Help/advice - "hiker car" needed??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whichway

Reaction score
My little car has moved on the the Big Parking Lot In The Sky and i'm in need of wheels ASAP. Don't know where to start though and desperate for some advice and guidance - i'm seeking something with, in rough order of importance:

- all-wheel drive since i'm challenged at winter-condition driving
- rear seats that fold down totally flat so that i (and maybe a 2nd person) can sleep in the back
- either 'fits' shorter people or has a driver's seat with a vertical adjustment
- high ground clearance (think Caribou Valley Rd)
- decent gas mileage
- small enough that i can park it easily without hitting other cars
- more like an SUV than a minivan

The potential vehicle should also not be 'too' old or have high mileage, since i can't afford the multitude of costly repairs that my older cars have given me.
* this is directly countered by the fact that*
Between what the insurance company gave me for the total loss of my last car, plus what i can scrounge together, my budget is about $7k.

SO -
What do you drive? What do you like/hate about it? What would you get if you, well, were in my position?
Especially looking for responses from hikers who have owned older cars - i'm sure your late-model cars are fantastic, but it's not gonna happen for me.

i lose the rental car on 31st August, so the clock is ticking... :eek:

My little car has moved on the the Big Parking Lot In The Sky and i'm in need of wheels ASAP. Don't know where to start though and desperate for some advice and guidance - i'm seeking something with, in rough order of importance:

- all-wheel drive since i'm challenged at winter-condition driving
- rear seats that fold down totally flat so that i (and maybe a 2nd person) can sleep in the back
- either 'fits' shorter people or has a driver's seat with a vertical adjustment
- high ground clearance (think Caribou Valley Rd)
- decent gas mileage
- small enough that i can park it easily without hitting other cars
- more like an SUV than a minivan

The potential vehicle should also not be 'too' old or have high mileage, since i can't afford the multitude of costly repairs that my older cars have given me.
* this is directly countered by the fact that*
Between what the insurance company gave me for the total loss of my last car, plus what i can scrounge together, my budget is about $7k.

SO -
What do you drive? What do you like/hate about it? What would you get if you, well, were in my position?
Especially looking for responses from hikers who have owned older cars - i'm sure your late-model cars are fantastic, but it's not gonna happen for me.

i lose the rental car on 31st August, so the clock is ticking... :eek:

sounds like any subaru will do

A Soob wagon seems to be the traditional climber/hiker car, and you don't wanna go breaking tradition... ;)

Whatever you end up getting, make sure to slap a VFTT window sticker on it! :D

I said goodbye to my Subaru Forrester last week, and right now, I'm thinking either a Subaru Outback or a Rav-4. I need to test drive both before I decide. The Forrester was good (especially with heated seats), but I'm looking for a different style.

Not sure what kind of deal you can get in VT, but for 7k, I think you're looking at a newer model with higher mileage or a 2004-2005 with decent mileage.

Cars.com is the way to go, it will find you cars around your area to compare.

Two Subarus in my lifetime, both absolute pieces of complete crap.

Won't be fooled again....

Used subarus hold there value and might be hard to come by.

I am in my second.

Honda Element! I took out the rear seats the week I brought it home. With the right tires, it has sufficient clearance for anything a hiker needs. And if you have the good sense to buy the manual transmission version, you'll shock any number of people with its acceleration onto the highway and when you want to pass. The powertrain is very well designed. The one weakness is the gas consumption. I get 22-24 mpg consistently with my AWD Element, depending on whether the seventeen foot canoe is on top or not.

I've had an 80's 4WD Cherokee (30 mpg with that inline four cylinder engine!), a Subaru AWD Justy, a VW Golf, and a 4WD Chevy Suburban. They were all driven in hardcore winter conditions, all but the Golf in the mountains. The Element is my favorite among all of them.

You can see lots of other satisfied, outdoor-oriented Element owners at Element Owners Club -- Activities.

EDIT: You don't need to remove the rear seats to sleep in the back -- they can be flipped up to the sides. Or you can remove just one.

Last edited:
My '02 Forester has been fantastic. Still going strong at 133K. YMMV.

I picked up a 2001 CRV about two years back - I think it has everything you're looking for but it's a bit of a challenge to use the roof rack (which I do on occasion) due to the height.

fwiw, when I was in the process of looking, my mechanic recommended I stick with Hondas or Subaru Foresters or Outbacks - but only if the Subaru's were built after '01. He said the more recent Suby models are much more reliable.

From what I remember, you'll probably have better luck finding a solid Forester or Outback in that price range than a Honda. But whatever you buy, make sure you take it to a mechanic you trust first - it may cost you a bit, but it can save you a heck of a lot more.

SO -
What do you drive? What do you like/hate about it?

Well, my 2003 4X4 Ford Explorer Sport Trac just hit 160,000 miles yesterday and it hasn't given me a hint of trouble. And I dont baby it either, it's a mountain truck. It doesn't satisfy your "sleep-in" requirement, but have you considered a pickup truck (like the F-150) where you could sleep comfortably in its bed?

A Honda Element might be worth a look too. 25mpg/hiway, AWD, and plenty of room inside.

I did a quick look at Cars.com and your options are pretty limited at your price range. If you are lucky you might be able to get a private sale but most of the AWD vehicles except Subarus are going to be tough to pick up for 7K.

A bit of an oddball but one to look at is a Suzuki SX4, they are smaller than a subaru (Subarus just keep getting bigger every time they come out with a new model). I havent driven one but have talked to a few folks at trailheads that seem to like them and havent had any issues.

Alternatively a Toyota Matrix or the Pontiac Vibe (formerly made in the same plant in California). They were both offered as front wheel drive and all wheel drive and its hard to beat the reliability.

Keep in mind, AWD adds a lot of weight to a small car and you will be paying for it at the pumps every time you fill it up. Realisitically for 90% of drivers in areas with snowplows and mostly paved roads (excludes half of VT:rolleyes:), a good front wheel drive with real live snow tires (or studs for real extreme conditions) will go just about anywhere. Unfortunately most folks find that what it really does is allow the driver to drive faster than the safe driving speed in marginal conditions as AWD doesnt do anything when it comes to slow down.

Last edited:
Love my new Subaru Outback (30 mpg), and I also loved my '02 Outback but the mileage wasn't as good.
I like the RAV4 but there's not enough room in back.
I'd recommend you look into a used Forester or Outback, the later the model the better.

I have an AWD Honda Element. Its a 2009 basic model with no bells or whistles. The fact that the seats come out is great. I am short , 5'3", and feel comfortable driving the vehicle. We had alot of snow in Cape MAy this year and the car really handled well in the snow (I do not have snow tires) The drawbacks I see are; gas mileage is not the best and the location of the roof rack sucks. I did not get the factory rack and used the Thule I already had. (I don't think factory or self installed matters, its just the location of the rear back is poorly placed) If you are trying to load a kayak onto the roof from behind, you have a REALLY long distance from the edge to the first kayak saddle. Honestly, I have not kayaked alot this sumemr because its such a hassle for me to get the boat on and off the car. A Hulvator would help but they are not cheap. I also need to use a small stepstool to get both the kayak and my bike on and off the roof. I also hated dealing with Honda itself. I was getting phone calls, emails, snail mail surveys constantly; rate my performance on the sale, rate my performance on service on and on and on. I was getting multiple phone calls and emails a day. Most of this stopped when I told them I never buy another Honda again because of the harrassment.

It doesn't satisfy your "sleep-in" requirement, but have you considered a pickup truck (like the F-150) where you could sleep comfortably in its bed?

Where I work, 95% of the company-provided pickups are Fords. We're in the road construction business and haul gear, equipment, and crew all over New England. It's routine for these trucks to run 250,000+ miles before they get pulled off the road. They just pulled me out of my 2005 F-150 at 197,000 miles and put me in a Tacoma which I hate. :( Only 2 minor issues in those 5 years (besides regular maintenance) and I abused the heck out of that truck. It's still being used/abused by someone else.

FWIW, 2wd, 4.6 liter V8 and averaged 20 mpg.

I have an AWD Honda Element. Its a 2009 basic model with no bells or whistles. I am short , 5'3", and feel comfortable driving the vehicle.

My mom is 5'0 and drives an Element. I often wonder if anyone is actually driving the car because I can barely see her!

Where I work, 95% of the company-provided pickups are Fords. We're in the road construction business and haul gear, equipment, and crew all over New England. It's routine for these trucks to run 250,000+ miles before they get pulled off the road. They just pulled me out of my 2005 F-150 at 197,000 miles and put me in a Tacoma which I hate. :( Only 2 minor issues in those 5 years (besides regular maintenance) and I abused the heck out of that truck. It's still being used/abused by someone else.

FWIW, 2wd, 4.6 liter V8 and averaged 20 mpg.

No doubt the 2wd F-150 is a good truck in the road construction business, but ... whichway is looking for an AWD vehicle for a small person. How is an un-loaded 2wd F-150 in snow?

Bought my 02 Outback in January for $7000 with 98,000 miles and there are a bunch of them out there. I'll easily get 250,000 out of it, my last one died at 285,000. Better on rough dirt roads than pickup/suv and great in the snow.

Another vote for the Subaru Outback. I have a '01 with 101K on it. If you're tall it wouldn't be good for sleeping in, but sounds like thats not an issue. Great car. Mine is NOT for sale. :D

I rented a Kia Sportage last year for 2 weeks in Colorado.
The back seat and front passenger seat folded down flat and made for excellent hotel accommodations.

Throw her in 4 wheel drive and beat the crap out of that little baby. She went anywhere I asked her to go.

YMMV

Last edited: