Borah Pk, Highpoint of Idaho. 07-29-2010 (A late TR)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmus

Reaction score
I got very lazy lately, and today I realized I never posted a TR for our day hike up Borah Pk, last highpoint of our summer vacations.

We didn't ''Chicken Out'' on the ridge, but there was some moments I stopped breathing :eek:

Overall it's a beautiful mountain, very fun to climb. A lot of people is hiking there, even during the week.

3,5 miles from TH to summit, 5200' vertical ascent :eek: Footing is excellent until you reach the ridge, after that it's class 3 scramble and side-hilling in scree.

Last edited:
Fine TR and photos, especially the view from near the summit ridge looking north in which you can see the trace of the 28 October 1983 earthquake, which also left a 2-meter vertical displacement near the old Borah Peak trailhead (fault scarp there probably fairly well healed by now?). During historic time, the last remaining glacier in Idaho was plastered against the north face of Borah, but it could be gone by now?

Here is a link to a couple of Borah Peak earthquake photos.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1983_10_28_photos.php

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Julie. I only have three "tough" highpoints left and this is one of them. It's great to have the photos you posted. So, how bad was it really? I have to admit, this one has me a little nervous.

During historic time, the last remaining glacier in Idaho was plastered against the north face of Borah, but it could be gone by now?

A lot of snow, but no glacier remains I believe.

So, how bad was it really? I have to admit, this one has me a little nervous.

You'll be just fine, from what I know you did I have no doubt you can easily do that. It's a little bit exposed, but the moves are easy.

We saw two middle age women up on the Chicken Out Ridge, with their 10 or 12 years old sons... What was funny is that the fathers (and uncle) were waiting for them just below the ridge, sun bathing and watching the rest of the family going for the summit with binoculars... They said they started the scramble but then felt it was not worthy !!!