Blueberry Ledge Trail on Whiteface (NH)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
I was thinking of hiking this trail for FOT48 but I've not been on it before. The White Mountain Guide reads like it could be rough given the fact that my pack will be full and unstable with 4 foot long aluminum pole sections, flags, and other gear. Any first-hand beta?

I was thinking of hiking this trail for FOT48 but I've not been on it before. The White Mountain Guide reads like it could be rough given the fact that my pack will be full and unstable with 4 foot long aluminum pole sections, flags, and other gear. Any first-hand beta?

You should be fine this time of year. There is one steep inside corner that could be an obstacle for poles sticking out of your pack, but you can climb the face to the right by using tree branches for holds.

You shouldn't have any trouble. I've carried 40 lbs of trail tools (including a 5' pry bar) lashed to a frame pack loaded for a three-day trip over this trail on my way to Sleeper Trail and when I was done I still thought it was quicker than using either McCrillis or Downes Brook. And definitely dryer than Downes Brook, although right now that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Go for it. You can use the flag pole to pole-vault the five-foot steps.

The other option is to come in via the Downes Brook trail from the Kanc, then take the Kate Sleeper trail for a short distance to the Summit. It is well graded top to bottom.

My son (then 10 years old) and I did Whiteface for FOT48 in 2005. Blueberry Ledge Trail was a piece o' cake, even with the flagpole paraphenalia.

In bad or slippery weather...and perhaps you could add heavy off balance loads to this..I have gone up Dicey mIlls and cut across Rollins and back a few times..Adds to the length of the trip by a couple of miles but does avoid the series of ledges on Blueberry..pretty good footing..much preferable to the very wet Downes Brook Trail for sure

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It looks like Saturday will be dry so I'm going for it! I'll come down a different route though since I'm planning on heading over to passaconaway after I take down my flags. Hope to see some folks up on the peaks for this very special event.

I did Whiteface/East Sleeper last week from Blueberry. I think the only problem will be when you hit the ledges the last 500 feet or so. There's a couple of tight spots but nothing that should be a problem. You may want to take the poles off your pack at that point (if you're carrying them on your back) just to make it easier.
You'll probably have more trouble on Rollins as you descend over to Passaconaway.