Grand opening of New Monadnock Campground

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietman

Reaction score
Some of you may already know about this, but for those who don't, the new campground at Monadnock opened in July. There is an article about it in today's Union Leader but I couldn't find it online.

The campground is located at Gilson Pond which is just north of the state park entrance road, at the site of a previous private campground. Camping at the state park headquarters will now be limited to groups only. I walked through the area last year during construction and it looked nice. Unfortunately, a fee is now required to hike the Brichtoft trail, which I used to use to avoid the circus at the headquaters. Back to the Dublin trail for me.

The article discused the choice of opening a new facility when so many others are in dire need of repair, and also anounced a partnership between the state park system and EMS. EMS will promote the parks system and the parks will promote EMS. EMS may also set up "model" campsites with gear at the parks.

When this was proposed, I suggested that it was the groups that should be at Gilson Pond - hopefully they would then hike up the mountain from there reducing traffic on the main trail while families would probably drive to HQ anyway for the shorter approach. Also if no groups were booked you wouldn't need a staffer there while families could arrive anytime.

But nobody listens to me.