Is it hunting season?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
I was driving home along the Kanc yesterday and saw a dark (green?) pickup truck off the pavement along the side of the road. Two men were gearing up to head into the woods. One was carrying a large orange bucket (the kind you can get at home depot) and had a rifle slung over his shoulder. Just wondering what that might have been about.

Looks like it depends on what is being hunted but September marks the oveall start.. I'd wear something bright.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting_dates_and_seasons.htm

Sept. 1 - Nov. 23, 2010 Black bear/end dates vary for method and WMU
Sept. 2010 - Jan. 2011 Waterfowl/dates vary by species and zone
Sept. 25-26, 2010 Youth waterfowl weekend (Saturday and Sunday)
Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Deer/archery (Note: During September 15-30, archers may only take legally antlered bucks statewide; season closes on Dec. 8 in WMU A)
Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Fall turkey/archery
Oct. 11 - Oct. 15, 2010 Fall turkey/shotgun (in certain WMUs only); Monday - Friday
Sept. 2010 - March 2011 Small game/dates vary by species and region
Oct. 1 - Dec. 31 Pheasant
Oct. 16 - Oct. 24, 2010 Moose (by permit only)
Oct. 23 - 24, 2010 Youth deer-hunting weekend
Oct. 30 - Nov. 9, 2010 Deer/muzzleloader
Nov. 10 - Dec. 5, 2010 Deer/regular firearms (closes November 28 in WMU A)

I was driving home along the Kanc yesterday and saw a dark (green?) pickup truck off the pavement along the side of the road. Two men were gearing up to head into the woods. One was carrying a large orange bucket (the kind you can get at home depot) and had a rifle slung over his shoulder. Just wondering what that might have been about.

What that was about, was baiting for bears. The season opened on September 1. The season for hunting over bait runs to September 21 or 28, depending on where it's done in NH.

Anyone wanting to know the particulars of hunting seasons should check the link posted by Stash for NH, plus these for Massachusetts, Maine, and Vermont.

You'll notice that I haven't tried to summarize the dates. That's impossible here, and it's why anyone interested is advised to read the info at the respective links and know what the dates are for the area(s) of interest.

Coming back from Adams last evening, I saw a car diving along side the shoulder shinning a large spot light into the woods. I hope they were not jack lighting!!

Coming back from Adams last evening, I saw a car diving along side the shoulder shinning a large spot light into the woods. I hope they were not jack lighting!!

Next time, note the license plate and report it to the game wardens!

Once the Northern Zone deer rifle season starts in the ADKs, I always wear blaze a orange hat and vest. Blaze orange is much more visible than other colors, such as red. And a hat puts it up as high as you can, to increase visibility.

As far as I know, there is no law against spotting deer and other wildlife with high powered lights, but I don't think you can have a gun in the vehicle.

Illuminating

Maine Regs:

Illuminating Wildlife and Illegal use of
lights. From September 1 to December
15, it is unlawful to use artificial lights from
1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before
sunrise to illuminate, jack, locate, attempt
to locate or show up wild animals or wild
birds except raccoons which may be hunted
at night with electric flashlights during the
open season (see page 28 for details.)

I will leave interpretation to you and the warden.