2010 Fall Foliage thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things have finally started to actually color up my way.

IMG_11221-11236.jpg

IMG_11200.jpg

Still an awful lot of green, though. I have a feeling this isn't going to be a great color year.

Yeah, when I hiked through Zealand on the 3rd, I was surprised at the bare birch trees in that area. Seems like foliage hit north of the notches a week or so early this year. The two days of wind and rain didn't help much, either. The southern Pemi was looking a bit past this weekend as well.

Blown away!

Grouseking, Neoakela, and Taconic,

I am blown away by your photos! They are gorgeous! Than you so much for sharing them and the beauty they captured.

Very appreciative,
Roxi

One of the reasons that I love hiking in Autumn...
Owls head slide

62293_1411725815725_1309897256_30985075_3421428_n.jpg

Bonds from black pond (on the way to owl's head)

62293_1411725935728_1309897256_30985078_567424_n.jpg

Ledges on the Blueberry Ledge trail

40115_1425226073223_1309897256_31013144_1577205_n.jpg

Last edited:
This got a little washed out, but its hard to shoot at Harvard Falls and not get 93 in it, so this was the best I could do:

1033435010_othgF-XL.jpg

OJI and Doubletop from Kidney Pond.

669893.JPG

Colors looked a little muted in Baxter this weekend but the evening light helped warm things up... there was a bit of snow on Katahdin all weekend.

Sawyer River road last week - complete with falling leaves:

Near first bridge on the Tuckerman Ravine trail:

Last edited:
This is a seriously awesome shot. One of the best in the "waterfall" category I've seen recently.
Thanks. I'm actually not that happy with it... the highlights are a bit blown. It's easier to see full size.

I like your first one. That's a lot of dynamic range. Is it a two exposure blend?

A few I shot yesterday:

IMG_11329.jpg

IMG_11353.jpg

IMG_11430.jpg

Looks like the color will be around for another week or so. Unfortunately, I managed to walk into a branch yesterday and apparently bruise my eyeball. It hurts like hell. :p And it's my right eye, so it looks like looking through the viewfinder is going to be tough for a while.

I'm hoping I can get one more weekend out of this fall.

Here are a few more from yesterday that I just processed. Hopefully the double post doesn't annoy anyone.

Same composition from last week, but with significantly lower water:
IMG_11316.jpg

IMG_11413.jpg

IMG_11368.jpg

IMG_11419.jpg

I still have a pano to stitch and process... but I'm far too lazy to do that at the moment. :p

No, just one exposure. I used a couple ND grad filters (which is why the rock on the left turns black at the top). I did do some subtle lightening afterwards.
Ah. I got rid of my grad NDs. I'm lazy and find it much easier to just bracket the shot +/- a stop or two than dig around in my pack for another filter. :p

You did a good job with it. That exposure was nailed. I've shot in similar conditions and haven't managed to pull it off that well.

This rules. What waterfall is this?
It doesn't have a name, though the brook that feeds it is the very creatively named Mountain Brook in Enders State Forest.

There's a good collection of waterfalls in the ravine. None of them are terribly big, but they're all worthwhile. I would have been reluctant to post about it years ago, but unfortunately the area has since been "discovered." It's routinely trashed by teenagers these days and I discovered some new bright pink graffiti on the rocks that wasn't there last month. Unfortunately, that's the way things go in CT.

I love that perspective looking straight down the falls! I've never tried that angle for a waterfall shot - that would be great for a few narrow flume falls around here. Excellent job with the exposure and focus on this one - I'd be hard pressed to get the foreground and background nice and crisp like you did! :)

I love that perspective looking straight down the falls! I've never tried that angle for a waterfall shot - that would be great for a few narrow flume falls around here. Excellent job with the exposure and focus on this one - I'd be hard pressed to get the foreground and background nice and crisp like you did! :)
Thanks. That's why I pack a 12mm lens. :p
The hyperfocal distance becomes awfully close when shooting that wide.

If you want the exposure: 12mm, 0.5sec @ f/13
I use a crop body, so that's about 15 or 16mm on full frame, I believe.

It seems like a dangerous way to shoot a waterfall, though... Hope you are being extra-careful getting that kind of shot.

From tonight:

IMG_11465.jpg

I missed the actual sunset by about two minutes, so I didn't get any good light. Still, it was a good night to be out.

I missed the actual sunset by about two minutes, so I didn't get any good light.
While it may not be one of those stunning photos from the magic hour; your photo exhibits the soft colors which are found in the subtle, afterglow of sunset. It is the quiet side of the magic hour. And I believe that your photo is quite beautiful in its simplicity.