visibly moving and is lower than I've ever seen it-and I've seen it crest the road-last May and the May before.

Tim

What a unique TR. Thanks for sharing.

On the subject of brooks, according to the WaterWatch site (http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=nh), the northern half of the state is within the normal percentile range while the southern half is very, very low. Baboosic Brook, which I drive or ride over on the way to work, is not visibly moving and is lower than I've ever seen it-and I've seen it crest the road-last May and the May before.

Tim

Amazing with what a few months can bring...back in Feb and March, we had all those storms and floods, now look where we are!

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments! I spent more time attempting to keep the dog from shaking water onto my camera than I did taking photos, so I was surprised a few came out OK. I'll certainly go back someday with a more photo-ready state of mind. There is a second cirque next to this one that I have peered down into from the Twinway - that would be an interesting place to explore, as well as the huge talus slide a bit further over on the side of Bond.

Barkingcat - this certainly would be an interesting place to visit in the winter! Though, it would be a long, long slog on snowshoes, and depending upon the snow depth, the pond might not be visible in the cirque.

Mattl - I missed that spot where the water vanishes. One moment there was a good flow of water, and the next time I looked it was a dry brook bed. I must have been further up on the bank when the switch happened.

Dr. D - the water did not look overly deep, though when the dog dove in and swam around for a while she did not appear to be touching bottom. Despite the name, the pond has very little rocks - just a couple scattered about on the edge. The bottom of the pond seemed to be made up of mostly silt or mud. :)

I just noticed this little pond on a map of the White Mountains and said "wow, I bet this pond is awesome based on its location in the Pemi". And so I did a google search and surprise, suprise, you've already been there and done that! It looks even more great than I thought it would.

Thanks for sharing!

NICE report!!!! Been there late summer and it's a different place - looked to me more like a shallow mud pit at the time!!!! I found the rock field (which we found before finding the actual pond) quite impressive - the biggest runout of any slide I'd ever seen!!!!

Last edited: