Adirondacks easier peaks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghiker 2002

Reaction score
I'll be near the Adirondacks over Columbus Day weekend with a friend who can do short to medium hikes. I'm hoping to climb my first of the Northeast 111 outside of New England. Any suggestions on easier trails/peaks with good rewards for my out of town guest?

Hurricane, Cascade, Phelps and Round Mtns. are 4 real nice medium peaks. Expect crowds on Cascade.

Easy: Rooster Comb, Baxter, Catamount, Mt Jo. I've never done these but have heard you get a lot of bang for your hiking buck.

RoosterComb is pretty nice from Rt 73, you can also add Mt VanHoevenberg to the list. You can check out the bobsled run on the other side...

Jay

Of the peaks Neil lists, only Cascade and Phelps are on the 111 list. Cascade is an excellent first choice...nice trail, not too steep, great rocky top with huge views...plus you can bag a second 111, the adjacent Porter, on the way down.

I recently did Big Crow from Crows Clearing and was extremely impressed with the views for the effort.
Basically, @700 ft in .7 miles, takes about 20-30 minutes to get up.

Here I am.
2892815320078405175S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
Owl's Head Lookout; Gilligan; Hurricane; Mt. Jo; and Hopkins, which, for modest effort, provides a TREMENDOUS reward.

Or if you want to look outside the High Peaks, check out mountains like Pharoh Mt. near Schroon Lake; Blue Mountain near Blue Mountain Lake and you can check out the Adironack Museum while you're there---this is a great way to spend part of your day after hiking; Crane Mountain NE of Warrensburg in the town of Thurman; Buck or Black Mountain near Lake George; Poke-o-Moonshine is another easier climb with nice rewards NW of the High Peaks; some more easier to moderate hikes in the High Peaks would be Noonmark or Round off 73 in the town of Keene; I climbed Hurricane Mt this past weekend and that's a good option too. I would highly recommend the less popular route from a side road off Rt 9N in Elizabethtown that approaches the Mt. from the East side. It's a little steeper climb, but you will miss the crowds until you hit the summit. ENJOY!

Last edited:
Don't forget Owl's Head (not the lookout, but the little peak in Cascade Pass), Pitchoff (do the end to end traverse for constantly changing amazing views), Baxter (15 minute hike from 9N), Snow Mountain in Keene Valley, and the Giant's Nubble.

Most of these "non 46 peaks with views and a trail" are very popular, and deservedly so. Enjoy the views and the nice company!

TCD

If you want to knock something off your 111 list, Cascade and Porter are the way to go.

If you are looking to provide fantastic views for a friend who may not be able to do a 111 hike, Mt. Jo is great! Sometimes, it's better NOT to be in the middle of the "view", but on the edge where the view is most "viewable". It was gorgeous! :D

It's not in the 111 but I would recommend Noonmark over Cascade..Its an all around better climb and you can go off trail nearing the summit if you want to technically climb the last 50 feet, there are plenty of little heard paths so you can keep from damaging spots. The views are the best I have seen on a peak of its size in the daks.

The elevation is not that of Cascade but Noonmark involves a bit more ascent I believe. The Great Range and Dixes are right in front of you and the perspective of the steepness of the Great Range is quite amazing.

anita514 said:
How do you get to Catamount?

Its off the Forestdale Rd, town of Black Brook. The trail head isnt marked very well, usually a surveyor tape on a branch. Shouldnt have any problems finding it this time of year usually a car or two parked near it.

I think this is probably Catamount:

The trail head looks like this:

Image-61B4287A26D211DB.jpg

Check the ADK High Peaks guide for directions. Heading east, the trail head is on your left, just before a little jog in the road. It was a little earlier than I expected it to be by my car's odometer, so I went past it. When we went back, two cars had parked there in the few minutes we'd spent around the bend walking back and forth.