Baxter State Park - Northwest Basin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
LINK TO TRIP REPORT
Hi all - I am trying to consolidate all of my writings into one place - so this time my TR is on my blog - report is long, but not as long as usual and has pics embedded - at the bottom of the review there is a link to many more pics (from each of four days) and a panoramic video shot at Davis Pond.

Thanks to Marty and Larry for being great hiking companions - the perfect combination of humor when needed and seriousness when needed - would go through hell with these two.

Sorry that Eric who organized this had to bail at the last minute - until next year!

Nice to meet fellow VFTTer Big Moose on the trail.

LINK TO TRIP REPORT

Mike -
Great to encounter you, Marty and Larry at the Wassataquoik Stream crossing. Nice circuit you guys planned. I was hoping to bump into you again on the Northwest Basin Trail Wednesday morning as I searched for the elusive, long abandoned Mullen Pond Tote Road, but no such luck. I did find the old trail eventually and got to the top of Mullen just as the skies opened up. Cold, wet, windy hypothermia conditions. Very happy when I got back to the leanto at Russell Pond for dry clothes and hot sustenance!
Sounds like an enjoyable time for you three despite less than bluebird weather.
Sunny skies next year, for sure!

jt

Hey Mike,
that is a great account of our journey. Here are a few photos to supplement yours:

Another shot of beautiful Davis Pond:

ry%3D480

Larry and Mike ascending the NW Basin Stream (I mean Trail), above Davis Pond:

ry%3D480

Mike and Larry ascending Talus Field on NW Basin Trail to treeline:

ry%3D480

Delicious high mountain blueberries on the Katahdin Tableland!

ry%3D480

Mike and Larry descending Tableland to the Saddle Junction with Baxter Peak in background:

ry%3D480

View of Cathedral Trail and the Knife Edge:

ry%3D480

View to the east from Tableland. S. Turner is on the left and Katahdin Lake is the largest of the water bodies:

ry%3D480

Back at the Saddle again:

ry%3D480

Chimney Pond from the Saddle trail:

ry%3D480

Basin Ponds from the Dudley Trail (what a great trail, btw!):

ry%3D480

Looking up the Dudley Trail:

ry%3D480

Partially fogged-in Katahdin from Blueberry Knoll (a very worthwhile side trip):

ry%3D480

Attached is a link with all my pix: http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=d02fbbe355de3e323315f89dbf2f35f7&sid=0YYtW7Vo1YsUC

Like Mike said, it was also great to run into Big Moose and we really missed not having Tuco join us.

For me, there is clearly nowhere in the East that can compare to the magnificence of Baxter. So glad I got to experience it again with good friends.

Best Regards,
Marty

Nice pics Marty - a great time for sure.
Audrey - the rain cover made it look that big...it was only around 35 pounds...not too bad. I have it trimmed way back - probably by 15 pounds over my first backpacking trips! :cool:

Thanks for the TR and pics Mike and the pics Marty. As usual, a good time was had by all (most of the time)! We missed you Tuco.

Nice meeting you Big Moose. We were wondering if we would run into you on the NW Basin Trail while you were on your way to Mullen.

Mike, nice trip report. These are my favorite kind of trip reports ... backpacking into remote places with a few good friends. I like when I have to take out my map to see exactly where someone went. Hope you guys keep doing it every year.

Mike-

Great, tr and Marty and Mike great pix.

Havng to cancel was a no-brainer but missed this trip immensely. Look forward to more memorable times in the mountains with all of you.

"Thanks to Marty and Larry for being great hiking companions - the perfect combination of humor when needed and seriousness when needed - would go through hell with these two. "

Mike- you haven't at some point already?? ;)

LINK TO TRIP REPORT
Hi all - I am trying to consolidate all of my writings into one place - so this time my TR is on my blog - report is long, but not as long as usual and has pics embedded - at the bottom of the review there is a link to many more pics (from each of four days) and a panoramic video shot at Davis Pond.
You've done a nice job with your blog. The video link for Davis Pond provides a real sense of what it was like being at that beautiful spot.