Guyot Shelter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Just simple info (weather dependent...want to do the BONDS next weekend)

1. how much
2. Capacity...leanto and/or platforms?
3. Trail from Guyout to Mt. Zealand (would love to tick this one off too while in the area...maybe the 1st day before heading to the shelter...approx 15.0 miles for day one with W. Bond on the way back to the car...Lincoln Woods trailhead)

Thanks.

1) How much money??? $8 last time I was there (2008). Don't know about now.
2) shelter/platforms
3) yes, there's a trail from Guyot to Zealand......I don't understand the question

p.s. tell the caretaker the Civil War barricades on the summit look stupid.

Thanks...

2. Trail between Guyout and Zealand...how is it? tagging it on the 1st day (after Bond and Bond cliff...and before spending the night at the shelter) is what we would like to do...but, that will depend how the trail is...steep, hard to find, ledgy, trolls, killer moose...stuff like that

If you are going to do the Bonds and Zealand in one day, then you may as well go all the way to Zealand hut. It's all down hill after Zealand.

If you are going to do the Bonds and Zealand in one day, then you may as well go all the way to Zealand hut. It's all down hill after Zealand.

Only problem is...can't do a car spot. We'd have to go BACK...and hit W. Bond on the way out...was hoping to only have to do 15ish miles ONE of the days...

But...suggestions?

Agreed -- or Galehead hut.

We stayed at Galehead hut one evening a few years ago, did the Bonds and then Zealand, chilled at the Zealand hut for a bit and then hiked out to our car at the Zealand Trail trailhead.

(We would have thrown in Hale, but ran out of nice daylight.)

Because of the location and lack of viable camping options nearby, Guyot fills up early on Friday and Saturday nights. It's hard to predict which will fill first, the shelter or the tent platforms. I much prefer tenting if I have the option as the shelter is somewhat rodent infested.

On Saturday nights there will often be 75+ people up there and the caretaker will direct you to overflow spots up on the ridge if you don't have a spot at the campsite proper.

Thanks...

2. Trail between Guyout and Zealand...how is it? tagging it on the 1st day (after Bond and Bond cliff...and before spending the night at the shelter) is what we would like to do...but, that will depend how the trail is...steep, hard to find, ledgy, trolls, killer moose...stuff like that
The trail isn't challenging, but the footing isn't all that great until you get near the spur trail to the top of Zealand. Lots of rocks stand between Zeland and Guyot.

FWIW, here's what I would suggest:

1.Leave home Friday night.

2.Camp at one of the campgrounds on Zealand Road, FR304, or find a place to camp legally in the woods on Zealand Trail.

3.In the morning hike to Mt. Zealand.

4.Head to Guyot, planning to arrive before 2pm.

5.Set up camp.

6.Eat something.

7.Take a leisurely hike without backpacks to Bond, West Bond, Bondcliff, wherever.

8.Arrive back at camp and sleep for the night.

9.Head back out the way you came, going over Hale if you are so inclined.

Because of the location and lack of viable camping options nearby, Guyot fills up early on Friday and Saturday nights. It's hard to predict which will fill first, the shelter or the tent platforms. I much prefer tenting if I have the option as the shelter is somewhat rodent infested.

On Saturday nights there will often be 75+ people up there and the caretaker will direct you to overflow spots up on the ridge if you don't have a spot at the campsite proper.

75 people !!!:eek:

What if, when you get there...there isn't room? We have a tent...and will bring it (of course)...they won't say "sucks to be you...go home" will they? They'll let us spend the night...SOMEWHERE in our tent...hopefully...?

FWIW, here's what I would suggest:

1.Leave home Friday night.

2.Camp at one of the campgrounds on Zealand Road, FR304, or find a place to camp legally in the woods on Zealand Trail.

3.In the morning hike to Mt. Zealand.

4.Head to Guyot, planning to arrive before 2pm.

5.Set up camp.

6.Eat something.

7.Take a leisurely hike without backpacks to Bond, West Bond, Bondcliff, wherever.

8.Arrive back at camp and sleep for the night.

9.Head back out the way you came, going over Hale if you are so inclined.

INTERESTING!!! Someone had recommended we come in via Lincoln woods...but...I like your idea...

75 people !!!:eek:

What if, when you get there...there isn't room? We have a tent...and will bring it (of course)...they won't say "sucks to be you...go home" will they? They'll let us spend the night...SOMEWHERE in our tent...hopefully...?

As far as I know they have never sent people home. The downside with using the overflow spots is that they are not the most ideal setting but I'm sure you could manage. And I agree with WardsGirl itinerary. Quite feasible and you'll have a better chance of getting a tent platform.

Hiking out of Lincoln Woods on Saturday morning (7:15) but heading of Osseo to Flume. Hope your trails pass again.

Note this post which claims that the overflow sites were closed by the current caretaker.

Wardsgirl is right on. Hiking to Guyot Campsite via Zealand Trail, The Twinway and Bondcliff Trail is a shorter hike than traveling via The Wilderness Trail. This hike gives you a better opportunity to arrive sooner to get a tent platform. The shelter may have Thru Hikers.

If you don’t arrive to Guyot with enough time to tag the Bonds, make camp at Guyot, eat dinner, grab your headlamp, fleece and go tag W. Bond for the sunset. :) Get up early the next day; leave your gear at the top of Guyot Shelter spur trail. Go tag Mt. Bond and Bondcliff. (Have a small bag or fanny pack for stuff) Return to grab your gear and head back to Zealand Trail parking. Have a great hike!

Note this post which claims that the overflow sites were closed by the current caretaker.
I have no doubt that some of the sites have been closed, but I really don't think the caretaker has the authority to close them all. Plus, if faced with that most hikers would just ignore him and set up camp anyways. Most folks know where the sites are and a sign isn't going to mean much at 8:00 PM on the ridge.

He was out at ~8:20 pm last night looking for a reported "lady" (hah! that would be moi) on top of West Bond...

The overflow campsites are posted with no-camping signs so not sure where the "overflow" is currently.

The scree/deadwood walls are wicked ugly.