Haystack Road finally has a sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
After a decade of giving people directions to Haystack Road of the form "when you reach Last Chance cabins, go back a hundred feet," there is finally a hiker symbol sign at the end of the road on Rte 3.

Photo attached.

After a decade of giving people directions to Haystack Road of the form "when you reach Last Chance cabins, go back a hundred feet," there is finally a hiker symbol sign at the end of the road on Rte 3.

Photo attached.

Still hard to see when you're going above 50 mph...... we hiked Peak Above the Nubble on Sunday.

Well, that's good. But it looks like it still doesn't actually identify the road, and the sign is pretty dinky. The people who own the cabins must be getting tired of cars turning around in their driveway. Proper signage would improve road safety, so folks don't slam on their brakes and make sudden turns un-warned by any turn signal.

Better than nothing for sure!

Awesome - Well at least it's a start. Mucho bettero than NO sign at all.

For all the traffic Haystack Rd gets I too was amazed there wasn't something labeling it. Seems common for many other logging and gravel roads too. While ANY sign would be most helpful, it seems we each struggle and somehow figure it out (from maps, hints from postings, or directions from locals) - but then we go on about our lives. And the newcomers are left to fend for themselves.

Just a guess, but I think the problem in many cases may be ownership/authorization. Many unnamed or unlabeled roads are on private land. Locals seem to know. But there's likely nobody officially responsible or authorized to put up or maintain any sign.

It's rather bizarre in this case though, that they spent the $$ for such a generic hiking sign (which is good) but still left the most helpful details (The NAME of the road, or what it accesses) unlabeled. :confused:

Such is life. :cool:

G

Still hard to see when you're going above 50 mph...... we hiked Peak Above the Nubble on Sunday.

My wife and I climbed Peak above the Nubble last Wednesday, saw your name in the cannister.

The notebook's almost completely full. We should have brought a replacement but didn't think of it. Also didn't know the protocol of leaving it there or bringing it with us, and were too besieged by blackflies to spend any time thinking about it.

So the next person please bring one. I don't think I'm ever going back.

The road is almost across from the Big, WMNF sign

(leaving the WMNF I think as you head west or south on 3 of course it could say entering the WMNF, I'm from CT, once I get past Exit 20 & see the first Moose X-ing sign, I just figure it's all WMNF:D)

A couple weekends ago I was driving behind a car on Rt. 3 that, as we got closer and closer to Haystack Road was going slower and slower (at one point we were almost down to 35MPH). I knew....KNEW....she was looking for Haystack Rd. and I laughed as she drove by it slower than ever. I took the turn and hummed out to the end of the road, and sure enough, about 10 minutes later the car comes rolling up and the woman asks "is this the North Twin trail?" :D I wanted to say "Sure hope so or it was one helluva long drive down the road to find out it ain't" but instead just said "yes". ;)

Brian