Guyot Tent Staking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegalJoey

Reaction score
I plan on camping at Guyot campsite next week. The tent I have is not fully free standing. It requires at least six stakes to maximize space and stability.

Assuming I get a platform at Guyot, is it possible to put stakes into the platform?

Thanks!

no on the stakes, but you just tie your guy lines to the nails sticking out of the platform and ta da!

The old standby was carrying some screw in cuphooks. Some caretakers do not like them and do not want you to use them. They would prefer that you rig lines out from the base of the platform (which doesnt work as well). Unless you get there real early, it may be a non issue. Do plan to setup on only half the platform as I expect the caretaker will be having to optimize the number of spaces (AKA cramming them in).

I think I stayed on a Guyot platform once in my sisters borrowed, non-freestanding solo tent. You won't be able to put the stakes in because the platforms are wood!! But I was able to tie it off with accessory cord to some metal loops on the sides of the platforms. It wasn't as tight as it should have been, but it worked. Had it rained it may have been a different story. So bring some rope.

If the place is full you may be directed to the overflow area up on the ridge, where your tent-stakes can function how they were intended. You could volunteer to be "first to go" I guess, but I'd rather be near the water source and the privy if I can be.

Sounds good. Are there always nails in the platforms or do I need to pack a hammer?
There are many nails already in place, but in the event you have to put in a new one I suspect a rock will function admirably, rather than hauling a hammer up there. :)