Stairs/Davis/Isolation loop: Rocky Branch>Stairs Col>Davis>Isolation>RockyBr (9/1/10)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Wolverine

Stairs/Davis/Isolation loop: Rocky Branch>Stairs Col>Davis>Isolation>RockyBr (9/1/10)

Date of Hike: September 1, 2010 (11:00am - 9:00pm)

Trail Conditions:

Rocky Branch Trail from Jericho Road to RB Shelter #1 and then Stairs Col Trail westward up to the Davis Path were clean, easy-going, and dry underfoot. Flowing water was still present and filterable up in higher reaches of Stairs Col Trail.

Davis Path northward from Stairs Col junction had a few occasional muddy/wet spots and blowdowns, but was otherwise in good shape. Several other blowdowns had been chopped through already. Encountered standing water and some slow trickles at several points along the ridge that probably would've been filterable in a pinch. Seems like this stretch of trail sees little use -- I must've broken a couple hundred cobwebs with my face going through here. The sign to the "downlook" is getting overgrown and is easy to miss, although the side trail itself is obvious and clear. Side trails to Stairs Mtn/Giant Stairs, Mt Davis, and Mt Isolation are all in equally fine condition as the Davis Path itself. The signage for the side paths seemed easier to spot heading northbound though (as I was) than if one were coming from the opposite direction.

Isolation Trail coming down off the ridge was quite wet (as usual), although not terribly so. River crossings were easy rock-hops. Around the tent sites near the top of the trail, some jokers have twisted/rotated the signposts 90 degrees in the ground, so it makes it slightly more confusing to navigate through the cross-trails up there.

Rocky Branch Trail from Shelter #2 down to Shelter #1 is in rough shape -- it is quite overgrown, mostly un-blazed, and occasionally hard to follow. River crossings were again fairly simple rock-hops, but the true challenge was hoping that the trail picked back up on the other side where you'd hope it would. (It also didn't help that I did this entire section after dark via headlamp.) Once the trail finally returns to the west side of the river for good though and you emerge from the Presidential Range-Dry River Wilderness, it becomes wider and easier to follow for the home stretch in to Shelter #1. Final two miles back out to Jericho Rd trailhead were smooth and uneventful.

Comments: Beautiful day, beautiful loop (except for that rough stretch between Shelters #1 and #2). It was pretty neat to do a near-20-mile day and see exactly ZERO other people the entire time. "Mount Isolation" indeed! Biting flies on top of Davis and Isolation were somewhat aggressive, but it didn't hinder the incredible views any -- both of those peaks are wonderful (and Giant Stairs ain't so bad either). I did not attempt to whack over to the true summit of Davis, as my daylight was beginning to run out by that point.

Your name: Wolverine

Your E-mail address: sbekkala AT umich DOT edu