bog bridge and general condition of Shoal Pond trail.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FARMER

Reaction score
JF, Sasquatch and I were in there last August or so and was wondering if the trail is still in the same (less than ideal) condition?

JF, Sasquatch and I were in there last August or so and was wondering if the trail is still in the same (less than ideal) condition?
I was there in November and the part south of Ethan Pond was a mess. Beyond that it was pretty nice. Once those bog bridges on the Northern Part of the trail completely rot/disappear that 1-2 mile section will basically be impassable.

-Dr. Wu

Once those bog bridges on the Northern Part of the trail completely rot/disappear that 1-2 mile section will basically be impassable.

-Dr. Wu

Yessah they were quite awful as I recall trying to run through there was quite difficult.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all of the Shoal Pond Trail South(west) of Ethan Pond.

As of the penultimate weekend in July, the Shoal Pond Trail was quite a pleasant hike. Some of the bog bridges may have been slippery and a couple may have been in disrepair, but nothing that stands out in my mind. (Keep in mind that this is coming from a hiking, not a trail-running perspective.)

My wife and I hiked through there last weekend as part of a three day backpacking trip. Parts of the trail have been recently brushed out. The bog bridges are old but most are adequate for hiking. We hiked it on a dry sunny day and even then many of the surfaces of the bog bridges were damp and extremely slick. I went down once and ended up sticking my arm into the mud up to the elbow. Be very careful with your footing on the bog logs!