socks , socks , socks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tb69wemt

Reaction score
A friend just sent me this link.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gear...he-sock-market-part-ii-the-reviews/#more-5916

Just so happens I had a 25 dollar EMS gift card given to me today also :rolleyes: So I purchased the top rated pair and can't wait to try them.
Everybody always talks about what boot is the best, but boots are only as good as the sock and insoles used (IMHO). I know sock technology has come a long way in the last few years, So what socks do you like best? I have been using different Smart wool versions for the last several years and recently tried some Eddie Bauer medium weight hikers(which are awesome) Good socks add miles to the day and preserve the feet and prevent hot spots and blisters. I am thankfully blessed with blister proof feet not having gotten one in at least 20+ years....probably just doomed myself:eek:

So opinions ...thoughts

Darn Tough socks are listed in the review. I noticed these at EMS in Burlington, VT in June.

I have been wearing Smartwool for the last 8+ years. One of the associates happened by while I was browsing and mentioned that she tried out the Darn Tough recently and said they were awesome.

I didn't purchase because I figured I'd wait and get them back home. Unfortunately, the EMS stores in/around Boston are carrying a minimal selection (more like the running versions). Haven't seen them elsewhere yet.

When I can locate them, I will pick up a couple of pairs and give them a go this fall. They are made locally (Vermont) and for that, I'll give them a chance.

Walmart will soon have their hunting socks on the rack. They are only available during hunting season. Get them while you can. Thick, comfy, warm and cheap...I mean cost effective. It's them or Alpaca hiking socks.

I love my Smartwool socks - haven't tried DarnTough but I might the next time I need new ones.

I've also tried cheaper/house-brand versions from both REI and EMS, and while they seem comparable at first, they don't hold their shape as well and wear out faster than the Smartwools. In the long run I don't think they saved me any money.

I have Darn Toughs and Smartwools.... Both are great socks - Smartwool is definately easier to find - though I'm only a hop skip and a jump from VT and DTs are fairly easy to find over there (not hard to believe given that they are a local product)

I use the LL Bean sock which, I believe, is made by Smartwool and have had excellent luck. And the sceonds are pretty cheap if you can catch them at the outlet. I really don't mind if the lettering is a little crooked.

Thorlo III's for me. They seem to last quite a while. I did buy a pair of Smartwools at the end of winter last year and plan on testing them with my plastics this winter, but I'll be sure to have some Thorlos in my pack just in case.

I've been using some Wigwam wool-blend socks for some years now, and just in the past few years started wearing Injinji socks as liners under them. I, too, got a $25 EMS gift card for my B-day in July, and got 4 new pairs of Injinjis (buy 3 get the 4th free!) and paid about $7 out of pocket. I'm wearing a pair at work right now, they are soooooooo comfortable!!!

I bought a couple pair of merino wool socks with a brand name that I cannot recall in New Zealand last January, as they were cheaper than my Smartwool socks. But, they are not as well designed and not wearing as well as the Smartwool. Moreover, Smartwool has been taking a politically correct stand, in my opinion, in their attempt to end mulesing of merino sheep.

http://www.savethesheep.com/f-smartwool.asp

And, not to hijack the thread, but how are Tom and Kate Chappell doing with their new merino wool underwear venture in Maine?

http://mainebusiness.mainetoday.com/story_pf.php?id= 299012&ac=

Great Link TB - thanks!

I discovered the value of great socks last year when I got some cheaper ones based on more than a decade without blisters and got a few. Since then I've stuck with Darn tough almost exclusively - they do better wet on day 3 than the competitive REI socks do dry on day 1. I've also had very good luck with smart wool and decent luck with Thorlo's. For me, however, the Darn Tough's have been the best.

For high mileage summer days backpacking over rough terrain, I found after trying multiple sock shoe combinations that trail runners with 1/4 cut Darn Tough hikers under floppier socks (like the 1/4 cut REI hikers) was just about perfect, even if they were soaked.

Last edited:
I use smartwool socks quite a bit. I have a few pairs of LLbean wool socks and they all fell apart in the back.

I found Darn tough socks to be a little too snug for my liking. The parent company of Darn Tough, Cabot Hosiery Mills, has a sock sale every November in Northfield, VT. They do have Darn Tough on sale at those events.

My experience with specialized “hiking” socks (Smartwool type) is limited because I haven’t found them to offer substantial advantage over my old standby, a traditional ragg wool boot sock over a lightweight (wool is best) liner sock. The specialized socks always have seemed overly expensive and less durable than my traditional combos.

Of course, the ragg wool socks are getting harder to find all the while.

Using socks to compensate for boots that don’t fit well is trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, in my opinion. Boots and socks that fit your feet well are the heavenly (and right) combo.

G.

Carthart - marino wool - they rule. Smartwool I like, but don't protect my feet as well.

I use Darn Tough and Dahlgren for my 3 season socks. In the winter I use Dahlgren Expedition weights exclusively.

Darn Tough for me as well. I used to use the SmartWool hikes exclusively and have a pair of Alpaca wool socks but the Darn Tough ones work the best for my sweaty feet. I will admit they are a little snug, but I like them that way.

<shameless plug>
For those in or around central Mass, there's a nice shop called Trail Head in the center of Orange, MA that sells them. They are a little pricey on gear, but if you subscribe to their e-mail newsletter and/or follow them on Facebook it seems like they're always running a sale or a special event where everything in store is xx% off and a portion of all sales goes to a local cause. Plus they try to carry locally made products whenever possible. I don't mind spending a bit extra to keep my money and my vehicle local (it's only 3 miles form the house).
</shameless plug>

Just my two cents

One vote here for Injinji peformance weight socks. I struggle with blisters in between the ring and middle toes usually when doing long miles after the foot has been wet for a long time. This has solved my problem. I had always worn mid weight merino wool running socks (Smartwool or EMS) with a healthy dose of Bodyglide or Vaseline.
On a side not I also struggle with severe pruning of the feet even in winter from sweat alone which often results in mild to severe pain on the bottom of the foot. One time (26 hour 13 peak winter pemi loop) I was almost unable to walk after removing my boots at lincoln woods. The thinner synthetic material of the Injinji's alone seems to be greatly reducing this problem. YAY!!

Darn Tough for me as well. I used to use the SmartWool hikes exclusively and have a pair of Alpaca wool socks but the Darn Tough ones work the best for my sweaty feet. I will admit they are a little snug, but I like them that way.

<shameless plug>
For those in or around central Mass, there's a nice shop called Trail Head in the center of Orange, MA that sells them. They are a little pricey on gear, but if you subscribe to their e-mail newsletter and/or follow them on Facebook it seems like they're always running a sale or a special event where everything in store is xx% off and a portion of all sales goes to a local cause. Plus they try to carry locally made products whenever possible. I don't mind spending a bit extra to keep my money and my vehicle local (it's only 3 miles form the house).
</shameless plug>

Also...Adventure Outfitters in Hadley sells them to.