Vermont 4K this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I'm thinking about joining him.
:D

What'd you have in mind, Tony? Something not too long a drive? I haven't bought any VT hiking guides or maps yet. How much would it bug you if I kept stopping to take pictures of the foliage ... I know you're a faster hiker than I am, anyway.
:eek:

Hi there,

I was thinking of either Abraham and Ellen (2, 4K's...) or Killington (4K)and Pico (NE highest 100 list) or Camels Hump. I prefer to maximize the number of 4k's on each trip......

I bought the Long Trail Guide a few weeks ago. It is OK, but not as detailed as the WM Guide.

Tony

I have Jared Gange's book on order.

Screw thinking about it. The weather's going to be awesome. Count me in!

My vote would be Ellen & Abraham. Two for the price of one, and not a longer drive than the Whites. Killington's close enough to go anytime.
:)

Which route were you thinking? The round-trip sounds wicked easy (and necessary, if we carpool).

I agree, lets do Ellen and Abraham. If we go from Appalachian Gap to Ellen and Abraham out and back, we are looking at 11.6 miles, 7 hours r/t, and 2,500 feet elevation gain. It is also an out and back on the same route. The Jerusalem/Long trail out and back is 10.5 miles, 6.5 hours r/t and 2,300 feet gain.

We'll need to take I- 93 to to I-89 to VT route 100 to route 17.

Bring the camera, we'll stop along the way......

What time and where do you want to meet?? Oh,probably looking at a 3 hour drive. :rolleyes:

Tony :cool:

I can come up Rte 3 and meet you at your place, or we can shoot for a location further up Rte 89 if you know of a good spot. I don't care if I'm driver or passenger.

It'd be ideal if I didn't have to leave before 5:30am, but I can do earlier if necessary. I think it took me 35 or 40 minutes to get to you last time.

If we start from the north I'd prefer the Jerusalem Trail in order to avoid General Stark Mtn. I also have no objections to going from Lincoln Gap which has the least climb.

I've still got the directions from last time, will be at your place at 6:30, and will gladly be a passenger for a change.
:)

Any other takers out there?

This whole thread is sooooo unfair! I'm gonna be stuck indoors at a conference with a bunch of editors!

MichaelJ,

I'll bring the Long Trail Guide, and get hold a VT highway map tomorrow after at work.

I'll see you at 6:30, need to stop for coffee though...........

Alpinista,

:) Hopefully you can make the next expedition!!

Tony

I don't mind driving as well and going gap-gap (is Lincoln => Appalachian the better way?).

I can't hike Sunday, I'm going to visit my parents, but if we do the separate cars it's not a worry for you...

Leave no stragglers.

If you do Killington, do Pico and Mendon, why not? Lots of us have done Mendon, Killington, Pico in a day.

You can save 20 + minutes of drive time by getting off Rte 89 at exit 4 (Randolph) and taking Rte 12A to Roxbury and taking the Roxbury Gap over to Rte 100 in Warren.

Be sure to stop at the Den for a drink and dinner after your hike!

cantdog said:
I did Abraham & Ellen with Christopher Garby and it was @11 miles. They are the only VT 4s that can be done in a single day hike.
Err, I am not really sure about that ...

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3498
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3534
http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/hike-from-heck.html
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1769

Even ordinary mortals can do Mansfield in the morning and Camel's Hump n the afternoon of a moderately long day (9.4 miles and 5,100 feet, doing Mansfield by the Long Trail and Camel's Hump by the Burrow's Trail).

I vote for Gap to Gap

My husband and I did the up and over hike last weekend with Meri, a(gasp) lurker of this here site! We went from Lincoln to App and man what a day! A great hike along the wooded ridge with occasional views and the easiest, highly enjoyable 11.6 miles ever with an amazing view from Abraham.

If you go on Saturday...you might want to check out American Flatbread on your way home for dinner. They are in Waitsfield and make really good wood fired pizza in an interesting atmosphere. I've never eaten at that one, but at the spin off in Portland ME. The Purple Moon Pub was where we went cuz it was Sunday. They were good too. Had Long Trail Ale pints for $2.50 on special. Cool.

Anyway, have a great day. Enjoy the beautiful weather. I'll be enviously wishing I were hiking... but instead I shall be helping my Mother in Law move. Oh joy of joys!

Rock on~
T.Co.

Beautiful weather? The one time it's supposed to rain is tomorrow afternoon!
:rolleyes:

Oh, well. No worries. Well, except for walking on wet leaves...

MichaelJ,

I just got in and am heading home shortly (finally)........another wonderful day of meetings. :rolleyes:

I deem no rain tomnorrow until we are done, so we should be OK (the weather guru's are talking early to late evening).

So do you want to take 2 cars and do the traverse, or out and back?????

Tony :)

Either's fine with me. We don't need to decide until I get to your place, really.
:D

I like the idea of not driving; I also like the idea of an easier hike. I can justify it either way...