Mt. Abraham: Fire Warden's Trail (8/30/10)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Wolverine

Date of Hike: August 30, 2010 (12:30pm - 5:30pm)

Trail Conditions: Just getting to the trailhead was half the battle -- the road in is an adventure in itself. Aside from driving slooooow and dodging the large sharp-looking rocks in the road, the only real obstacle was the first of the two consecutive bridge crossings, which currently has some loose 2x4's in place to help vehicles get across to the other side. Regardless, my trusty ol' Ford Focus wagon made it all the way to the trailhead in one piece.

The Fire Warden's Trail itself was well-blazed and easy to follow. There were a few muddy stretches here and there (particularly in the lower elevations) and an occasional blowdown to step over or under, but otherwise the trail was in good shape. The four small stream crossings prior to reaching the cabin all had flowing water with several good spots from which to filter. The cabin itself is in pretty sorry shape, but it made for a good rest spot before beginning the big ascent up the mountain. The spring down to the right of the cabin had some unpleasant-looking standing water in it -- the last stream crossing before the cabin definitely made for a much better water source.

The trail after the cabin goes straight up the mountain (old-school Maine-style) with few switchbacks to speak of. For such an aggressive angle, the trail is still in pretty solid shape with little erosion to speak of. From treeline up to the summit, there aren't many blazes or cairns along the way, but it's still pretty easy/obvious to stay on the trail, as a "lane" has been routed through the talus heading up to the top.

The base of the firetower is still standing on top, and the bunker-style emergency shelter is nearby. I particularly liked the stone "throne" that someone has built on the secondary summit there.

Comments: I've always wanted to climb Abraham ever since my AT thru-hike in '03 -- it's a truly beautiful-looking mountain from most any angle. So it was wonderful to finally get to return here, seven years later, and to visit it on such a glorious, cloudless day. Perfect weather. This was the last non-NH 4000-footer on my list -- I only have 10 more to go now, all in the Whites!

Your name: Wolverine

Your E-mail address: sbekkala AT umich DOT edu