Mt. Toubkal, Morocco -- Highest Point in the Arab World

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lava Lamp

Reaction score
My son Tony (18/NH 48) has been spending the summer between his freshman and sophomore years of college in Morocco, teaching English to Arabic-speaking children and teenagers. Perhaps inspired by the recent news stories claiming that the Appalachian Range originally stretched in an arc extending into Canada, Iceland, Spain and Morocco, he spent a weekend day hiking Mt. Toubkal, at 13,671 feet the tallest peak in the Arab world.

Heavy boots are not required, but appropriate head dress is recommended

Few moose, but some local color

In places, they overdo the cairns

Great views of the Atlas range

Tony reported no problem with altitude sickness, though others in his group suffered some

It was 110 degrees in Marakesh, but on Mt. Toubkal they made snow angels

The summit has a metal pyramid-like marker with plenty of graffitti

Caught in the act of violating AMC rules, he'll have to re-do this peak under his own power if he wants it to count

Neato! Interesting to see such different views.
Hope he is enjoying his time there.

My son Tony (18/NH 48) has been spending the summer between his freshman and sophomore years of college in Morocco . . . he spent a weekend day hiking Mt. Toubkal, at 13,671 feet the tallest peak in the Arab world.
Fantastically awesome! Talk about high-pointing!
I've only seen photos of this area in magazines. Thanks for sharing!

Roosevelt & Churchill historical tidbit

I seem to recall reading about Churchill taking Roosevelt to a village in Morroco that offered a view of Atlas Mts during one of their last big power conferences in Morroco during WWII. Churchill wanted to share this wonder of nature with his good freind and allie. Must have known he didn't have long to live with Roosevelt's failing health.